It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 09:42

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Oct 2009, 08:14 • #1 
this may be an unfair comparison, but i am in the process of purchasing - i think - an abercrombie & fitch 7 1/2 foot 'firehole' ( essentially a Phillipson 'peerless' i believe ) and because most of my experience is with Phillipson glass ( MF60 and MF70 ) i wondered if anyone has ever fished this rod and how it compares with the feel of glass. another thing to consider is that a lot of my fishing is done in the subsurface and whether that is a consideration i should factor in regarding this particular rod. any information is much appreciated. thanks, david

Post 29 Oct 2009, 08:44 • #2 
Piscator
It's a bit crisper than equivalent glass, but will also fish a WF5 very nicely.
A friend who came from Silaflex glass, loving his 7'er, bought the same Phillipson cane and can't put it down.

Post 29 Oct 2009, 09:51 • #3 
thanks ron - it surprises me a bit because i guess my preconceptions about bamboo is that it is generally slower than either glass or graphite. hope you're enjoying the full flex. thanks.

Post 29 Oct 2009, 10:40 • #4 
Piscator
from my experience, most venerable glass rods are slower than cane. In fact, the equivalent bulk modulus of bamboo is higher than E-glass, and about the same as S-glass. My Quiet Loop VF805 is probably the most bamboo-like glass rod I own.
The fullflex is a sweet rod. I hope you're enjoying the Featherweight. I still think of the rod fondly but couldn't justify keeping 3 MF70s.

Post 29 Oct 2009, 15:33 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
from my experience, most venerable glass rods are slower than cane.

I don't agree and don't believe you can make a generalization like this that's accurate. Many fine glass rods that I've handled and own are crisper than bamboo. I guess it's what you call venerable and what someone else feels is a venerable rod, which is a nebulous point here on this forum.

Post 30 Oct 2009, 18:26 • #6 
Administrator
Merriam-Webster defines venerable as "calling forth respect through age, character, and attainments; or conveying an impression of aged goodness and benevolence". So for our forum, let's define venerable glass as older than your humble administrator, yet still a good fly rod. That would include rods from the 40s, if you can find them at all, and the 50s, if you can find good ones.

Given that, I agree that "most venerable glass rods are slower than cane". In my opinion, venerable glass includes the early Heddon glass rods, both painted and clear coated; the Conolon Fan Wing and Citation; the early, lighter weight, Silaflex Medallions; and the shorter, softer Actionrods. While I haven't cast as many 50s era cane rods as bulldog, those I have handled were quicker and less limber. It wasn't until Phillipson developed the Eponites that good glass had a crisper action.

Tom

Post 22 Nov 2009, 14:18 • #7 
Master Guide
Superman is invenerable to bullets

Post 22 Nov 2009, 21:45 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Golfswithwolves wrote:
Superman is invenerable to bullets

hey GWW, are you referring to the "faster than" or "older than" definition here?

Post 22 Nov 2009, 21:55 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
It's a bit crisper than equivalent glass, but will also fish a WF5 very nicely.
A friend who came from Silaflex glass, loving his 7'er, bought the same Phillipson cane and can't put it down.

hey ron, i initially thought bamboo rods were much softer than glass. my first bamboo rods were cheap 9' trout rods. boy did i like the crisper/lighter feel of an 8' sweetheart and a 7'6" feralite. then later i cast quality 7' bamboo. wow that was great! much more crisp and just a pleasure to cast, though the actual value of the rod made me nervous. as i couldn't afford to replace my friends collectible bamboo rod, i happily fished my glass instead. he called me a chicken.

New Topic Add Reply