It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:03

New Topic Add Reply
Lamiglas 7'6" Restomod
Post 17 Jun 2017, 11:39 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Just finished this Lamiglas "Restomod" for a board member,the rod was originally build by a home builder,the rod had some issues to put it kindly.The project started as a ferrule repair that blossomed into a complete remake.The rod was stripped down to the blank,the ferrule was repaired,the old flaking clear coat was removed,a ferrule support ring was made.From there the Custom Crafted Rod shown was made.Hope it passes muster.
Tight Lines And Classic Re-Imagined Fiberglass Loops
Andy M ;)

Post 17 Jun 2017, 14:37 • #2 
Master Guide
That looks lovely Andy.

Post 17 Jun 2017, 19:54 • #3 
Guide
Very nice Andy! I think doing a rebuild is much harder than working with a fresh blank.You did it right where I wouldn't have known it was a rebuild if you didn't say it was.

Post 17 Jun 2017, 21:26 • #4 
Master Guide
Andy

A job well done !

Love the grip and Cummings style end cap perfect.

Post 18 Jun 2017, 08:59 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks for your kindness !
Yes allot of work went into getting this blank to a good foundation on which to work from.
I'd rather work off a Virgin Blank any day,however with Virgin Classic Glass Blanks becoming harder to find,one must also consider many of the Classic Blanks that do come up have flaws, blemishes,or are of questionable origin,often the only option is to find a older well used rod in salvageable rebuild-able condition.
In some cases that can be a roll of the dice,such is life.

Unfortunately these pictures really don't begin to give this piece justice,the sky was overcast with pictures taken between rain drops,The tipping can hardly be seen,the little nuances that are meant to show up in the sun are obscured.
When the Owner gets the rod out on a Sunny Day he'll be very happy with how it turned out in terms of the look I have no doubt.
When he gets the rod lined up and catches his first trout he will have a whole new appreciation for the rod no doubt.

You should like the grip it's actually the grip I designed to fit your hand J "The Bristol",it seems you and Myfly have more in common than a passion for collecting Nancy Drew books :lol

If you want to learn more about this rod "The Russtomod" in process you can visit this topic to learn morehttps://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38734

Tight Lines And Russtomod Loops
Andy M

Post 18 Jun 2017, 10:48 • #6 
Guide
Love it!

Post 18 Jun 2017, 13:12 • #7 
Master Guide
Damn my love for all thins Nancy Drew has been exposed !!

Post 19 Jun 2017, 11:04 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful!

Post 20 Jun 2017, 04:35 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Classic all the way!

Post 20 Jun 2017, 07:55 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Well, proving that on a rare occasion the errors of history can be set right, that is the way it was supposed to be done the first time! Thanks for showing. I was more of a Tom Swift guy, but I get it about the classic beauty of an "old school" fly rod like the Lami Nancy Drew model.

Post 20 Jun 2017, 09:35 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
i remember russ showing me that lami at the deerfield last month. what a transformation. a classic beauty. were carolyn keene a fiberglass fly roddder she'd dig it.

Post 20 Jun 2017, 14:21 • #12 
Guide
Quote:
I was more of a Tom Swift guy, but I get it about the classic beauty of an "old school" fly rod like the Lami Nancy Drew model.

:lol :lol :lol

Yeah, this Lami puts my Encyclopedia Brown builds to shame...

Post 21 Jun 2017, 14:05 • #13 
Sport
Looks fantastic Andy. Way to go.

Post 21 Jun 2017, 19:00 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Thanks I'm glad you like the way the rod turned out.
As PP52 mentioned it's a good transformation from a so so rod with issues into something more special.

No doubt the rods more of a looker,however the proof is in the pudding as they say.
The key changes weren't cosmetic, more in tune with the rods overall performance.

The guide relocation to a more stable/accurate plane in relation to the blanks spine,an additional guide,a stripping guide upgrade,guide size adjustments,guide spacing change,getting rid of a good bit of weight by changing from an aluminum with maple insert to a cork reel seat,adjusting the rods balance points.

In casting the rod before and after the tune up,the important transformation was going from a sloppy rod you needed to pay attention to in order to get a decent loop to a sharp rod you don't have to think about at all,just magical. ;)

Lets see I can only imagine Encyclopedia Brown would probably make a fishing rod with some sort of survival,or secret code compartment,or walkie talkie built in,you know Dick Tracy kinda stuff.

Tight Lines And Dare To Imagine Loops
Andy M

Post 22 Jun 2017, 09:45 • #15 
Master Guide
Nice looking rod, love those spiral wraps :) your rod testing lab is awesome,, ha ha
wonder how many rods were tested and approved on "the dock" over the years
;)
Cheers
Mike

Post 22 Jun 2017, 18:38 • #16 
Master Guide
One of the best rods I own! I like it best with 4 wt line. Vince Cummings would love the grip and reel seat too. Incredible job Andy!

Growing up I was always a fan of the Hardy Boys in case anybody is wondering :)

Post 22 Jun 2017, 21:07 • #17 
Master Guide
Russ glad you like the rod

New Topic Add Reply