It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:55

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Oct 2009, 05:09 • #1 
At the prodding of your friend and mine, Keebranch, I have ventured into the forum for a look at things "glass" ...

As he may have mentioned, I am the chair of the Southern Council Federation of Fly Fishers Conclave held in Mountain Home, AR in October 2010. We just finished our 2009 'clave last weekend and now are working on next year's program.

I would love to see some glassers at next year's event along with some presentations and programs geared toward glass. So, with that, I'm challenging you to come up with something that could be used as a program - say an hour to three hours maybe more - for those who prefer the sweetness of the glass rod over the graphite broomstick, or those just curious.

My email is tbeeson-at-hotmail-dot-com if you would like to submit an idea. I will be exploring these ideas in the months to come.

(Don't let me forget to bookmark this site!)

Post 06 Oct 2009, 07:02 • #2 
Emeritus
Terry- welcome!
Interesting challenge, let me cogitate ...

Lots of flexibility here ... the concentration is on glass but just jump in and enjoy!

Post 06 Oct 2009, 07:24 • #3 
Guide
ImageWelcome aboard!
Just tell folks how much you love a 3 weight and you'll fit in perfectly around here.

Post 06 Oct 2009, 09:12 • #4 
Administrator
Terry,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! How about Glass Fly Rods; Vintage to Modern or something along those lines? The best thing would be a selection of glass rods for some test casting to go with the presentation(s). Quite a few anglers would be surprised by modern glass rods. After all, the fly fishing literature clearly says fiberglass is heavy, dull, and clunky.

Tom

Post 07 Oct 2009, 02:52 • #5 
FL ... I DO love my 3 wt ... My glass collection consists of about an 6-7 wt production rod that was my FIL's and a new Eagle Claw 6' 6" with a vintage US - Arkansas made Pfluegar Medalist reel.

Tom ... I like how you think. I need presenters to come to Mountain Home, AR NEXT October, so you've got a year -- well sort of -- to think about it. Actually, I'm trying to begin nailing down programs now. I think a fiberglass exposure at this venue could mean something bigger in the area down the road.

OH ... and Thursday night, Sept 30, 2010 will be the welcome party/dinner put on by Keebranch and his crew ... That in itself will be worth the trip!

Post 07 Oct 2009, 05:32 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Terry,
Again, welcome!

As far as promoting glass rods, methinks we should let people continue to think they are heavy, dull, and clunky. Prices are already out of control as it is.

Just kidding of course,
Keith

Post 08 Oct 2009, 05:38 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
All,
This could be a lot of fun, and a good way for folks to be introduced to glass in hands-on sort of way. That is, we would have rods for folks to pick up wiggle and cast (assuming an owner doesn't mind).

Maybe some modern manufacturers would be willing to submit product for the Conclave. Cameron are you listening? Image

By the way I spoke with Cornmuse and he's interested in setting some time aside to come down and help as well.

Let's keep the ideas rolling.

Les

New Topic Add Reply