It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:39

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 May 2018, 11:09 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I've complaining to myself about the lack of photos on the forum and realized that I need to figure out what to do myself.

Postimage seems to work ok, but I want something that's going to be around a while. I was inspired to look at Flickr, but it has now been acquired by Smugmug. That made me wonder if it was time to switch to a paid service like Smugmug ($48 per year or $6 per month). I could also just work with Flickr which still appears to be free.

I don't take that many pictures, but I hate to loose the work that I put in, and working with Photobucket and Postimage makes me realize that my time is worth something.

If anyone has looked into these alternatives lately and has any advise or even what to look for, I would be grateful to know what you've learned. Even if it is just the questions to ask.

Post 21 May 2018, 00:33 • #2 
Guide
Carl,

Imgur works pretty well for me and it's still free.

Post 21 May 2018, 10:31 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I use the tapatalk app on my phone

Post 22 May 2018, 08:05 • #4 
Guide
I've been using TinyPic. The pop-up ads are a PITA but it's free.

Post 26 May 2018, 14:14 • #5 
Master Guide
Brings up the question how long it will be before Flickr starts holding pictures hostage like PB did.

Post 28 May 2018, 19:29 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Char Hunter,

Your question is the one that got me thinking about this in the first place. I don't think Flickr will blackmail you like Photo-bucket, but I do think it is worth thinking about paying a reasonable amount for a service that fit's my need. Smug-mug (the company that bought Flickr) is charging $48 per year.

Nothing is free and someone is paying the bill to host these images. So I'm basically looking for a company that has good, responsive software at a reasonable price for the number of pictures I have. Instead of jumping between free image hosting services, I would prefer to pay a reasonable fee and have a stable platform from a company with a sustainable business model. I'm just looking for the right company.

Post 29 May 2018, 14:32 • #7 
Master Guide
Flickr is a great option, but I understand your hesitancy with the SmugMug acquisition. I'm under the impression that Flickr is likely going to stay free too some extent, but you really do never know. Here is a more info (and an interesting read) on the acquisition from the CEO himself:

https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/co ... h=187436d4.

If you are looking for a storage solution, you may consider an external hard drive or something like Backblaze cloud based storage and file management system. If you are looking for a solution to embed photos in to forum posts, Flickr and Imgur are great options. If you are looking for a hybrid of the two that's free, Flickr is one of the better solutions. SmugMug is more-so targeted at photographers who host galleries for clients to download and print from. From what I understand, that's really not what you're looking for. If I were in your shoes, I'd invest in some sort of external hard drive or cloud based drive, cherry pick the photos you want to upload for a particular post, then upload those to Flickr. In a perfect world, our favorite fly fishing websites like this would have their own hosting/image upload system...but sadly most do not. It's kind of a crap-shoot wether or not the hosts will be around in 10 years. At least with an external back-up, you will always have your original photos in a safe place and can upload them again if one of the hosts was to disappear or go down.

DISCLAIMER: This may be long winded. I'm a full time photographer and deal with this every single day. File management and back up is critical for the work I do. I DO INDEED use hosting solutions like SmugMug, Pixieset, etc. to deliver galleries to clients. However, all of my work is also cataloged on external hard drives and in the cloud for redundancy in case something did crash. From there, I can publish directly to my own website via my own hosting, or if I want to post on a forum like FFR, I can easily cherry pick the photo(s) I want, upload to Flickr, and easily get an embed link.

Hope this helps!
-Chase

Post 06 Jun 2018, 19:57 • #8 
Master Guide
+1 tapatalk

Post 06 Jun 2018, 21:23 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Chase,

I appreciate your input. My current problem is I have photos in a mixture of places.

1) my computer
2) backup of my computer
3) original sd cards for camera, it's cheaper to just save the sd card off (I don't shoot that much and don't need CF cards for most of my cameras). For phone pictures, they are on Google.

Organization is a challenge. However, when I do take time to edit photos and upload them for a forum post, I would like them to stay available. I may just use my Flickr account for now.

What I really need to do is go through and organize everything, but who has the time for that. I would rather spend time fishing, building rods, or even taking pictures.

Post 07 Jun 2018, 06:59 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Carl I also use Imgur and it works well.

Bob

New Topic Add Reply