It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:54

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
THE CLASSIC SILK WRAP
Post 25 Aug 2018, 16:41 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
This is one of my Favorite Fiberglass fly rods,The Iconic Rod is Unknown in terms of the Maker.
As a Fishing Tool it's quite capable in fact the rod see's considerable use,I'm closing out,selling off all my treasures,Due to the Series of Strokes I had back on April 5th of this year,The Holmes Perfect Reel That was hanging off this rod recently sold in my close out sale.
While I was taking pictures of the Holmes out in the noon day sun decided since this rod was out I'd see if I could capture a little of it's amazing magic to share with you all here.

For Those Whom Never Heard The Term Silk Wrap.

It's Just That The Rod Is Wrapped In Fine Silk As Part Of The Blanks Finish,It's An Old High End Bamboo Finish,As The Blank Is Being Covered The Guides Are Also Covered Giving The Appearance That The Guides Are Part Of The Blank.

Most Of The Time When You Have A Silk Wrapped Rod The Silk Is A Natural Color And Turns Transparent Against The Natural Bamboo,Very Often You Don't Even Realize The Blank Is Covered In Silk.
It's A Very Fine Finishing Technique That Died With The Masters.

When sharing pictures of this rod in the past or the actual rod it's self with out any explanation,it's very common for so called Rod Makers even to miss what the rod is and some big shots have even laughed at the rod in some cases, It's very common that absolutely no one picks up on the brilliance and fine finish techniques applied here.

In The Case Of This Rod,The Silk Wrap Was Done In A Very Cool Variety Of Silks Both In Colors And Design,The Pattern Is Absolutely Amazing And Even Features Some Open Spiral Over Wraps.

The Intensity Of Work And The Required Amount Of Attention To Detail That Went Into This Rod Far Exceeds Anything I've Ever Seen Here Or Anywhere Else In Terms Of Fine Thread Work.

At No Place On The Rod Not Anywhere Can You See The Blank,The Blank Is Completely Covered,Also The Wraps Are Tight No Blank Ghosting Or Gaps Between Wraps Anywhere !!!!

The Thread Work Some 75 Years Old Is Still Very Brilliant, The Makers Hand And Eye Were Very Keen.
Still Today No Loose Threads And Ferrules That Pop Like A Vintage Wine Cork.
Other Than Some Cork Ridging From My Use The Rod Is 100 %

Anyone Can Assemble Parts And Pieces From A Catalog,Work Like This You Seldom See,Let Alone Have The Opportunity To Fish,Sure Have Had Lots Of Fun Fishing This Would Be Museum Piece ;)

While We Can Go On Day After Day Here With Our Mutual Admiration Society,Continually Blowing Smoke Up Each-Others Back Sides,It's Important To Stop And Sometimes Look Back To Appreciate The Rod Craft Artisans Whom Came Before Us.

Tight Lines And Unknown Classic Fiberglass Loops
Andy M

Post 25 Aug 2018, 19:33 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
So Andy - is the wrap strictly functional (holding the rod together) or is it a style (color and pattern). Without taking away from the obvious talent necessary to do it, it seems one could make either argument. Maybe something of both? Roy

Post 26 Aug 2018, 04:31 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
It's Simple The Silk Wrap.
"It's A Very Fine Finishing Technique That Died With The Masters."
Originally The Method Was Used To Aid In Holding The Bamboo Splines Together As The Old Glue Wasn't What We Have Today.
I Seriously Doubt Bonding Was A Concern When These Fiberglass Shafts Were Silk Wrapped, I'd Consider The Amazing Silk Wrap Done Here Strictly An Example Of The Rod Makers Art At It's Finest.
That's Enough, No Reason To Look For The Work To Be More Than Intended, Nothing To Argue Here.
When We Gaze At A Sculpture, Do We Ask What The Pieces Common Use Or Purpose Might Be, Or Do We See It As The Artistic Expression Of The Sculptor As Was Intended.
Tight Lines And Classic Silken Rod Makers Thread Art Loops
Andy M

Post 26 Aug 2018, 07:18 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Wow. Are there layers of silk put on before the guides? Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the guide feet are sitting on the silk.

Post 26 Aug 2018, 10:02 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
That rod is literally awesome!

Post 26 Aug 2018, 11:36 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Indeed, there is a skill level involved from wrap to finish that is extraordinary.

I’ve not seen anything like the wraps over the ferrules and I love it.

Post 26 Aug 2018, 12:34 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
wow! I'd say that rod is a rarity. can't help wonder how many spools, and how much time it took to do it.

Post 27 Aug 2018, 17:49 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Quote:
Wow. Are there layers of silk put on before the guides? Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the guide feet are sitting on the silk.

Yes the blank is wrapped under the guide feet as well,the real mind teaser is you can't see where the under wraps start and end,same for the open spiral that's continual as well.

The next time I'm outside shooting photo's I'll see if I can get some better guide pictures.

Anybody Recognize The Bakelite Reel Seat Insert or the Hardware ?

Tight Lines And Mystery Rod Loops
Andy M

Post 27 Aug 2018, 18:44 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for sharing .I have never seen a rod like that.I love when someone does something just to do it.Because they can .In my trade i run across examples of work that that neither myself or anyone else i know of could do.Lost arts are becoming the norm/

Post 27 Aug 2018, 19:33 • #10 
Master Guide
I recall seeing this rod at a few of our gathering it’s real sweet.

Post 28 Aug 2018, 08:04 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
8o Not sure about the ferrule, but the pocketed cap and the sliding band sure look Montague to me. I don't know if they wrapped the rod, but they sold parts. I don't know about the bakelite spacer, but that could be Montague too. Several examples of this wrap style are known for bamboo rods, perhaps more information could be forthcoming there.

Post 28 Aug 2018, 08:30 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Yes I fished this Rod in the morning of one of our Core Group Outings on the Housatonic not long ago.
The Reel Seat has allot to be desired in reel holding power, so as you can see I had those yellow wire ties holding the Holmes Perfect Reel on the rod with a DT Cortland 444 Peach coiled within.

The Rod is a true 7 weight ,not the best casting rod I own,it's actually a chore of sorts to fish,You See At Times Many of Us Fishing Tackle Collectors Really Enjoy The Added Challenge Of Fishing With The Antiquated Equipment We Cherish So Deeply.

Trust me on my last Outing a week ago Casting 18' Leaders, 8X With Size 28 Caddis My 7'6" J Kennedy Fisher and My Orvis Battenkill were doing all the reaching out to those well educated weary Farmington River Trouts. :eek

But as with all our fishing tools it comes down to the right tool for the right conditions a stream.
This rod is fun for dragging streamers through the runs and hooking the occasional fish.

As Least you didn't Say Chubb everything looks like a Montague to you Southern Massachusetts Fellas.
Yes good advice Dr P ! I was hoping to stir some archeological interest.
The Fixed Hood has a screw attaching it at the rear,without removing it I'd guess the blank has a wood dowel inserted or it's possibly attached to the Bakelite ????

We often revert back to the Bamboo Makers for answers to Fiberglass Questions,I'd venture to guess that whom ever did the thread work on this rod had Silk Wrapped a few Bamboo Rods in His or Her time.
In my time collecting fishing rods and tinkering them up,I've seen a Monty or two,never saw a Monty with a silk wrap and never saw this reel seat on a Monty. ????

Wonder since they won't allow fiberglass to be mentioned over on that other site,if we could just sneak in a question about the reel seat with a few pictures,I'll bet they say it's a Chubb that's what they always say when they don't know.
Maybe someone with an In with the Moderators over on that other site might just see if they would in the interest of fly fishing history OF COURSE make an exception with a 75 year old glass rod ???

Tight Lines And Don't Hold Your Breath Loops.
Andy M

Post 28 Aug 2018, 19:25 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Andy,

A quick review of postings on the classic site reveals that Chubb acquired the patent for a silk-wrapped rod called the Silkien Rod in 1897. Montague acquired Chubb around the turn of the 19th century, giving rise to the present day usage of "Chubb-Montague" by which is meant Chubb-like rods, or Montague-like Chubb rods built under Montague ownership at the old Vermont Chubb factory. All of this came to an end in 1933, during the depression, when Montague closed the Chubb factory. Silkien rods were so marked by a small rectangular label that was affixed near the signature wraps of the rod. Even if the label has come off, you can sometimes see the ghost of the label's rectangle in the varnish. The label is found on Montague trade rods as well (which was most of Montague's business at the time before the 1930's).

It looks like somebody retained the knowledge and skill some 20 years, or a little less, to apply that process to your rod. Since Montague was an early player in the development of fiberglass rod production, there's a lot we don't know, and it is impossible at this time to fit this rod into any kind of a narrative on early fiberglass rod production and stylistic development. Was this a Montague product, or an individual rodmaker's product, we can't tell at this time.

That's what I found in a quick and dirty reading. I would need more time to develop the bibliography, and references, but that is it for now.

John

Post 29 Aug 2018, 07:37 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thank you very much for your research !!! That's just amazing I've had this rod for decades and never got past wondering whom possibly made it.

It's danger HOT here so I've been hiding out in the very cool by comparison rod shop the last few days.
Going through my stuff putting together another offering for the for sale forum.

I'll be taking pictures for this weeks offerings so I'll get some better pictures of the rod and post them soon.

Wow this is so very much fun,it reminds me of the early days of Fiberglass Fly Rodders when it was all about the history of the classic rods we were all fishing,Rather Than, who's zooming who to get atop the latest trend of cheap knock off import sales.

All Kidding aside Chubb-Montague has put up a tremendous number of fishing rods.
Some of the better rods that came out of the Custom Rod Shops rather than the Factory are Absolutely Amazing.

Thanks again Dr your input is Very Refreshing and Very Much Appreciated.

Tight Lines And Silkien Loops
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 03 Sep 2018, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Aug 2018, 09:12 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Dr. J., that is a nice summary of the history of the Silkien rod.
It seems an oddity to me. This is just a guess, but may be that the Silkien rod style was intended to reinforce
compromised glue, or glue joints? it seems so labor intensive as a standard practice. perhaps available as "presentation grade" option?

Post 29 Aug 2018, 09:57 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
While Chubb may have applied for the Silken patent the Silk Wrap technique was in practical use and a process used by many rod makers of the day.

The First Rod I ever saw with a Silk Wrap was a early Hawes rod that came in many years ago with a broken ferrule, a split female.
I didn't notice the silk wrap until I heated the ferrule to remove it,you see the blank had actually been silk wrapped with a natural thread so it was completely invisible for all intensive purposes.

We learn by our mistakes or at least most of what I learned was by doing, trial and error.
These days you just punch up your favorite supplier and he or she does an amateur version of the task process in many cases that could be considered more a how not to.

My first encounter after some hair pulling with a silk wrap turned out very well ,I ended up removing the silk wrap on the blank about 4" below the ferrule and had to do a Silk Wrap repair before I could replace the split ferrule.
Naturally you could see the repair but I'm sure in a years time when the Varnish Mellowed it all blended better and matched much closer.
Never had any complaints.

Quote:
This is just a guess, but may be that the Silkien rod style was intended to reinforce
compromised glue, or glue joints?

I'm sorry brother I luv ya and all but let's not start any misconceptions here.
That's exactly how misinformation becomes fact.

Nowhere does it say anything about compromised glue joints,this was a High End Rod Finishing Technique Intended To Strengthen The Bond Of The Splines.
And Help Prevent De-lamination.
Part Of The Blanks Finish Process !!!

We see this Wrap Technique Used Today to Repair Bamboo Rods with Hook Strikes or Minor Repairs or as Over Wraps For Scarfs.
We also see it On Fiberglass and Graphite Repairs to some point as well.

Now it's apparent that what I was afraid of is happening,we are getting off the original topic and we are now going down the History Of The Bamboo Rod Rabbit Hole.

That's Okay to establish some insights to the Silk Wrap origins but lets focus on the rod I posted.

Over the years I've seen a good number of Silk Wrapped Bench made rods,this is the only Fiberglass silk wrapped rod I've seen.
It's also different than any other silk wrapped rod in that the silk is full of color where every other rod I ever saw the wrap was either invisible or one color.

I saw a Aluminum rod made in Japan that was silk wrapped in black thread with red thread for the hardware guides etc.The Rod Was Junk. however now I wish I brought it home.

The Sharing Of Ideas and What If's is great, lets see what if anything we can find about any other Silk Wrapped Fiberglass Fly Rods or any type rod with silk wraps as long as we do our best to keep Fiberglass the core of the discussion :)

Tight Lines And Fiberglass Loops
Andy M

Post 29 Aug 2018, 15:43 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Wow this is so very much fun,it reminds me of the early days of Fiberglass Fly Rodders when it was all about the history of the classic rods we were all fishing

I remember those days Andy, sadly, a number of regular posters are not with us any more. Those were heady days indeed!

Sticking to glass, there are not many examples of early Montague hologlass glass rods available. Perhaps board members who have examples might consider posting some pictures? My impression is that the early glass rods were finished-out like bamboo rods of the time. I have one example that is currently on the bench, I'll see if I can get some before photos posted shortly. If they were wrapping them like classic rods, why not a silkien model? Anyone have one out there?

In addition to the objects themselves, some eyewitness informants might be out there. Did anyone on the forum work for Montague on fiberglass rods? Anyone know someone who worked for Montague, that we could interview?

Finally, there is literature. Anyone want to share any Montague fiberglass rod catalogs, pamphlets, and marketing examples? I'll bet they are hard to come by, or we would have seen them by now.

This approach is not unique, some folks have done this on the other forum for bamboo rods, so why not for glass?

Post 29 Aug 2018, 17:39 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Fascinating. We have had some historical interest on this before, but I don't recall it developed much to the "transition" years when Montague was hedging into 'glass while still making bamboo. I would love to see more. Maybe this thread will further stimulate the query about silk wrapped rods. I know nothing about Montague before 1960 or any other brand using that particular art of finish. Bamboo design cues were certainly part of marketing strategy to gain acceptance in the early 'glass days.

Here's one that looks earlier than mine, but silk wrapped, can't see/say. Maybe it will give a clue or start somebody looking for more silkwrap 'glass.:
viewtopic.php?p=56882#p56882

Never had a silk-wrapped rod, and my Montague (early 1960s) wasn't done that way. It was an economy model that a little kid could afford.

Post 29 Aug 2018, 19:02 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Man it was too hot for me I didn't get outside to take any pictures today sorry folks.

Wow that's a good looking all American kid in that picture,it's still okay to say that isn't it ?
He looks like he could be the poster boy for the Summer Issue of Field and Stream 1962 or there about maybe Boys Life ?

Who is that Kid anybody know ? I bet Gadabout Gaddiss knows !

Is that an advertisement for Montague ?

Tight Lines And If We Could Only Roll Back Time Loops
Andy M

Post 29 Aug 2018, 21:19 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Great photo indeed. A bend in the rod and a big smile -- doesn't get better.

Post 30 Aug 2018, 10:57 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Who was that kid? Just stunning Whirlpool!

About 1955, True Temper bought the Montague fiberglass works and moved it to South Carolina, where they began rod production of the True Temper line. For a while, they used the Montague name on some rods. I have a solid glass spin-cast rod that says "Montague" from the early 60s.

Lou's Montague is really cool, a 3/2 configuration. The reel seat looks original, but I am not sure of the grip, and it may have been re-wrapped. Lou, if you are out there; do you still have the rod?

Here's a couple of before pictures of my holloglass (sorry, I misspelled it in the earlier post), it may have been a 3/2 configuration, but when I found it, only the butt and mid were left. I am currently trying to restore it to fishable condition-Andy kindly was able to supply a matching tip, and ferrule set, so I will be re-wrapping the rod, but more on that later.
ImageDSC05658 (2) by John Pretola, on Flickr
ImageDSC05665 (2) by John Pretola, on Flickr
ImageDSC05661 (2) by John Pretola, on Flickr
ImageDSC05658 by John Pretola, on Flickr
The color scheme looks similar to a bamboo sunbeam from ca. 1950. The blue reel seat, and the blue/white variegated silk are spot on. The grip is half-wells mustard cork. True to Montague tradition, the drop-ring hook keeper is close-wrapped, and on the 5 o'clock position. The acetate label is at 6 o'clock. The ferrules are, I think, chrome, or nickel-plated brass, and not at all like those shouldered ferrules found on their bamboo. Can't say much about the guides, the stripper is missing, and the rest are rusted steel much like they used on their bamboo.

Post 30 Aug 2018, 18:52 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Hello John
Wow that's nice,what no pictures with the tip ?? I'm looking forward to casting that rod next time we get together so get it finished. :eek

Had a great chat about the Mystery Rod Today with one of our more pleasant members.
You know one of those older Gentleman whom has recently retired
Honest To God He knew who the guy in the picture was and shared some wonderful memories with me.

Just remembered I have some Montague rods I'll see if I can find them,they should be in the Clave Box.
Geese I need to find new homes for all those rods to.
Anybody need a complete collection of a hundred or so classic fiberglass fly rods. :lol

One of the things we found out chatting today is we both have a common distaste hatred in fact for a certain rod Manufactures Rods as a whole.
Neither of us would give a plug nickle for an XYZ rod if our lives depended on it.
Good Thing XYZ went out of business. :lol
Maybe that's why was the punch line,we both laughed full belly.

Well the heat has been so bad here with my health issues I'm stuck inside pretty much until it cools off,hopefully tomorrow I'll get out and get some pictures.
Maybe I'll find a Monty or 2 as well.

Tight Lines And I'll See What I Can Find Loops
Andy M.

Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 31 Aug 2018, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Aug 2018, 22:59 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Gentlemen (and ladies),

Very interesting read about the silk wrapped rods and very cool dive into history aspect.

If memory serves me right, the rod used by the young man in the photo was lost at one point but a replacement was eventually found. Must have been a special rod although I would think the young man would rather have a Fisher rod. :)

Post 31 Aug 2018, 09:09 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the additional info. Ha! I don't recall when Fisher got started but in 1960 they weren't on the racks of any discount stores in the east where a kid went shopping on a lawnmowing budget because the rods where he bought his Pflueger 1494 were too expensive ! I think the guy still has the Pflueger, good as ever. Actually, it wasn't the best choice for the Monty and he went to a 1495 a few years later.

You know, that is great history about Monty and TT. Now I am wondering if they maintained both names for different product lines over the years. Somewhere along the way the last 10 or 15 years I was given or gave a dollar at a yard sale for a TT 8 1/2' 'glass rod. Never researched it much, just ballparked in my own mind, based on cosmetics, that it was a late 60s early 70s rod. Used it smallmouth fishing on the Penobscot once or twice--where I would usually have used the Monty. It was a decent rod of its type that I passed on to someone else.

Those pictures just resurfaced last month when my brother sent them for family recollection at the time of my aunt's death, age 90. She was with us on that long western camping trip. That's up on the Gros Ventre River above Jackson Hole--if I remember correctly. I didn't get a chance to read her journals of the trip yet. Both my dad and his sister were camera enthusiasts and excellent amateur photographers, so just looking at the pics is too long walk down memory lane. Plus if I have to wait another 15 minutes for the clouds and sunlight to be right for a landscape photo, I'll never get any fishing in.

Post 31 Aug 2018, 16:48 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Took a bunch of pictures of old rods today.
More pictures of the Silk Wrapped Rod and a few of some Montague's I have hanging around.
Not Much Time Now So I'll just Dump In The Pictures For Now.
Tight Lines And More Soon Loops
Andy M
[Below are the Monty rods I don't see any likeness with the Silk Rods Reel Seat Or Ferrule Welt.
Tight Line And That's All For Today Loops
Andy M

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply