It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:51

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Feb 2008, 13:08 • #76 
Master Guide
armyflyfisher wrote:
Sooo ... are we gonna need a boat?

David

David
I agree with Bud on the boat issue. If you have one, it's probably a good idea to bring it.

Post 27 Feb 2008, 15:55 • #77 
Glass Fanatic
I've dithered back and forth about whether to bring my canoe or not. I'm glad somebody finally brought up this subject. I had finally decided not to bring it, but have just changed my mind. I would hate to be dependent on Tim's generosity of offering a boat ride, especially since we will be staying elsewhere. I just hope it's not too long a paddle, as I'm beginning to feel more old and feeble by the day. Looking forward to this trip. Will be coming down on the 13th, probably staying at Meridian State Park, but haven't made reservations yet.

Larry

Post 27 Feb 2008, 18:51 • #78 
Master Guide
I too will get there a little early, and stay late if the fish are biting. I asked Tim about a boat, and he said that we would be wading. I will have the truck and if driving is needed, that will not be a problem. Is a canoe OK for this area? I have a 16' Old Town but don't know anything about the river or where we will be fishing. On my recent trip to Florida I went into the store to get a pint to have a little something with me, and for a few dollars more wound up with a half gallon of 7 which was on sale. What's left and another should be enough for 3-4 days. Image Glenn

Post 02 Mar 2008, 11:45 • #79 
Glass Fanatic
Glenn,
It would be a good idea to bring the following one or all three: a conoe,a kick boat, or Kayak. These are perfect that deeper water. Up further the Nolan is wadable, but it's always better to have options.
Les

Post 02 Mar 2008, 13:25 • #80 
Glass Fanatic
The Lodge is on the brazos River, right? Well, whites gotta come up the brazos to get to the Nolan, right? This deal is happening on the feeder streams to the lake, therefore the whites will be either in the Nolan, in the brazos, or staging at the north end of the lake; so, if water temps are not affected by another Blue Norther the fish will be there; and if not we can sit around and listen to the good folks lie about the good ole days and how we killed them in 72, or something like that. Now, I dont do those things but i heard barry doesImage

Image-p-

Post 02 Mar 2008, 13:30 • #81 
Master Guide
Pearow,
Henry won't be there so you and I might have more time to sit around and "listen" to Barry ... Image

Post 04 Mar 2008, 17:03 • #82 
Master Guide
I will try and figure out how to get the canoe on top of the pickup. I am looking forward to putting some faces on some of these names. Glenn
Someone could have pointed that the trick is not to get the canoe on the pickup, rather to keep it there while driving 600+ miles at 70mph and I wouldn't have been offended in the slightest-honest G

Last edited by flyboy912 on 05 Mar 2008, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post 04 Mar 2008, 17:35 • #83 
Glass Fanatic
You're right Glenn, I am looking forward to meeting everyone who I don't already know.
Les

Post 07 Mar 2008, 12:13 • #84 
Master Guide
Les,

Can you give me driving direction coming from the South on IH-35?

Thanks ... I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

David

Post 07 Mar 2008, 17:16 • #85 
Glass Fanatic
David,
Here's the directions courtesy of mapquest from Killeen to Kopperl TX:
[url=http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Killeen+TX/127+Private+Road+1200+Kopperl+TX+764-

Last edited by keebranch on 07 Mar 2008, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post 09 Mar 2008, 12:29 • #86 
Glass Fanatic
Did the heavy snowfall in north Texas have any effect on the water levels in the area of the Texas Glassic? I live in southeastern Oklahoma and we were expecting heavy snow, but most of it stayed south of where I live, hitting north Texas. At first I felt like I had dodged the bullet, but then I realized most of the snow fell where I plan to be this coming week.

Larry

Post 09 Mar 2008, 13:36 • #87 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Larry,
No real effect, it kept the sandies out of the creeks most of the week. But with the warm weather coming, I'm optimistic of good fishing.

Post 10 Mar 2008, 03:56 • #88 
Glass Fanatic
What sort of depth and current will we be fishing? Someone suggested that floating lines would work. Would a 3-4 ips sinking line or sink tip be a better choice?

Post 10 Mar 2008, 05:11 • #89 
Master Guide
Bassackwards,
I've never fished the Nolan but I doubt that a sink tip would be any better and probably won't have any bearing on whether or not you catch fish. When sandies are on, they'll bite a shoelace. Image

Post 10 Mar 2008, 07:40 • #90 
Glass Fanatic
That's interesting. I usually fish the San Gabriel at Tejas and Circleville. The people who try to fish with floating lines there don't catch much. I guess I'll bring a few different lines just in case.

Post 10 Mar 2008, 09:23 • #91 
Master Guide
I normally fish it with an intermediate line up stream from the gravel bars at the mouth. In the upper section a floater works fine. Downstream from the Gravel bars one of the Teeny type long sink tips works well.

The weather has turned warmer ... s'posed to be warm all week ... should trigger an upstream run ... Expect the river to be crowded. Spring Break will be in full swing, and a lot of local families and kids will be hitting the river. Also bring some lightweight raingear ... may be some scattered thunderstorms. Also bring a sense of humor ...

See y'all Friday

Bud

Post 10 Mar 2008, 10:29 • #92 
Glass Fanatic
I agree: deeper water sinking or sink tip. On the upper reaches or shallows, floating workd well.
Les

Post 10 Mar 2008, 13:43 • #93 
Glass Fanatic
How many people are coming in early? I plan to come down on Thursday and set up camp at Cedron Creek Park on Lake Whitney. All of the state parks in the general area were already booked for the weekend. I think my neighbor will be coming with me, but he is not absolutely certain, due to health reasons. If he comes, we will be camping in his pop up camper. If he doesn't, I will be living out of a tent as usual. I had thought about hitting the Paluxy River on Friday, but if there are going to be some of the group meeting at the lodge earlier on Friday, I would be happy to fish the Nolan.

Larry

Post 10 Mar 2008, 14:00 • #94 
Glass Fanatic
Larry,
Most of us are coming Friday, but you're welcome to contact Bud he lives down there, but he may not be fishing. As for Barry, he lives in Granbury and may pop down early Friday. The central meeting spot will be Indian Lodge in Kopperl. If you're interested in more deails PM me for my cell.
Les

Post 10 Mar 2008, 15:37 • #95 
Master Guide
I'll be driving up Saturday morning with my kayak ... 7am? ... 8am?

See you guys soon ...

David

Post 10 Mar 2008, 16:15 • #96 
Glass Fanatic
I look forward to finally meeting you David!

Post 11 Mar 2008, 05:47 • #97 
Master Guide
I gave the owner of the Burger Shack ... a local eatery ... a quick basic casting lesson the other day. Also gave him one of cat's whisker flies i have been using. I stopped by to see him this morning. He went down to the Whitney Dam and knocked them dead! His wife said he was so excited he nearly wet himself. He finally lost the fly trying to land a big Black Drum. He tried a bunch of flies he bought at Wal-mart and didn't catch another fish ... He is in the process of ordering a fly-tying kit right now ... LMAO. It is a disease ... spread the virus!

Post 11 Mar 2008, 06:34 • #98 
Master Guide
Bud,
What colors are working now?

Post 11 Mar 2008, 07:11 • #99 
Master Guide
In the Brazos below Whitney, Olive, Olive, and Olive.coming in Distant 2nd White. But historically, White and Chartreuse, White and Orange/ and White and Olive have been good in the Nolan. The guy i talked with in Athens has been fishing from his boat at the River Mouths and really pounding them has been using nothing but White and Chartreuse Cypert Scissortail Minnows, so go figure.

Post 11 Mar 2008, 11:00 • #100 
Master Guide
Canoeman
I'm planning on being at the Indian Lodge around noon on Friday. I believe that Gene (pearow), Cody and John Boy will also be getting to the Lodge around that time.
Just a heads-up about the Paluxy. It hasn't been fishing very well lately. Hopefully it'll come back when the water warms up some.
Dane
I can't say what color the Sandies will prefer this year on the Nolan, but in the past the colors of choice have been Chart/Wht, Olive/Wht, Pink/Wht., Red/Wht. However, if they are on the move and feeding, they'll hit a VW Buss if it's put in front of them. (LMAO)

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply