It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 04:09

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Nov 2007, 04:58 • #26 
Guide
Bob - you mentioned Pine Creek (one of many) joining Penns - do believe that is Elk Creek, which is a springer that tempers the water near Jonas' shop. Pine Creek, another springer, does join Elk a bit up the road to Milheim.

Jonas helped out the Clark's cane group that came to the area in Sept and we all had a fine time. Jonas has an exceptionally fine selection of fine tackle (reels too).

tl
les

Post 24 Nov 2007, 03:46 • #27 
Master Guide
Hi Guys,
Do you think it's a bit premature to begin taking a "poll" regarding the Northeast Clave location? So far we've mentioned locations from Maine to Pennsylvania. I think the poll would have to be structured in such a way that 2nd and 3rd choices would also be credited. (don't want to "split the vote") EX: I may choose Maine but would also go to Cape Cod. In other words, we need to know ALL the locations you'd like to go to AND would be willing to attend the clave at any one of your choices. Each choice would be counted and totaled.
What do you think?
Lou

Post 24 Nov 2007, 07:38 • #28 
Administrator
Lou,

I just activated the polls feature on this forum. You can have up to five choices, but voters can only pick one.

Tom

Post 24 Nov 2007, 07:55 • #29 
Master Guide
Plan "B":
How about if we first choose the possible locations. Then, once we've posted all the choices, we can email our preferences to a moderator (sorry) to tabulate the results. Again, choose as many locations as you like where you are willing to attend.
Lou

Post 27 Nov 2007, 03:01 • #30 
Master Guide
Hello Les:
... Yes, Jonas mentioned you folks were headed there ... wish I could have met up with yas ... it's such a great area! ... I can't stop myself from returning over and over ...
Bob

Post 27 Nov 2007, 17:53 • #31 
Master Guide
I'd be cool with anywhere in New England. MA, CT, NH, VT, or ME. It would be awesome to fish PA but that's a 9+ hour drive for me. The Cape in June would be great especially if camping would be possible. The Farmington would be another possibility. Of course Maine would be nice too.:D

Post 28 Nov 2007, 02:25 • #32 
Master Guide
,,,Yeah, I hear ya on those long drives ... it takes me approx 5 hours to reach central PA from my home in Syracuse, NY area ... but it's definitely worth it! ... If ya can't get wife/friend/dog/cat to ride along for the company, I suggest lots of coffee and a book CD ... recently listened to "On the Road" by JK ...
Bob

Post 28 Nov 2007, 02:57 • #33 
Master Guide
Ha! I hadn't figured you for a Kerouac fan Bob! Reading Hunter S. Thompson, Kerouac, Ginsberg and Bukowski ruined me a long time ago.:hat

Post 28 Nov 2007, 02:58 • #34 
Master Guide
As much as I'd like to fish PA, the ride from Boston area would be about 8 hours. My first choice would be Cape Cod. End of May or beginning of June would be "before season rates". Anyone in the area knowledgeable and WILLING to help coordinate a gathering that would afford us camping, trout, bass and stripers?
Lou

Post 28 Nov 2007, 16:28 • #35 
Master Guide
... yeah gypsy ... I dig all those crazy cats!

... I hadn't read it since junior college days ... it gave me road fever then that remains with me to this day ... I love to watch the land move past me:D. ..
Bob

Post 29 Dec 2007, 12:49 • #36 
Hi; I have fished spruce creek, & there is a neat place you can fish, that is what I call semi private & its full of good fish, I fish as a guest at the coalrain club ,if you know where it is? but the other place is just as good. Let me know if you would like to know that secret semi private stretch. Fred

Post 29 Dec 2007, 13:37 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
With so many places in the NE, it will be hard to have one where it is convenient for all of us. i'm pretty much booked solid for anything that isn't a few hours from home. Mini claves would be fun. Maybe a few scattered around and we can pick and choose. those of us in Maine could get together somewhere and those from away that could make, great. Same for other areas. This would probably be the only way for me in the next year or so. It's a terrible thing to be so damned busy you can't get all the time needed for fishing.
Na Zdravi
RFMcD

Post 01 Jan 2008, 06:53 • #38 
Master Guide
... hello Catskill ... yes, I'm always interested in new places to fish ... as long as it's not one of those "breed and feed" waters where the "Pellet fly" is the prevailing hatch ...

... a few of us are planning to head down to the State College area mid-late Feb for some midge fishing (weather permitting) ... as we approach Feb I'll let you and any others know ... maybe we can assemble a "Micro-Clave" for a weekend ...

... yeah, I know Feb fishing sounds crazy, but if you lived up here in the great white north, by Feb we really do go crazy unless we get out to bend a rod during the winter! ... April is too far away ...
Bob

Post 02 Jan 2008, 09:43 • #39 
Sport
Quote:
As much as I'd like to fish PA, the ride from Boston area would be about 8 hours. My first choice would be Cape Cod. End of May or beginning of June would be "before season rates".

We fish the outter Cape every year, camping in Brewster at Nickerson State Park and tring to take advantage of being there around the time of the June new moon (6-3-08)
Be aware that Nickerson is closed until June 13 '08 for water main replacement
Of course Nickerson isn't the only place to camp, but (in my opinion) it's the best

Also public beaches start enforcing parking regulations on the third Saturday of the month (6-21)
Something to consider if you move around as much as we do

Post 28 Jan 2008, 18:35 • #40 
Sport
I'd love to go to a clave pretty much anywhere in New England, but as a student, it'd be nice to have the option to camp. If the place is semi near by I wouldn't mind paying to stay somewhere, but if its far away it'd be nice to camp, so we're not paying a lot of gas money AND lodging, just one or the other. But that said, that B&B in PA is sounding better and better, and I try never to pass up oppurtunities to be laughed at by trout.

In the end I'll probably be open to anything, just happy to see new water and meet new folks. And of course, whats close for one of us will always be far for another.

-RC

Post 01 Feb 2008, 02:44 • #41 
Master Guide
... lots of places to camp in NY Catskills and central PA ...
Bob

Post 11 Feb 2008, 13:01 • #42 
Sport
Why don't those of us from the mid-atlantic states go to central PA, and those of us from New England go to main for connecticut or cape cod or wherever and then we'll exchange pictures of the fish we catch. If you're looking for me, I'll be at my hole on the Little J trying for my lunker. She's a beaut, but I can't bring her up.

Post 12 Feb 2008, 03:13 • #43 
Master Guide
Seems as though the "geography" isn't working here.
How about planning two claves ... one for fresh water, the other for salt water? The stripers get into the New England area on or about May 15th. Any suggestions for a coastal location?
Lou

Post 12 Feb 2008, 14:09 • #44 
Master Guide
Hey rckrego:. .. that hole wouldn't be the deep one downstream of the Barre Bridge would it? ... I've been working on those big boys for a couple + of years ... watched a young kid bring one up with a Rapala ... it was a beautiful 20 - 1/4" long and lean river Brown ... very nice! ... I like the Lil-J ... and have a strong preference for the narrow, brushy Spruce ... hope to get down there soon ...
Bob

Post 16 Feb 2008, 03:52 • #45 
Master Guide
... a NE Clave is now in the works for Central PA ... I'm putting it together for mid-April ... thus far it's considered a "mini"-clave comprised of me, myself and I ... I will be greeting myself when I arrive, sharing some BBQ and beer at dinner, discussing the finer points of glass rods, fishing locations, etc. with myself while me works the grill ... After some hardy meals. we'll likely walk to Penns Creek or car pool to the Spring, Spruce, Lil-J, etc ... :lol
Bob

HA, I crack me up!:rollin

Post 17 Feb 2008, 19:00 • #46 
Administrator
Yeah know Bob ... that really is one of the best ways to start a Clave. You give the particulars ... and if anyone wants to come along ... they already know what to expect.

I've done a few trips like that with friends that didn't want to make decisions. I have a rule that they can't complain if they didn't help plan the trip.

You won't be on this Clave by yourself I would not suspect.

Post 19 Feb 2008, 17:13 • #47 
Master Guide
... Thanks Cameron ... I prefer a relaxed process to gathering friends for a fishing trip ... and if folks can't make one occasion, there is always another ... the streams are not going anywhere ...

... the greatest fun I have is watching others have a good time ... last summer I got a big kick out of introducing J. Downes to 8X tippet, size 30 & 32 dries, and some seriously arrogant trout on Big Fishing Creek ... after he caught a few "the only way" (or so I arrogantly thought), I lost a bet that he couldn't hook one with a monster size 14 Klinckhammer ... we laughed like hell ... that cost me ... but great fun! ...
Bob

Post 22 Feb 2008, 03:14 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Considering the first Annual North East Glass Clave was such a great success last year.
I am interested in joining in again this year.
When this clave has been organized I will be more than happy to donate another rod for the second Annual Clave.
So the first thing I would like to know is who is the lead dog this year?
Last year Lou did a great job of organizing the event is Lou organizing the event again?
If not whom will be putting this together?
Have we made a list of places to hold the event and taken a vote as to the events location?
I would like to make some recommendations for the site location to be added to the list for consideration..
The Beaverkill River NY.
The Farmington River CT.
Pennsylvania's and or New York's Upper Delaware River.
The Deerfield River again only at a more opportune time.
The Battenkill River New York and or Vermont.
I have been reading and watching this for months I see we have been struggling getting it together.
I need to know the plan within the next 30 days so my Wife and I can make our summer fishing outing plans in advance.
Surely many of the people that will be interested in attending are in the same situation.

Tight Plans and Gathered Loops
Andy M

Post 22 Feb 2008, 11:33 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Andy
Great suggestions. The Beaverkill is on my short list. The Upper Delaware in NY was the only time I've had trout take me deep into my backing. Two trout in a row in fact. Lost them both. Fishing access on those streams can be problematic. The Battenkill in VT breaks my heart every year. The canoe hatch really puts the fish down. Battenkill browns are hard enough without the @#$% canoes. There is a campground north of Manchester. Never fished the NY end of it. The Otter Creek in VT is another good stream in the same area. The Otter and the Battenkill both have the same headwater. One flows south to the Hudson and the other north to Lake Champlain and on to the St Lawrence. Neat fact. For the most part trout fishing in VT is not all that good. There are places but I'd get castrated if I said where. I really enjoyed the Deerfield last year and thought that the fishing was grand, what's a more opportune time? The Farmington sounds great. Know anyone who knows the River?
I will try to make it if it works out to northern New England and I'm not too sure I'll have time to make it anyway. Busier than Hell and have to take advantage of it while it lasts. Who knows how it will work out though.
Come on up to Maine and we can fish the Landlocks on the stream whose name must never be mentioned.
39 days till trout season here for those who are counting.
RFMcD

Post 24 Feb 2008, 01:22 • #50 
Master Guide
I thought the Deerfield was a pretty good place too. (except for lack of cell phone service - but we seemed to manage to communicate ok).
Andy, you know the river very well ... what would be a better date? This year, I plan to do a salt water clave, a bass pond gathering and a trout stream clave. Sooooo ... I will vote for the Deerfield for the Fiberglass (Trout) Clave. Andy, wanna take charge this year? I'll be your "second in command" if you like.
Lou

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply