It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:15

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Nov 2007, 07:19 • #1 
Guide
Just gauging interest. A few of us have been discussing setting something up, probably in the Missouri/Arkansas ozarks to hit some smallie streams and trout streams. Probably between the end of March and early May or late September or early October (before and after the aluminum hatch). The first thought on location is the North Fork of the White River. Great trout stream, has naturally reproducing rainbows albeit limited reproduction, but you still catch the fish with parr marks on the sides of them! It can be a technically difficult stream to fish as far as I know, we will have to let Tom or Dan echo me on this. We are leaning towards this river as it is close enough for those of us from KS to come for a day or two, as well as Kentucky, Tennessee, Illinois, Arkansas, etc. I would like to have a dozen people there minimum, but you know how that type of stuff goes. Well, lets get a discussion going on about this, and set something up! Also, decide when would work best, spring or fall.

Post 07 Nov 2007, 16:28 • #2 
Depending on the date I might be able to swing it ... driving from Kentucky.

Post 08 Nov 2007, 07:32 • #3 
Guide
Well, will spring or fall work best for you?

Post 08 Nov 2007, 08:31 • #4 
Administrator
Which season has the best fishing and lowest crowds? All things being equal, I would vote for spring because it would get me out of the house quicker!

Tom

Post 08 Nov 2007, 11:06 • #5 
Guide
Well, Tom, I am going to speak to River of Life Farm in Gainesville, MO about lodging, the conference room, etc. I spoke to their head guide Brian Wise this morning, and he recommended the fall for more consistent fishing, better weather and less chance for the river getting blown out. I will keep everyone posted.

Post 08 Nov 2007, 12:52 • #6 
Administrator
While you're at it, how late will the season go in 2007?

Tom

Post 09 Nov 2007, 04:24 • #7 
Guide
The NFOW is amazing all year, but the fishing is more predictable in the early fall when there are large #s of hoppers, ants, beetles, etc on the water. Also, it appears the River of Life Farm is very religious (not that that bothers me, but I know us all and we would want to imbibe a little while down there), and pretty pricey. Other locations in that area are in the works. Any questions, let me know and I will get the answers, but so far it looks like the fall of '08 in the Gainesville, MO area. Pass the word on to fellow glass rodders to see if they are interested.

Post 10 Nov 2007, 02:06 • #8 
Inactive
i'm in. there are several good smallmouth rivers in southern mo. that i wouldn't mind fishing as well. fall of '08 is a long time to wait for a good get together. don't know how they fish in the spring, but have always wanted to chase smallies with the fly rod and have never had a chance.

Post 10 Nov 2007, 04:22 • #9 
Guide
Well Darin, keep your eyes peeled, I be making a trip down there and we could probably run down there together. I am going down that way in April or so ... I will let you know.

Post 14 Nov 2007, 05:18 • #10 
Master Guide
I'd be interested in the clave as long as I can get away. The NFOW can be good but iffy depending upon the spring weather as the river comes up amazingly fast with rain upstream. Not sure I've fished it earlier than June but have been there in the Fall, its a beautiful river as long as the canoe crowds have lost interest in it. ROLF would be good and there are a couple of other camping type ares like Sunburst Ranch and state campground at Patrick Bridge. Fishing may be better but less "wild" on the Norfork or White river in Arkansas ... have you considered this?

Tim

Post 14 Nov 2007, 08:37 • #11 
Guide
We have considered a lot of places from the Niangua to the White, and NFOW is the preliminary winner. Hope to have something in stone by Jan-Feb and have something worked out for lodging as well by then. But, just keep your eyes on this thread and everything will be laid out for us. Thanks a million for the interest.

Post 15 Nov 2007, 03:01 • #12 
Administrator
I am interested in trying to attend both this clave and the Northeast Clave ... that is time ... and wife (ha) ... permitting.

I am watching both threads with great interest.

Post 15 Nov 2007, 05:45 • #13 
Guide
Wow, it would be great to have you Cameron.

As far as more reasons why the North Fork of the White River in the Gainesville area, there is a trophy "wild" rainbow trout fishery there as well as just up or downstream, great smallmouth bass water. I will post a few links to possible campsites, hotels, etc. Camping would be most economical, but if someone wanted to stay in a hotel, there are numerous close to Gainesville.

www.twinbridgescanoe.com is the one I will be staying at. Low rates, on the water.

Enjoy! We will have more information soon.

Post 20 Nov 2007, 04:52 • #14 
Guide
The weekend we are going to be having the clave is September 13th and 14th. That is a Saturday and Sunday. I hope this is ample notice and all of you can make it. I will get the phone # to the campground at the Hwy 160 bridge, on the water, and it has access to both Bryant Creek (warmwater) and the NFOW (trout). I will keep everyone updated.

Post 20 Nov 2007, 05:11 • #15 
Administrator
Hey ... that is my birthday weekend. I wonder if that will sell the wife that I need to take this road trip?

Anyone in the SC/NC area want to travel together to save on costs? And I would not be against leaving on Wednesday afternoon or early Thursday to give us Friday through Sunday to fish. Actually Sunday might be a travel back day for me. I think I am about 12 hours from the White River area.

Anyone bring drift boats? This is floatable water ... right?

Post 20 Nov 2007, 17:57 • #16 
Guide
This is floatable water, and it is my birthday(13th) as well as Tom at Buzzard Bluff (13th) so that is why I am excited to get out that weekend. I will probably be down there Friday midday to fish on Bryant Creek for bass (just upstream from the campsites). I look forward to it, let's get a few more people to go.

Post 20 Nov 2007, 18:06 • #17 
Administrator
Really? My birthday is the 13th also! I guess I have no choice but to attend!

What is the best way to float the water?

Tom

Post 20 Nov 2007, 18:15 • #18 
Administrator
Well ... it will be a Birthday / Glass Clave!

Is everyone planning on camping? I'm certainly not against it.

Anyone up for getting there on Wednesday night late ... since then it would allow us to fish Thursday through Sunday? I'll have to check out on Sunday and head back anyways ... but it would give me three full days of fishing.

Look at me ... already talking like I am "approved" to attend. Ha ...

Post 21 Nov 2007, 06:14 • #19 
Guide
I will be camping! You are approved, and I might be able to get out there early by a day or two ... if the missus agrees ...

Post 11 Dec 2007, 10:01 • #20 
Administrator
What is the status of this Clave? I need to know whether I should go into "neogotiations" with the wife yet. (We like to plan ahead)

AND ... anyone interested in car pooling? I can hold at least two more in the Element.

Post 12 Dec 2007, 05:27 • #21 
Guide
It will be a go for that weekend. Start negotiations. I am going to contact the campgrounds after the holidays and see what they will do for us.

Post 12 Dec 2007, 17:54 • #22 
Administrator
Andy ... thanks for checking on the camping situation. I'll bring it up to the wife soon! That will be my birthday weekend ... how can she say "NO"?

Post 13 Dec 2007, 15:25 • #23 
Guide
That's my birthday too, (13th) and I have been given the aok!

Post 13 Dec 2007, 15:29 • #24 
Guide
wow ... there is entirely too much that could go wrong between then and now to start planning, even though with Cameron needing a road trip buddy ...

Post 14 Dec 2007, 18:38 • #25 
Master Guide
Folks,
If y'all will have a poor Texas boy, I might try to make it ...

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply