It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:16

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Sep 2018, 10:10 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Wow, those Montagues are sure old-timers. Are they 2 piece, or 3piece missing a section?
I agree there appears no relation whatsoever between the silk-wrapped rod and the Montagues. It does not look like a production rod, and I think you are right that it is the product of an independent rod builder. That builder made it to last, and it certainly has.

Post 01 Sep 2018, 18:21 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Old Friend .
The last few days have been very tiresome,full of disappointments enough to give one the blues.
At least the heat wave gave way to some cooler temperatures.
Maybe things will cool down all around now.

When I posted the pictures I didn't have time to elaborate,the one with the green wraps was held onto because it's a 7'6" 2/1 5 weight everything full length, sound and straight,it was intended to be a remake that never got past the dreaming stages.
The one with the red wraps is a 8' 2/1 7 weight that was a potential remake as well.it's actually in good shape but could use some T.L.C. maybe a missing guide.

I purchase the 7'6" in a New Hampshire junk shop a couple of winters ago,it had a very nice fly reel hanging off it,I got the guy down to $45.

I've been looking at reel seats to match to this Silk Wrapped Rod for years and haven't found a match yet.
It very well could be a Monty they sure had enough different models ????

It would be nice to know for sure where the rod may have come from,maybe someday I'll know,if anybody wants to help find the origin I'd be very appreciative.
Maybe the fun is in the search, it always has spoored my interest.

It's been a very long last few days I'm going to put it to bed for today.

Tight Lines And Tired Loops
Andy M

Post 03 Sep 2018, 05:34 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Below is a tidbit from an Americain Fly Fishing Museum Article about the history of Montague.
It showed 3 rods and one had the Silkien process finish.

"The Chubb Silkien process rod.
The Silkien rods were entirely wrapped in silk,a feat achieved by a method patented by
John Kenyon of Toledo,Ohio.
But that's another story."

John Kenyon Gotta find out more about his process.

Tight Lines And Mystery Rod Loops
Andy M

Last edited by The Glass Master on 03 Sep 2018, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 Sep 2018, 07:57 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Andy,
You might want to go over to the classic forum and do a search for "John Kenyon."
The silkien process for bamboo rods is much discussed there.
John

Post 04 Sep 2018, 08:58 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Hello John
Thanks for the advice,I followed your lead and really didn't find much,most of the pictures were gone with the Photobucket curse.
The American Museum Of Fly Fishing articles however are very informative.
No Mention anywhere of the Silkien Over Fiberglass Process on our Mystery Rod.

When pulling out the Monty Rods From The Clave Box I also found a True Temper, For Fun I'll Post some pictures of that rod as well.

Tight Lines And The Hunt Continues Loops
Andy M

Post 19 Sep 2018, 14:04 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
It was great chatting with you J.P. over lunch about the Montague history and chain of events or transitions the company took before they finally closed.

On my drive home from the river I remembered a story an old timer told me back when I lived in Tinmouth,The Story was that at one time Montague actually made blanks for Orvis.
The old feller was a neighbor that off and on had spent his entire life more or less working in the rod shop in Manchester.
Have you ever heard that rumor ? or was it just talk ?
Wonder if Orvis ever made a Silk Wrapped Rod ??? :eek

I'm really sorry I forgot to bring that bundle of rods, they were right by the rod shop door when I got back.
Next Time !!!

Tight Lines And Great Lunching Loops
Andy M

Post 19 Sep 2018, 16:36 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
It was great fishing and talking with you once again Andy. Wish the fish had been as cooperative, I finally broke my jinx by catching a 6" rainbow that still had its baby spots, after lunch.

That story that Montague made blanks for Orvis is true. I had heard that too, and there is a running discussion on the Classic Forum about Orvis/Montague, or Montague/Orvis rods. It appears that, after WWII, Orvis sold a series of rods in their catalog called "The Montague Rod, Orvis Impregnated." Apparently, these rods were sold exclusively by Orvis. The blanks were made by Montague, then shipped to Manchester, VT where they were impregnated, then re-shipped back to Montague and finished-out by Montague with Orvis reel seats, and then sent back to VT. The time span was maybe 1946 to some time after 1948.

So, a silkien Orvis/Montague, or vise, versa, is possible, but not likely. Wouldn't that be something!

Post 20 Oct 2018, 19:06 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Ran across this today: https://www.montaguerodandreel.com/2017 ... lkien-rod/

Post 21 Oct 2018, 05:57 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Whrlpool, that is a very interesting site!
The silkien process certainly does all that.

Post 21 Oct 2018, 12:57 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks Whirly spent considerable time reading everything last night really great stuff.
Learning about the history of yesterdays craftsman and manufactures is very rewarding for me.
The Silk Wrap info was very cool.
Tight Lines And Love The History Loops
Andy M

Post 08 Mar 2019, 11:53 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Over the last few days I've been cooped up with the cold staying close to the heater.
While skimming over the site today,it's been awhile since I posted anything,today decided to chime in on a few topics.

Got to thinking about this amazing silk wrapped rod and all the research that kinda fell short .

Reading the old topic got me wondering how if at all the Montague Glass rod projects I passed on are progressing ???
Also got to wondering whom rolled the fiberglass blanks for Montague or did the company have the machinery and ovens etc to roll blanks in house ???
If these sound like dumb questions that's fine we'll see how you do in my shoes.

Tight Lines And Off Topic Loops
Andy M

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply