It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:11

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Jun 2007, 09:29 • #1 
Can anyone shed any light on this fishing rod? Sorry I don't have a picture (the rod's not mine), but it is a 2-piece rod made of greenish glass. The reel seat looks a little like that on the posted pictures of the "Dr. Howald Purist", in that there is a plastic sleeve that slides down to hold the reel, but the labels on the rod are different. On this rod there is a small decal that says "Honor Built Honor Sold". Under the decal, machine printed in ink (on four lines), are the words "HOWALD GLASTIK WONDEROD BY SHAKESPEARE EXP #19-1" (or maybe it says "EXP #15-1").

From one of Glastik's posts on the "Rod Pictures" thread, I learned that the word "Glastik" wasn't used after 1947. Does the pressence of that word on this rod date it to 1947 or earlier? It doesn't look like either of the two 1947 rods in Glastik's photo. Was a rod like this ever sold commercially, or is it possibly a pre-production rod?

And thanks to everyone on this forum. What little I know about these old fishing rods, I learned here.

Thanks,
Art

Post 17 Jun 2007, 10:40 • #2 
Administrator
Art,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders!

Hopefully Gaddis will respond your post with an answer. But some photos would really help.

Tom

Post 17 Jun 2007, 12:33 • #3 
Guide
Hey there-

It sounds like a Shakespeare experimental rod. I'd sure like to see detailed pix, and maybe a chance to own it. Any chance?

Glastik

Post 17 Jun 2007, 17:02 • #4 
Thank you both. I'll try to get some photographs from the rod's owner, along with permission to post them here. That may take a few days. I'm really curious now to find out exactly what it is, and hope you can help. And sorry, but I'm sure it's not for sale. Art

Post 18 Jun 2007, 05:14 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with Glastik. It's probably a prototype. Would like to see the pics too.

Post 22 Jun 2007, 14:46 • #6 
Thank you for your patience. Here are some photographs. I'd appreciate any insight into what exactly this fishing rod might be, or any suggestions as to who might be able to identify it. The rod is 8 feet long, and has 3 line guides on the handle section plus 9 on the tip section. This rod was given by Arthur Howald in the late 1960s or early 1970s to his son-in-law for the purpose of learning to fly fish. (I wonder if that was a prerequisite for marrying his daughter.) My guess is the rod probably dates from about that time, and not from the 1940s, despite the printed label "Glastik". His house was no doubt full of fishing rods, and this might have been one he had just "lying around". The rod has no sock or tube, but is in a long cardboard box with the Shakespeare Company listed on the return address, although I don't know for sure that this particular rod was actually mailed in that box.

Post 23 Jun 2007, 16:00 • #7 
Guide
Wow! This is undoubtedly a prototype Wonderod from 1946. I have examined an early pre-Shakespeare Howald fiberglass prototype (see my photo in the Rod Pictures area) and I'm convinced from the decal, glastik monicker, and provenance, that this is a rod that was made up either by or for Dr. Howald as a test rod. Truly a historic piece of angling history there.
Henry Shakespeare once told me that he and Dr. Howald made up several flyrod prototypes and gave them to Paul Young, Ted Williams, and Charles Ritz to test. I'm sure they made up a few for themselves. This has to be one of them.
Thank you for posting the pictures! Very exciting find.

Glastik

New Topic Add Reply