It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:01

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Mar 2008, 00:39 • #26 
Master Guide
Thanks for sharing, guys. Looks like a good time ... wish I lived a bit closer.
Lou

Post 17 Mar 2008, 05:25 • #27 
Guide
It was so much fun! I put a rod and Gathering review in the forum Fishing Section.
-Steve

Post 17 Mar 2008, 11:13 • #28 
Master Guide
First being the local guy, I am really spoiled having these great waters, and Mike so close. I really enjoyed my time with everyone, but had mixed feelings having to cut the weekend short, and missed the steak dinner., but first grandchild's first birthday is without comparison. Where to start: Mike and his lovely wife(Sister-in-law is also a real sweetheart) were the BEST host, the food was out of this world and they are just kind folks. Enjoyed hanging with Steve, Bob, Duff(Please get your camera fix, it must have added a false weight image), Glenn, Wayne and tossing some great rods. Not owning, as of yet glass, I was able to test cast all of the major brands of fiberglass, and bamboo that I will only dream about.Now I hear that I had both Bob and Duff to bribe to own the wonderful 8' 3 piece 5 wght rod.Happy to have it gone to Bob, as I will order up the next one, the reel handle was the prettiest that I have ever seen. But the casting action made this rookie not too shy to cast in the shadows of the finest fly fishermen that I have seen gathered at the same location at one time. This rod simply is better than any of my top-level graphites. One final note on Mike's associates Glenn and Wayne, not to step outside any forum rules, but anyone looking for the highest level instructional videos of tying the coolest patterns should contact Mike if interested. These guys can tie at world class level. Just a super time, Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcomed

Post 17 Mar 2008, 11:39 • #29 
Master Guide
... Hey JAS, you're right about Wayne's camera ... there's gotta be something wrong with it ... I just know I'm more "svelt" than I appear ... and I don't recall having any grey hair or crows feet either! ... good thing I didn't take off my hat!..Image ...

... and I really wasn't falling asleep at the table ... I was just faking it for the camera ... I can still stay up until 2:30 AM ... Really! ... Now why would I lie?! Image
Bob

Post 17 Mar 2008, 14:14 • #30 
Wow, What a great time!
Thanks to Mike and his Family for hosting a great event. We really enjoy meeting everyone, casting some great rods and just hanging out. As for the rods, there were so many great one to choose from. My personal favorite was Mike's 7'2" 3wt Anniversary Model what a Brook Trout Machine just visualize your shoot, pull the trigger and a bulls eye everytime.
The Little Wayfinder also had a great time but, he was unable to hook his first George Harvey Spruce Creek Trout maybe next time. We are already planning our return trip to The Rivers Edge Guest House.
Once again thanks to everyone for a great time.
The Wayfinder

Post 17 Mar 2008, 22:51 • #31 
Administrator
Bob ... I don't think anyone said you were falling asleep. I just noticed that this "Dapper Fellow": ...

... turns into this "Happy Fellow" after a long night of good fellowship and spirits in the cup.

As more is written and more photos are posted about this "Gathering" I can tell that all who attended had a great time and I feel bad that I missed out on this one.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Mar 2008, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Mar 2008, 01:12 • #32 
Master Guide
HA! ... Absolutely! ... If it wasn't for the hard wooden chairs and desire to listen and learn, I would have been snoring two hours prior! (2 small glasses of wine and only a half glass of single malt put me in snooze mode) ... But I just could not pull myself away from the great conversations and Glenn & Wayne's tying skills and videos! ... Coolest tying kits I've ever seen ... and the videos present exceptional clarity and explicit details ... just look at the pic showing their PC screen to Mike's right ... If you can't tie a decent bug after spending time with these guys, then ya better buy your bugs or take up tennis ... Seriously! ... It was all such a great relaxing, social and educational time ...
Bob

Last edited by bob4st on 18 Mar 2008, 01:16, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Mar 2008, 05:59 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Wow ... how could I skip this thread! Thanks friends for the great report! Those are all great photos! Wish I was there ...

Post 20 Mar 2008, 14:12 • #34 

Ok, I am totally new to this site ... I am the one with the camera that seems to take pics that are a bit out of proportion. Now you see why I spend my time on the other side of the lens ... I posted these earlier but must have resized them wrong so the looked horrible. Anyway, it was a great time, nice place, new and old friends and a ton of fantastic fly rods to cast ... Thanks for the nice complements on the fly tying ... Wayne

Post 20 Mar 2008, 14:57 • #35 
Master Guide
Sure looks like a grand time ... wish I could have been there. I did see that 7 weight with the fighting butt in the picture of the rod table ... that really got my attention ... might be just the thing to fish the flats here in Sarasota with. It's kind of startling for a south Florida flyflinger like myself to be looking at pictures of people all bundled up ... been a long time since I had to dress like that ... I spend about 360 days a year in shorts and sandals. But it sure looked like a bunch of gorgeous rods and a group of good friends sharing fun, food and drink. The more I cast my few good glass rods, the more appeal they seem to have. Mike McFarland sure turns out a beautiful rod.

Post 20 Mar 2008, 16:38 • #36 
I talked to Mike about that rod this past weekend, I want him to make me one without the wood reelseat for just that, my parents stay in ft myers beach and am looking forward to fishing down there with a glass rod ... Wayne

Post 02 Apr 2008, 18:06 • #37 
Inactive
For everyone who attended the first gathering, and those who would have liked to but did not, I am planning another event for July. I will post details soon.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply