It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:40

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Sep 2009, 14:30 • #1 
Emeritus

We will tentatively plan this event for the weekend of November 14th and 15th at Smokemont Campground on the banks of the Bradley Fork in Great Smokey Mountain National Park. This will serve as the central meeting location for those wishing to come, eat some food, cast some rods and possibly camp for a few nights. I welcome those wanting to make a day trip as well.
Unfortunately, the park does not allow for reservations in the system after October 31st, so I will have to show up and see what is available. This late in the season, we should not have any issue getting a space to camp. I am going to look to camp in the B or C loop, close to the banks of the creek. Campsites include a fire ring with cooking grill and a picnic table with lantern pole. I will have signage on my vehicle or near my campsite for those coming in late or making a day trip. I am happy to coordinate meals for those planning to attend.

Address and directions:

Smokemont Campground
60 Enloe Floyd Bottoms Road
Cherokee, NC 28719

Phone: 828-497-9270

Lat/Long: N35.5571 W083. 3117

From Cherokee, NC: Take Newfound Gap Road (aka US 441) North 6 miles. Turn right at campground sign.

From Gatlinburg, TN: Take Newfound Gap Road (aka US 441) South 27 miles. Turn left at campground sign

Campground link:
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Smoke. .. rkId=70967

GSMNP map link:
http://www.nps.gov/carto/PDF/GRSMmap4.pdf

Thanks all!

Corey

Last edited by HouzeHead on 22 Sep 2009, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Sep 2009, 01:28 • #2 
Master Guide
Corey- I will be traveling back and forth from the NE to the SE ... I would be interested in fishing some new waters ... keep us informed.
Fred

Post 13 Sep 2009, 07:32 • #3 
Master Guide
Excellent ... November is a great time to fish in the GSMNP, although fallen leaves can make casting/wading a bit of an adventure. I'm thinking the streams in the Bryson City area: Deep Creek, Noland, Forney, Bradley Fork, etc. would be just about as good as it gets that time of year, though y'all are certainly welcome over on my side of the hill as well.Image

Post 14 Sep 2009, 07:32 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Bryson City also gives easy access to DH on the Nanty and Tuck.

I'd love to, and woulld hope to. But my fall is looking iffy enough that I probably shouldn't advance any dates; just have to play it as something that I can do if I can do it.

Bob

Post 16 Sep 2009, 01:46 • #5 
Emeritus
I am thinking the weekend of the 14th, though this is tentative.

Bryson is always a good base of operations with lots of options.

How are water levels in the park, dismal? Maybe Elkmont would be a better, if the Tenn. side has more water.

Post 16 Sep 2009, 03:19 • #6 
I was fishing Elkmont two weekends ago. Water was terrific. It was dry since then, but started raining yesterday and is supposed to rain through the future forecast (next Tuesday). Given the way our weather has been the water in the park should be great.

Going to Elkmont again next weekend. Be glad to keep you up dated.

John

Post 16 Sep 2009, 18:15 • #7 
Administrator
John,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! How good are the fishing prospects in mid November? I've never fished GSMNP, so this is an appealing idea.

Tom

Post 17 Sep 2009, 08:38 • #8 
Emeritus

John- I appreciate the offer- please update me as of your next outing.

Fall can be great in the Southeast, cooler temps, hungry fish and enough olives, October Caddis and terrestrials around to keep the fish looking up. One of my favorite times to be on the water.

Corey

Post 17 Sep 2009, 08:51 • #9 
Administrator
I'd like to drop in for at least a day. Maybe an overnight. Who knew having two children would cramp a fishing style this much? HA ...

Post 17 Sep 2009, 09:32 • #10 
Master Guide
I knew ... I am probably going to find out what 3 kids does at some point. I will give you a full report when that time comes.

Post 17 Sep 2009, 12:17 • #11 
Master Guide
To be honest, by mid-November you can expect a little frost on the proverbial punkin' and your fishing days to be pretty short while you wait for the sun to come up over the ridge. Still, I've caught nice trout on dries in every month of the year, and mid-November is only time mere mortals like me can hope to hook up with some of our big browns. (A couple of years ago, there was an honest 30-incher caught just up from the Deep Creek Campground.) Now, that's certainly not a problem if everybody wants to eat a big breakfast, play with everybody's toys, and get the campfire started by dusk (which would be my voteImage) but those of you looking for consistent "action" might be better served on the Nantahala and Tuckasegee tailwaters.

As for water levels, we're still too far out to make the call, but our rainfall this year has really brought us out of the drought we've suffered through the past two years.

Post 18 Sep 2009, 02:46 • #12 
As some of you mentioned in November it does cool down. But there are also some nice warm days too. If its warm I might try some dries, but usually its subsurface stuff ... softhackles are good. I like fishing this time of the year - partly because we get all those tourists off the water. But I'm about being in God's country and soaking up the beauty of the area (which can't be beat). Catching is a bonus. Image

Post 22 Sep 2009, 03:03 • #13 
Emeritus
Updated location and tenative date on the 1st. post.

Looking forward to some fall fishing!

Regards,

Corey

Post 22 Sep 2009, 04:06 • #14 
Administrator
OK ... see the dates and the location. I'm taking the wife to lunch today and see if I can't get a pass that weekend. We'll see ...

Post 22 Sep 2009, 10:59 • #15 
Master Guide
Excellent ... that's a great place, though I might have to sneak off with some of y'all to one of the creeks that drain into Fontana Lake--some interesting, ah, shadows that time of year. (I'd say more, but the Swain County Mafia can be touchy in such matters ... Image)

Post 22 Sep 2009, 11:08 • #16 
Administrator
OK ... the wife was cool with it. Not sure if I'll do Friday/Saturday. Run up for just Saturday. Or what ... but looks like I should be there for some part of it.

Post 22 Sep 2009, 13:20 • #17 
Master Guide
Why am I always at least a 10 hour drive from gatherings? I wish I could make it, just not gonna happen for me this year.

Post 22 Sep 2009, 17:17 • #18 
Guide
I'd love to be there, but my anniversary is that week-end. Post lots of pictures when you get back! I'd be up for something within striking range of Atlanta in spring '10. - John

Post 23 Sep 2009, 05:24 • #19 
Sport
I am gonna try to come over the mtn. for this also. Its one of my favorite area campgrounds with lots of good water. Even if the wild streams are getting too cold by Mid Nov., the Cherokee stocked streams are close by and they have a C&R trophy section with lots of 5-8 pd rainbows. Those things will hit anytime of the year.

Post 24 Sep 2009, 10:25 • #20 
Master Guide
I will plan to be there, unless something doesn't work out. I have always wanted to fish those waters, hope to get my chance. -Fred

Post 24 Sep 2009, 10:31 • #21 
Emeritus
There sure are some funny looking fish in that trophy water ...

Spencer DT- Don't you mean only 10 hours?

Alright gang- Looks like Sat afternoon may be the best time for a meet and greet meal. I am thinking I will do some of the local sausages (this time with buns), with some peppers and onions, very little I can mess up here, but I am open to suggestions. Please bring your beverage of choice, I will have some extras on hand as well.

Thanks all!

Corey

Post 24 Sep 2009, 10:35 • #22 
Master Guide
A well fed fish indeed! Very nice.

Post 28 Sep 2009, 08:26 • #23 
Well, I said I'd update re: Elkmont ... TNSmallieMan and a couple other friends met up there Friday about noon. We lucked out and missed the rain. Water was still up from having rained off and on over the last couple weeks. Ended up with the only fish caught there - an itty bitty bow no longer than my forefinger.

Heading back home, went a couple miles and it started raining. Rained all day Saturday. Some of you probably heard they ended up evacuating Elkmont Campground Saturday afternoon due to the rise in water.

In other words, our fishing experience isn't indicative of what fishing may be like in November. (I hope!)

-John

Post 13 Oct 2009, 07:56 • #24 
Master Guide
I will planning to attend. I have a project that I'm working on in Mooresville, NC ... I plan to break away from it and make it on Saturday. Hopefully, if everything works out with the timing ... I will "debut" my new line of fiberglass fly rods! 7'0"-#3-3pc., 7'6"-#4-3pc., and 8'0"-#5-3pc. My website and the details should be ready just before the gathering and hopefully, I will have the rods finished and be present at the gathering as well. -Fred

Post 13 Oct 2009, 09:01 • #25 
Master Guide
Great news ... hopefully Cameron will be there with his D40 and make us all look beautiful.Image (BTW, if you showed up with a 5-piece that cast like an FF70, I'd trade you my car for it and walk home.)

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply