It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:17

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
My Orvis family
Post 16 Dec 2007, 13:20 • #1 
Emeritus
I really enjoy my Orvis reels. Some I guess would be considered classic while others not. I try to buy the best example I can find for the best price (Duh!) so I pick and choose carefully and don't mind losing on Ebay once in awhile. I've got a long ways to go just for the freshwater reels.

Back row left to right:
SSS, Madison (Pflueger), Battenkill (Young), Magnalite (Young), Magnalite (BFR), Green Mt. II (Martin)

Middle row:
Battenkill Flyweight (Hardy), BBS II, Battenkill Disc (BFR), Presentation (STH), Rocky Mt. (BFR)

Front row:
CFO (Hardy), Battenkill III (Hardy), Battenkill MK III, Madison (BFR)

Missing from the family picture are the Clearwater and Wye

Last edited by cofisher on 01 May 2008, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.

My Orvis family
Post 16 Dec 2007, 15:10 • #2 
Administrator
Great collection cofisher. I especially like the three on the back row ... and the Young in the center. Very nice.

My Orvis family
Post 16 Dec 2007, 15:43 • #3 
Guide
Great reels! The Magnalite on the back row appears in great shape!

My Orvis family
Post 16 Dec 2007, 15:47 • #4 
Emeritus
Thanks Cam and Andy. The Beaudex is actually the best of the group as far as close to mint. I don't know what I was thinking, I forgot the Battenkill Barstock and CFO click and Pawl!

My Orvis family
Post 16 Dec 2007, 15:50 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
they all look pretty in a group like that. I have a green Rocky Mountain 34 that would look good in front between that Clearwater and the Madison. Reminds me I have to get a hold of Orvis for a drag part I lost. Thanks for the topic. I hope others will pick up on it.
Paul

My Orvis family
Post 16 Dec 2007, 15:52 • #6 
Administrator
WHAT! You're missing reels? Set up the photo again ... since we've got to see them.

My Orvis family
Post 16 Dec 2007, 18:03 • #7 
Nice photos H! I'll have to sit down and photo some of their long lost brothers & sisters ...

JC

My Orvis family
Post 17 Dec 2007, 16:28 • #8 
Emeritus
Thanks Jamie. I figured 10 reels (8 showing) was enough to take a family portrait. Let's see the long lost relatives. :D

My Orvis family
Post 17 Dec 2007, 16:40 • #9 
Piscator
This was the first time I opened the thread to see the photos. (sometimes my computer is wierd that way)

Excellent collection. Martin, Young, Pflueger, BFR.

My Orvis family
Post 17 Dec 2007, 17:03 • #10 
The long lost relatives ... I started collecting Orvis reels a few years ago, when I looked at my random misc. reel collection a realized that I need to focus on something ... I chose british made Orvis click & paw in the 5/6 size, I really like the Battenkills. Some of these are not click and paw, the pfleuger made & the battenkill 5/6 disc, and some were made in the USA, but they still seem to fit to me ... Howard & I have been chatting off line for almost a year now about these reels. Enjoy.

Misc. "Lesser" Orvis':
Front

Back
Left to right: Madison (Pfleuger), Madison (BFR), Wye (Intrepid?), Green Mountain I (Martin), & Rocky Mountain 5/6 (BFR)

The Battenkills:
Front

Back
Left to Right: Battenkill (Young), Battenkill Lightweight (Young), Battenkill III (Hardy), Battenkill Mark III (Hardy), Battenkill 5/6 (BFR - Click & Paw) Battenkill 5/6 Disc (BFR)

CFO's:
Front

Back
Left to right: CFO 123 & CFO III - Anniversary addition (Both from Hardy)

P.S. If any of you have a reel not listed and are willing to part with it I am open to negotiations ... ;)

My Orvis family
Post 17 Dec 2007, 17:26 • #11 
Guide
I learned something new today, Hardy made some Orvis reels?

My Orvis family
Post 18 Dec 2007, 06:39 • #12 
Emeritus
Howard and Jamie, nice info and photos, great to see the two Orvis clans together ...

My Orvis family
Post 18 Dec 2007, 08:25 • #13 
Emeritus
Thanks Kevin. This was our first reunion and we hope to keep adding family members and doing this once a year. >D Since the Martins' are a part of the family, we will invite you next year as well. BYOB!

... and if no one objects, I would like to mention that Jamie is a fantastic bamboo rod builder from New Jersey. Jamie revitalized and made a new tip for a Granger Special I had. I'm pushing him towards the dark side! :evil

My Orvis family
Post 18 Dec 2007, 10:52 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Hardest reels I've found from Orvis were the CFO Multipliers. I have two or three of most of the Hardy Multipliers, so decided to add the CFO Multipliers by Hardy to the collection. I was only able to get one of them if two years, so sold it and gave up on that idea.

Nice Collection.

Barry

My Orvis family
Post 19 Dec 2007, 01:52 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Nice. Yes, Orvis is a great marketer of reels made by others. I like the theme and assembly of your collection, which includes reels made by Hardy, JW Young, Pflueger, Martin, BFR and and some others. The "Wye" is a KP Morritt, which I believe started the Intrepid name, and later became part of BFR and or Leeda. The backplate contours that accommodate the checkwork are a design cue, which comes forward in other brands as well, such as the Cortland Crown rimfly. The Young Battenkill lightweight--wow.

My Orvis family
Post 19 Dec 2007, 14:34 • #16 
Thanks Everyone! Especially whirlpool! I was not sure of the maker of the Wye, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Jamie

My Orvis family
Post 20 Dec 2007, 16:10 • #17 
Emeritus
New reel>>>Orvis SSS made in Argentina. 7/8 wt. (Can't remember by who, i'm spending all my money on reels instead of my memory medicine.) Unusual because of the double handle and not seen for sale every day.

My Orvis family
Post 20 Dec 2007, 16:18 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
STH been around that long?

My Orvis family
Post 20 Dec 2007, 16:30 • #19 
Emeritus
Thanks Rockthief ... I think you're right. I believe that the reel was made in the late 80's but can't swear to it. I don't think it was made for very long. STH made the SSS and the Presentation for Orvis if my thinking is correct.

My Orvis family
Post 20 Dec 2007, 18:34 • #20 
Nice reel H! I'll second STH as the maker. It looks alot like the Presentation, just a 'lil bigger ...

JC

My Orvis family
Post 21 Dec 2007, 03:04 • #21 
Administrator
cofisher ... GREAT REEL! That Orvis SSS will look great on one or more of the W&M rods that you've been collecting.

You need to plan a big trout road trip and put those seven weights to work!

My Orvis family
Post 28 Dec 2007, 17:09 • #22 
Emeritus
The SSS arrived today and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. It's a really nice looking reel with a sweet sound. I would really like to post some pictures of the insides, but I haven't figured out how to take it apart yet! :o

The reel came packed in a Teton Tioga reel box with Tioga instructions. Does anyone know if they are the same reel?

My Orvis family
Post 29 Dec 2007, 17:28 • #23 
Definately not the same reel, my dad is a big Teaton/Tioga fan, as they are made in the USA. They are neat reels as you can use a large arbor or standard arbor spool on the same frame, they are a little heavy though. The SSS was made in Argentina by STH.

Happy New Year & Nice Reel,
JC

My Orvis family
Post 29 Dec 2007, 18:16 • #24 
Administrator
cofisher ... did you get it apart yet? I am looking forward to more photographs.

My Orvis family
Post 30 Dec 2007, 17:40 • #25 
Emeritus
Thanks to Bulldog for leading me to Clark's reel section to find the solution.

There was enough dirt and thick black grease inside that I couldn't get it all off. Hopefully one more bath and it will look good as new.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply