It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:11

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Mar 2008, 17:04 • #126 
Glass Fanatic
Friday through Sunday were the best three days I have experienced in a long time. I have been to two FAOL Fish-Ins, and those experiences paled next to the Texas Glassic. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and putting faces to names. The swapping and buying weren't too bad either. Bud, if I ever find out where you live, you may experience a burglary. Barry, you are an experience in yourself, and thanks for the kind invitation to Kurt and me. Gene, I can't wait to try out that rod on some willing or unwilling bass. I only got to go fishing on Saturday, having left my fishing license in another shirt on Friday, but that carp on Saturday afternoon more than made up for it. I've been trying to catch one of those for the last two years. I think it was Les (keebranch) that mentioned to Kurt and me about trying to set up a conclave on the Mountain Fork here in Oklahoma. We'll certainly look into it.

LarryImage

Post 17 Mar 2008, 22:43 • #127 
Administrator
This thread keeps getting better and better! And we even got a new member in the mix ...

Welcome to Fiberglass Flyrodders, russell husted! It sounds like they "snared" you in with your first glass purchase ... and now look where you've ended up ... HERE!

Post 18 Mar 2008, 01:04 • #128 
Master Guide

Cameron
Russell wasn't the only one that stopped by and ended up purchasing a Glass rod and becoming addicted. There were a couple of other people that stopped by on Saturday during the "Swap Meet" and became "hooked". These Vintage rods and reels ought to come with a warning label, letting people know just how additive they really are. (LOL)

Larry
I'm thinking that if you and Kurt set up an outing/conclave up in OK, it'll fill up quick.
I for one can't wait for the next get together.

Post 18 Mar 2008, 01:05 • #129 
Glass Fanatic
Canoeman is the new owner of that Heddon 8306 that Bud is fondly fondling in a previous photo. After wrestling that carp he wanted a rod with some backbone. Larry, i hope you enjoy the rod!I think Cornmuse wrote some nice things about that rod on his flyfish Ohio site. Its a humdinger!-p-

Post 18 Mar 2008, 01:28 • #130 
Master Guide
Nice photos guys ... every photo that I see and every report that I read makes me more and more sorry that I missed the Glassic.

David

PS ... Do I hear a call for "Glassic '09?"

Post 18 Mar 2008, 01:49 • #131 
Glass Fanatic
David,
Without a doubt there will be an '09 with probably a few more guys from the TFR- words out thiswas a good one!
Les

Post 18 Mar 2008, 02:05 • #132 
Glass Fanatic

I think we should have the next one in a state park somewhere; a place that takes reservations a year in advance; a place that would have a nice area for casting; for fishing; for a general cookout dinner on sat nite; and a place where a fellor has a chance to catch a fish or two. Forget trying to hit the white bass run. In Texas you never know about the weather during early spring or late fall so late spring or early fall would be ideal when the chance for stable weather is good. There are plenty of places that fit that criteria in the central part of the state; Lake Whitney State park being one; lots of others. But, considering the turnout we had for the first one; we'll have more next time. -p-

Post 18 Mar 2008, 02:55 • #133 
Glass Fanatic
It was a pleasure to meet everyone in person. It's hard to get an idea of who people really are based on their comments in this forum. I was surprised to find out you all were a bunch of cantankerous, crotchety old alcoholics. It was like looking into my own future. I'm going to have to rethink some of the choices I have made in life ... Image

Seriously, I appreciate the hospitality and generosity that everyone showed. It was a great chance to cast a bunch of different classic rods. The food, drink, and company were excellent. The fishing was sketchy, but several of us managed to catch a few. Other people managed to catch some nice carp and gaspergou, too.

Post 18 Mar 2008, 05:32 • #134 
Master Guide
I am. with Pea on this one. This whole thing took on a life of its own quickly. Timing the Sand Bass run is pretty rough. It looks like we missed it by one Day! Limited availability of lodging options and limited access to the river are also factors that need to be considered.

Might even consider one of the private lake venues in the future. Something with camping available, and access by shore, yak, float tube..etc ... , maybe the park up at Meridian even.
But, having said that. I had fun, and I never wet a line.

Post 18 Mar 2008, 05:33 • #135 
Master Guide
And Curtis ... there is no choice in life ... only destiny!LMAO

Post 18 Mar 2008, 05:54 • #136 
Master Guide
I'm definately in for the next get together ... and I'll change my priorities ... nothing will interfere next time.

I'd vote for camping ... yak access ... place to cook and hang out ...

David

Post 22 Mar 2008, 07:26 • #137 

Barry, Pearow, Keebranch and All,

My name is Kurt and I've been lurking for some time. This is by far the best board I've seen. The knowledge and camaradrie are outstanding. Canoeman and I've been fishing buds for some time. We both live in Ada, Ok, not far from the Blue River. My fishing is divided between warmwater bass and perch during the majority of the year and put and take trout fishing on the Blue and Mountain Fork in the cooler months.

I picked up flyfishing a long time ago in my early teens, using a solid glass rod from OTASCO, a hardware store in my hometown of Pauls Valley. After a long dry spell while in college, I again picked up a fly rod a little more that 20 years ago. I went the graphite route and have several nice rods as well as an old Phillipson Pacemaker 8.5' 3 piece 5 wt.. But I guess I longed for going back to my roots, especially after lurking here for a good while. I now have quite a few Fenwicks (I especially like the older FFxx ferilites and the Wright & McGill Sweetheart.

The folks at the Central Texas Glassic were my kind of folks. I've never met a better bunch. Bud, thanks for the Herter's reel with agate stripping guide. It really takes me back to my roots. Barry, on the other end of my continuium, thanks for the great 6'10" S-Glass rod on the TFO blank. Pearow, thanks for letting me watch you cast, Lefty Kreh in the flesh! And all you guys I've not yet learned your names, thanks for sharing your rods and your experiences/wisdom. Last, but not least, to my good friend Canoeman, thanks for inviting me. As you said in your post, this is by far the best "clave" I've attended. My hats off to all of you, the finest bunch of fishing buds I've ever seen!

Kurt "catmanjack" Jackson

Post 22 Mar 2008, 10:14 • #138 
Glass Fanatic
good to hear from you Kurt; I'm glad you Okie guys came; you added some class to the scene. i didn't tell you but I still own a browning/silaflex i bought at OTASCO many years ago; I think i paid $8.95 for it. What a deal!I love fishing the okie streams for smallmouth. I'll have to get barry and head north sometime(We're checking to see if there's any warrants out on him up there!LOL)-p-

Post 22 Mar 2008, 11:08 • #139 
Master Guide
Gene LOL, I don't sweat the warrants any more since I found out about the Statue of Limitations. So ... I'm ready when you are. Kurt I sent you an e-mail to see how you and Larry fared after that storm cell went through. It looked like it might have got a little rough up there. Glad that y'all got through it OK.

Post 22 Mar 2008, 11:09 • #140 
Larry and I were just talking about you, Barry, Les, and anyone else who wanted to join us fishing the Lower Mountain Fork in mid to late May. May be a tad early for smallmouth but Larry has to put in a bid for a particular week. And, who knows, there are quite a few creeks around the area that just might have some smallmouth action.

catmanjack

Post 22 Mar 2008, 11:12 • #141 
Master Guide
Just let me know when and where, and I'll be there. I love those Smallies!

Post 22 Mar 2008, 12:02 • #142 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Kurt,
Good to see you here. I look forawrad to seeing you and Larry again.
Les

Post 22 Mar 2008, 14:57 • #143 
Master Guide
Kurt!
Glad you joined up. I think if you and Larry decide to have Pearow and Barry come up for some smallie fishing, you definately need to let me know so I can ride herd on those two. There ain't no tellin' what sort of trouble they could find between Fort Worth and Oklahoma ... LOL Image

Post 23 Mar 2008, 08:19 • #144 
Master Guide
Kurt ... I didn't wet a line and I had a blast! It was a pleasure to meet you. Looking forward to seeing you again and fishing a little. I promise to leave all my little toys at home this time ... LOL

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 New Topic Add Reply