It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:28

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Sep 2007, 10:09 • #1 
Master Guide
Hey Guys,
Didn't want to "hijack" Jukka's thread. But, maybe we should use his gathering as sorta "food for thought" for another clave this next Spring. Anyone know of any fishing lodges that might fit the bill for our next clave? Even at a larger lake area might work. What do you think?
Lou

Post 01 Oct 2007, 09:32 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I would love to be able to say my neck of the woods, but, we are over run in the spring and again in the fall. I fish the "Stream Whose Name Must Never Be Mentioned". Lots of lodges and way too many fishermen with no streamside ettiquet. Great fishing in spite of the A-holes. We'd have to book at least a year in advance. We book for the next year when we check in.
I really enjoyed the Deerfield Clave at last years venue. I was impressed with the quality of the fishing. I was never crowded and caught a few good sized trouts. I wouldn't mind a repeat there.
How about in Andy's neighborhood? I've heard alot about the Farmington.
I'm not opposed to warm water fishing. So I would consider any option thrown out there. Only not on my Wife's birthday again. I'll never redeem myself from that error im my judgement. You'd have thought I shot the cat or something.
I'm starting to think that the only place I'll get to cast one of those lovely Phillipson's will be at a Clave. Not counting my #9 Golden Eagle. $ always $.
Let's toss this around and see what we can come up with.
RFMcD

Post 02 Oct 2007, 01:16 • #3 
Master Guide
I'd do the Deerfield again, but maybe there's a more central location for the Northeast guys. Farmington River sounds good. Any other "secret" streams out there?
Lou

Post 05 Oct 2007, 16:00 • #4 
Master Guide
There's some talk of joining up with "the Bass Pond" guys at their Samuel Tisdale outing next June at Cape Cod in the Brewster area. We could do bass, trout and stripers.
Any interest?
Lou

Post 11 Oct 2007, 11:49 • #5 
Master Guide
I'd be cool with the Farmington or any other good river in the New England area. Maine rivers really come to life in June but we are a little far for a lot of people.

Post 12 Oct 2007, 08:52 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I know that Maine is a hike for most of you. But I've been thinking about the old Pray's campground at The Big Eddy on the West Branch of the Penobscot. World class LL Salmon and room for quite a few rods. June is a great month to be there. Unfortunately everyone knows it, so it could be crowded and booked.
There are very few places that offer places to stay for any great number that has good fishing close by. That won't break the budget.
I'm also afraid that I'm going to have to pass on any Clave next year. Unless it close to home. We've already planned about all we can afford for next year. Same old story. Time and money.
As always though. Anyone interested in coming up and doing some LL fishing. Let me know and we should be able to hook up. Or I can steer you to some prime spots and if i'm feeling generous, what fly you'll need.
RFMcD

Post 13 Oct 2007, 23:48 • #7 
Master Guide
Southern Maine wouldn't be so bad - a little over an hour from Boston.
Got any good locations where we could fish for trout and not be too far from striper flats?
Lou

Post 14 Oct 2007, 02:40 • #8 
Master Guide
The Mousam river in Kennebunk has stripers, Brown trout and sea run browns. Only 90 miles from Boston.

Post 14 Oct 2007, 02:43 • #9 
Inactive
How about Central PA?
Spruce Creek, Little Juniata, Spring Creek, Penns Creek ...
I think there is a glass rod maker in the area also.:lol

Would be a little closer to you guys in the South East and Mid West.

Post 14 Oct 2007, 03:08 • #10 
Administrator
I am keeping my eyes on this thread ... ME ... CT ... PA ... all sound great to me. PA is a lot closer for this SC angler. I wonder if the wife would let me out of the house for a LONG weekend up to this Clave? I'll start working on her this weekend.

Post 14 Oct 2007, 12:30 • #11 
Master Guide
I've fished the Mousam at Parson's Beach for stripers only ... didn't realize there were sea run browns. Would like to give that a try.
Always wanted to go to Spruce Creek too. Never been fishing in PA.
And Cape Cod sounds really good too.
Do you think it's too early to take a "poll"? How can we determine where everyone is geographically? More importantly, how do we determine who's willing to travel and how far? Got any ideas?
Lou

Post 14 Oct 2007, 14:50 • #12 
Inactive
Just thought I might add that 95% of Spruce Creek is private. The only open water on it is a short section, 3/8 of a mile or so, that is owned by Penn State. It is very nice water though. I just don't want people to be misled into thinking that there would be lots of open water on Spruce. You can get on the private water areas, but you are looking at a min of $125 per person without a guide. I have enough "connections" that I could set that up for anyone interested.

There is a LOT of public water here though ranging from small brook trout streams to what I would call bigger trout water. We also have the Juniata river that fishes very well for smallies. The Little Juniata has 14 miles of catch and release water. Spring Creek is also all C&R and 90% of it is open to the public. I can do a post with descriptions of all the local streams as well as other info on lodging and area attractions if anyone would like to see it.

Post 15 Oct 2007, 09:50 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I could probably swing the Mousam. Family in Hampton Beach to leave the Bride with. Sea run Browns in Hampton also and stripers aplenty. The cape would be hard for me. I lived on Nantucket for quite a few years on and off. If I was that close I'd have to go over.
RFMcD

Post 16 Oct 2007, 00:49 • #14 
Master Guide
As much as I would like to fish PA, I'm leaning towards a coastal clave. It would offer both fresh and salt water fishing for us. Kennebunk, Maine would be a good place to try out Mike's new Spey Rods too..hint. :)
The area also offers miles and miles of beaches and attractions (Lobsters, steamers ... yum!) for the family.
What do you say, guys?
Lou

Post 26 Oct 2007, 00:37 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
I myself am biased to the cape idea since it is the easiest for me to attend. Southern Maine sounds interesting especially if it involves Smallies. My focus in June is usually Stripers and Smallies both of which are good options on the cape in June. But I hear the smallie fishing in Maine can be good so that has my interest.

Post 26 Oct 2007, 01:28 • #16 
Master Guide
The Cape has lobsters, too!:)
I'm located about half way between Southern Maine & Cape Cod ... both have stripers, bass & trout - either one is fine for me.
Lou

Post 27 Oct 2007, 14:21 • #17 
Master Guide
Hey All:
... I'm with mtm805 (Mike), let's do central PA ... fantastic spring creeks all around ... excellent lodging at numerous places ... I suggest The Feathered Hook, Coburn, PA right on Penns Creek and just a hop and skip to many other creeks ... built just for fisherdudes ... and keeps a fine assortment of bamboo on hand too! ... cook right there (breakfast is provided) or head off to restaurants ... No affiliation, I simply go there nearly monthly ...
As for the fishing, I'm confident that between Mike and I we can certainly get everyone onto fish ... plenty of fish! ... all levels of challenge ... from "easy going:D " to "walk away mumbling to yourself:rolleyes " ... overall, absolutely fantastic environments ...
Bob

Post 27 Oct 2007, 18:06 • #18 
Inactive
I second what Bob said, and for you guys into sea food we do have a Red Lobster in Altoona.:lol

Post 28 Oct 2007, 01:08 • #19 
Master Guide
Bob & Mike,
You make it very enticing ...
Living near the coast, I can fish the salt nearly every day (if I had the time). But, an opportunity to fish Central PA with two knowledgeable board members doesn't come along very often.
So far, it seems the choices are Southern Maine, Cape Cod, Central PA, Farmington River ... any more?
Or, we can do what the Bass Pond guys do - choose separate dates and multiple locations.
Lou

Post 28 Oct 2007, 04:21 • #20 
Master Guide
... How about I contact Mr. Jonas Price, owner/operator of The Feathered Hook Inn and get some numbers to think about ... Oh yeah, I almost forgot, he has a fly shop (same name) connected to the B&B through kitchen door ... I always wander in after breakfast barefoot with coffee in hand ...

... Also, there are a couple big screen TVs for those who wanna relax and watch a game or movie, big tying table & area, lots of comfy chairs, fishy books & mags ... big grill on back deck ... guides available ... and my favorite - EXcellent FRee advice on what's hatching, where, when, size, etc ...

..and for those who require the challenge of 8X tipps and size 32 midge fishing to wild trout that will rise to your fly and laugh ... really! ... you can hear em! ... then central PA is the place for you ...

Bob

Post 29 Oct 2007, 00:51 • #21 
Master Guide
Hey All:
... I e-mailed Jonas Price - The Featherd Hook Inn & Fly Shop and received a number - $55 per night -. ..all ya need to do is show up with some gear ... everything else you could possibly need is there ... What do ya'all think? ... Next consideration would be to select some dates ...
... I'm brining some extra cash for one of Mike McFarland's Spring Creek rods ... duh, I can't go fish Spring Creek without a "Spring Creek":D. ..
Bob

Post 29 Oct 2007, 10:42 • #22 
Master Guide
How far away is the nearest airport?
Lou

Post 29 Oct 2007, 15:07 • #23 
Master Guide
... Airport is in State College, PA, approximately 40 minutes easy drive from the B&B ... But only 10 to 15 minutes from Spring Creek ... so fly in early, grab your wheels and gear and head straight to the creek first ...
... Jonas Price is used to late arrivals by fishing addicts such as myself who won't leave the stream until every last bit of light has been squeezed out of the day ...
... Otherwise, head straight to the B&B, throw your stuff in your room and walk straight through the front door over to fish Penns or Pine Creeks (the Pine is a whopping 200 yards further walk to where it joins Penns) ...
... I love it when the Pine and Penns are hatching ... I never have to drive my car to alternative fishing spots until it's time to head home again ... just spend the entire time fishing, eating, sleeping ... Ok, repeat after me: "fish, eat, sleep" ... "fish, eat, sleep" ... nice concept huh?
Bob:D

Post 06 Nov 2007, 16:22 • #24 
Master Guide
Hey All:
... is it too early to talk about a NE clave? ... let me know ... as I am willing to help put one together ... it would be great to put a face behind many of these names ...
Bob

Post 22 Nov 2007, 14:33 • #25 
Master Guide
Hey All! ... Let's get a bunch-o-folks to meet at the Somerset (NJ) Show in January and talk about an '08 NE Clave ... we can meet over some dinner, booze and cigars ... anyone going? ...
Bob

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply