It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:04

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Feb 2008, 19:11 • #1 
Inactive
I will be having an informal rod gathering in Spruce Creek the weekend of March 15th and 16th. Everyone is invited and there is no charge to attend. The event will take place at the Rivers Edge Guest House www.riversedgeguesthouse.com on the banks of the Little Juniata River in the town of Spruce Creek. I will have "as many glass rods as possible" on hand to test cast and maybe a few to fish. I will also provide lunch (burgers, shiskebabs, chicken, sausages, etc. grilled by my wife Amanda) both Saturday and Sunday and there will of course be some good PA beer on hand. In addition to myself, Glenn Weisner and Wayne Samson from Glenn River Fly Co will also be in attendance. The three of us will be available to answer questions on rods, casting, flies, or pretty much anything else we can make up lies about.

I am planning on the events starting at 10:00am and lasting until about 4:00pm. As anyone from the North East knows, the weather in March can be a little unpredictable. It could be 70 degress or it could be snowing. We could have a nice BWO hatch or the river could be blown out from runoff. Given this fact we will kind of plan this as we go. Hopefully we will have decent water and we can all fish the C&R section of the Little J right in front of the Guest House. If not, we will hang out in the yard, cast rods, tell stories, drink a few beers, and eat some good grub. A few board members have already committed. You are encouraged to bring your favorite rods wether they are modern or vintage glass, bamboo, or graphite. Yes, your Steffens, D-glass's, and T&T's etc. are more than welcome. My vision here is to not only get people to cast my rods, but more importantly to meet some of you guys (and ladies?), cast some rods, and just have a great time.

In addition to the Little J, we are also about 1/2 mile from the confluence of Spuce Creek. Unfortunately most of this is private, but there is a nice small section section owned by Penn State and open to the public. We are also just upstream from the exclusive Spring Ridge Club, so if anyone has an extra $80,000 laying around and wants to be forever banned from owning a McFarland rod, you can go ahead and sign up for a membership while you are in town. Some of the best fishing though is right in front of the Guest House. This is a C&R area that has a healthy population of wild and holdover trout that were stocked as fingerlings. This stretch has a great mix of slow pools, deep riffles, and pocket water. Unless the water is blown out, I would expect to see midges and olives. This is decent sized water so bring a good streamer rod as well.

There are a lot of B&B's in town and there are also hotels in State College and Altoona both of which are within a half hour. If anyone wants more info on lodging, fishing, or other non-fishing attractions for the wife just let me know. Anyone who plans to attend please let me know so I can get an idea of how much food to get. Email me with any questions.

Hope to see a bunch of you there.

Mike McFarland

Post 12 Feb 2008, 14:24 • #2 
Master Guide
Mike:
... I've fished in front of the house many times ... Very nice! ... I never realized it was a guest home ... See you in March ...

Friends:
... I also want to add that within moments of Mike's gathering are more places to fish than you can possibly get to in one day ... AND if the weather is cold and grey, and you absolutely must fish, one can always drive up to Spring Creek (approx. 20 min. to State College, PA) and midge fish for trout because nothing short of a nuclear holocaust will stop those fish from feeding ... I fished the Benner Springs area in 19 F degree weather last year in March and had a blast! ... It's strange how you don't feel the cold when you're concentrating on a riser and hook up ...
... soo many trout, so little time ...
Bob

Post 13 Feb 2008, 03:11 • #3 
Guide
I'll be there for sure - a bit of a hike from Albany, but sounds like a great weekend- I'll bring along a bunch of bamboo and glass for folks to try, as well of course the custom McFarland 8'3" 5 wt. We've had snow and ice for the last 12 hours or so, and it's looking like the Spruce Creek weekend may be the first chance to wet a line this year.
Regards, Steve

Post 13 Feb 2008, 14:17 • #4 
Master Guide
... SAltsh:. ..I'll be driving down from Syracuse ... it takes me approx 5 hours to get there ... if ya see a bright red VW Beetle off the side of the road, either pick me up or call a tow truck:\. ..
Bob

Post 13 Feb 2008, 14:45 • #5 
Guide
Bob-
For sure. You'll probably need help transporting your rods - I'll try not to tap all those tubes sticking out the windows when I pull up to help. :D
-Steve

Post 13 Feb 2008, 15:43 • #6 
Guide
I'll see if I can make it up there on my way back up to mansfield from spring break. If I do make it, it will most likely be on Sunday.

Peter

Post 23 Feb 2008, 16:00 • #7 
Master Guide
Mike- love to be there, but alas, no can do. Hope you all have a great time. I'm thinking if it ever starts to warm up here with all the snow we've gotten over the past winter, I'll be fishing the runnoff until September.
Catch a few for me.

Alan

Post 28 Feb 2008, 01:50 • #8 
Master Guide
... I'm brining my W&Mc Sweetheart which I just bought from Duff ... gonna put a One-Pfoot "pimped" Pflueger 1494 on it and we'll give it a test drive ... be praying for nice warm weather ...
Bob

Post 28 Feb 2008, 01:59 • #9 
Guide
Bob-
I'm thinking about bringing a whole bunch of rods with me for us to play with, especially since I'm beginning to go nuts not having fished for months - this weather's getting to me. Current travel list: glass- 7' 3 wt. Steffen, 7' 4 wt. Lami, 7.5' 4 wt. Scott, 8'3" McFarland 5 wt., and Diamondglass 8.5' 4 wt. I'll also bring some boo- 7' 3 wt. Leonard taper, 7' 4 wt. Maurer, 7.5' 4 wt. Payne taper, 7.5' 4/5 wt. Maurer taper, 7'9" HB 5 wt. Dunsmuir/Raines, 7'9" Lancaster parabolic 14, Thramer 8' 5 wt., and maybe an old Orvis 8' 6 wt. Looking forward to meeting you, and others. It'll be a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to casting others' glass rods. -Steve

Post 28 Feb 2008, 07:13 • #10 
Sport
This event sounds great ~~ any chance of having one in Cali?

Everyone ~~ enjoy the weekend.

Post 28 Feb 2008, 13:57 • #11 
Inactive
I am guessing it would be a little warmer there.

Steve,
Cant wait to try out some of those bamboo rods. Just don't forget the bourbon when you are loading all of those rods.

Post 28 Feb 2008, 16:24 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Mike,
Did you say beer? I'll contact Jeff B. and hopefully we'll see you there.
Barry

Post 29 Feb 2008, 02:57 • #13 
Guide
Mike-
Just picked up the bottle of Buffalo Trace yesterday. Really looking forward to the weekend. -Steve

Post 29 Feb 2008, 04:58 • #14 
Master Guide
I'm going to try to make it up from Gettysburg, if I can get out of another committment. Thanks for planning this.

Post 04 Mar 2008, 01:35 • #15 
Master Guide
Hey Scud:
... did you say you may be going too? ... I hope to meet you there ... looks like we'll get some faces behind the names ... Hey Bulldog, Cameron, Tom, Marshall, Boo, etc., etc.. you'all going? ...
Bob

Post 04 Mar 2008, 01:42 • #16 
Administrator
bob4st ... I WISH! I just got back from a ski trip in Colorad ... and in two weeks we'll be in Michigan for a week seeing family there. I am hoping to get up there on an upcoming McFarland Rod Gathering.

Post 11 Mar 2008, 16:37 • #17 
Inactive
Just wanted to let everyone know that the gathering will still take place as scheduled. We got a lot of rain and snow last week, but most of the snow is gone and the river is on its way down. The upper end actually would be fishable right now and it doesn't look like we should get any major rain this week. They are calling for "sprinkles" or "showers" Friday and Saturday depending on which forecast you look at. Temps should be in the low to mid 40's. It certainly will not be prime conditions, but we should get some fishing in. Then again, with all of the alcohol people are bringing, who knows.Image If anyone needs directions just send me an email and I will forward a map. It is pretty easy to find once you are in the town of Spruce Creek.

Post 11 Mar 2008, 23:31 • #18 
Mike
Count me in for (3) People on Sunday. We are really looking forward to the gathering.
Thanks
The Wayfinder

Post 14 Mar 2008, 03:22 • #19 
Inactive
Sounds great Wayfinder. I am looking forward to it. The water has come up lightly after yesterday's 60 degree temps that dumped the last of the snow into the river. It is on its way back down though. Should be about perfect for buggers and streamers. I am leaving this afternoon to go get the food and everything set up. I am really looking forward to it. If anyone gets lost just stop in either the Spruce Creek Post Office, Spruce Creek Outfitters, or the Spruce Creek Tavern (this would be my recommendationImage) and ask where River's Edge Guest House is.

Post 15 Mar 2008, 14:29 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
On the spur of the moment my wife and I drove up to Mike's gathering on the Little Juniata. What a great time! The weather was better than expected - just slightly overcast and in the mid 50's. Mike had many of his wonderful rods for us to cast as well as treating us to a great lunch. The beer wasn't too bad either. I must say that I was floored by Mike's sublime 8' 5 weight Dry Fly. Bob beat me to the one Mike had there to sell - it had the spalted birch reel seat which is probably the most beautiful reel seat I have ever seen. I made a feeble attempt to take a few photos:Image
From left to right: Our SAltsh, JASTrout, Mike, and bob4st.

The beautiful Rivers Edge Guest House on the Little Juniata, the site of the gathering

Part of the Saturday gathering

Bob aligns his guides while Mike sets the hook on a nice lawn trout.

After a great lunch, Bob examines the internal sleeve of Duff's SF SCOTT F70.

Post 16 Mar 2008, 01:03 • #21 
Glass Fanatic

Duff, Thanks for posting the photos of the Mike's gathering. My McFarland should be here real soon. The family went to Monterey for the Maple Sugar Festival and had a great time. Sounds like you'll be wanting a new rod, eh?

Post 16 Mar 2008, 02:59 • #22 
Administrator
Duff ... yes ... thanks for giving us a glimpse into the Spruce Creek Gathering. It is always nice to put a face(s) to our members.

Post 16 Mar 2008, 16:50 • #23 
Master Guide
... Nice pics Duff! ... Thanks! ... After a 5+ hour drive home from the gathering, I will be brief because I need to get some sleep ... The company was great, the food was incredible, the facility was fabulous, the environment was terrific, and Mike's rods were fantastic ... I didn't do much fishing because I was having far too much fun talking with Mike and guests, casting various rods, and eating ... Ok, it's past my bedtime, good night ...
Bob

Post 16 Mar 2008, 19:21 • #24 
Inactive
We had a great time this weekend in Spruce Creek. Here are some pics from Day one.

From the left; Mike McFarland, SAltsh, JASTrout, and Duff

We had plenty of rods on hand. I would guess at least 30 rods in modern and vintage glass as well as bamboo.

SAltsh lays out some line.

Bob4st tries out the McFarland 10 Year Anniversary Rod

We even managed to get some women to show up. I think I got a better rate than Gov. Spitzer did. Just kidding. That is my wife Amanda on the left and her sister Pam on the right. They were a great help and cooked us up some pretty good grub including a shrimp boil, delmonico steaks, chili, corn bread, chocolate chip cookies, homemade blueberry and apple pies, and cinnamin bread to name just a little. Yes this was an "eating trip" not a "fishing trip".

There was a lot of McFarland glass on hand to cast.

The bugs were there, but unfortunately the water a touch too high for good dry fly fishing.

I MIGHT have had a little too much scotch Friday night.

There is more than one way to sell rods. Some times it takes a little help. This is my favorite pic of the weekend. Bob4st seems to be having fun. Hey, you have to have a plan B when the water is high.

Seriously, we had a great weekend. Lots of good food, good rods, and great people. We didn't catch a lot of fish due to the high water, but I would say some good friendships were made this weekend and that is even better. I will try to set up another event later this summer when the water is better with the hopes of meeting more glass nuts from the forum.

Post 16 Mar 2008, 23:40 • #25 
Administrator
Mike ... your Spitzer comment and then the photos of you and bob4st looking a little "wrecked" on scotch made me laugh out loud this morning while drinking my coffee. The "Gathering" looked like a really great time and I am glad that a few people took cameras along ... so that we could along enjoy a look into your good times.

By the way ... the photo of the mayfly and stone fly on the Spruce Creek is really cool.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Mar 2008, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply