It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:45

New Topic Add Reply
FH Paddock 8'3"-#6-3pc.
Post 31 May 2017, 17:56 • #1 
Master Guide
Here's the new look... This one is my personal rod that I will bring to events as a demo and to fish. I am currently finishing up all the all models, so I will have more photos as they get completed.
The reel seat hardware and winding check is made by me, it's nickel silver bar stock. I make the hardware "free hand" on the lathe, but each model rod has hardware proportioned to each rod. This wood insert is koa, made in the shop. I have some other woods, karelian birch and black walnut. For my own rods, I have used 1/4" cork rings... the rods that will be going out of the shop will have a higher grade 1/2" flor rings. I'll be making my own rod bags and the rods will be in a high quality brass capped tube with my label. The natural gray agate stripping guide will be proportioned to each model as well.
The 8'3"-#6 is a sweet casting rod, it's received some very positive feedback, as have all the tapers. I have been very pleased with the results of all five tapers. Each one was developed one by one and each one has their feel for their intended use. The 836 is a nice blend of finesse and power, it's just a super pleasant rod to cast and fish.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post 31 May 2017, 18:31 • #2 
Guide
Just beautiful Fred!
-Steve

Post 31 May 2017, 19:36 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
What a classic look.

Post 31 May 2017, 20:06 • #4 
Master Guide
Looks fantastic Fred. Love the gray agate.

Post 31 May 2017, 21:12 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Just perfect Fred. Love all you custom touches

Post 31 May 2017, 21:31 • #6 
Master Guide
What will they retail for ?

Post 01 Jun 2017, 01:48 • #7 
Master Guide
Hi Fred,

More than beauty, just perfect.
Hardware is super.

Nico

Post 01 Jun 2017, 05:57 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice!

Post 01 Jun 2017, 06:35 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Looks awesome!

Post 01 Jun 2017, 07:37 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
so pretty, with a no-nonsense look. the bar is raised again. btw unlike many, i love fishing a six weight! and my favorite blank color too. built on mcfarland glass?

Post 01 Jun 2017, 10:59 • #11 
Master Guide
picketpin52 wrote:
so pretty, with a no-nonsense look. the bar is raised again. btw unlike many, i love fishing a six weight! and my favorite blank color too. built on mcfarland glass?

Yes, Mike McFarland is rolling the blanks. The tapers were developed by me. Mike and I spent a year working out the details. We were able to speak the same language and the results have spoken for themselves. The first cast and you'll know you have found something special.
As for pricing, I will be sorting that out with my dealer... and then announce. There's a lot more time into the rods, and the materials used are expensive. The rods won't be cheap, but I aim to provide this level of workmanship and materials at a competitive price point.

Post 01 Jun 2017, 11:28 • #12 
Master Guide
Nice, style and class in that build.

Post 01 Jun 2017, 15:22 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I'm curious, can someone who has cast, or fished the rods built on these glass (?) blanks offer insight as to which other blanks/rods they might compare, and/or are similar?

Post 01 Jun 2017, 23:19 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I can't tell you what it's like, but it is not slow.

It is a 6 wt that has a nice but significant swing weight. It is similar to other general purpose rods of Fred's. I have a Lemondrop 4wt which can cast a 5wt well but fishes a 4wt well. I have a butterscotch (or is it brown) 4wt that is what Fred would call a "Wrister" which is for close in fishing for tight quarters East Coast streams. I will let Fred describe what water he would fish the 6wt on, but I would guess the Au Sable and Delaware. Bigger water, bigger flies and bigger fish.

In my opinion, Fred's rods aren't meant to be lawn cast but fished. They perform great on the water.

Post 02 Jun 2017, 04:56 • #15 
Master Guide
picketpin52 wrote:
I'm curious, can someone who has cast, or fished the rods built on these glass (?) blanks offer insight as to which other blanks/rods they might compare, and/or are similar?

Well, if my rods cast like someone's else rod... Why would I go through all the trouble of developing my own tapers? As Carl stated, the 836 has some "nice swing weight". This is balanced throughout the taper. Phillipson rods have that slightly heavier wall too, it helps with the taper's recovery and loading in close. Everything from the type of fiberglass, ferrules, etc., have been thought of. The 836 is a medium action in flex profile, but it's not a noodle. Progressive in nature, but not cookie cut progressive. The complex taper allows the rod to cast in close, yet reach out to respectable fishing distances. They are "fish poles", not just another pretty stick. I intended the 836 to be a standard trout rod for slightly bigger water. It would serve well on the Beaverkill, East and West Branch Delaware, Housatonic, etc. It can fish smaller water like Mossy Creek (large brown trout in a spring creek) too. The 836 does have a 4.5 tip top, that transition, in the right spot. I started with a Dickerson 8014 as a rod that I would like the 836 to be like, after changes to the taper during develop... I feel we have surpassed that. To explain the feel of one of my new tapers is easy... you "connect" to the rod on the first cast. Good loops and the line does what you are asking it to, you forget about the action and what it's like (slow, fast, parabolic, semi-parabloic, dry fly, and all that other stuff!!!) and you concentrate on the fish you're casting to.

Post 02 Jun 2017, 07:30 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Fred, thanks for commenting.

I prefer a heavier swing weight in a fishing rod, so I like that you dialed that into the design. Truth is I am not familiar with Dickerson 8014 and I know squat about taper design. The thing that strikes me though, is the 4.5 tip. On a rod of this length and line weight I would have expected more like a 5.5 or so tip. Maybe just me showing my ignorance of tapers...

Sounds like a very versatile rod and I hope to someday give one a try.

Post 02 Jun 2017, 16:15 • #17 
Master Guide
picketpin52 wrote:

Sounds like a very versatile rod and I hope to someday give one a try.

I will have all the models at Michiglass in the next couple weeks... I know your in NY, actually where I was from... hope to get out that way sooner or later. The NE glass event cancelled this year. Hope to get out that way though.

Post 05 Jun 2017, 01:07 • #18 
Master Guide
Excellent job man... I like your hardware so much !

Paolo

Post 10 Jun 2017, 13:26 • #19 
Master Guide
I like your approach as far as tapers go. Initially when I cast your rods last year here in Michigan I fell for your 8' 5 weight and bought two blanks, but in the yellow glass. After selling both rods (one was supposed to be for myself) I had to order one more to replace the one I sold and I built this one up with a stacked leather handle. It turned out just as I wanted. If I had to pick another builders tastes other than my own style it would be Fred's. Classical approach, somewhat understated in cosmetics, lacking anything garish, and balanced overall. BRAVO !!!
Mark.

Re: FH Paddock 8'3
Post 10 Jun 2017, 14:21 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I cast all of Fred's signed series last year and fell for the 7'0" 5 wt 2pc immediately and bought one. It is easy to figure out what all his rods want to do very quickly. One reason is because each one is very close to rated line weight. So many rods aren't. Even the good designers call it close enough at half a line weight away. Fred's tapers are spot on. I know because I also tried some of them with half weights up and down and in all of those cases, the rods were closer to the rated weight than the half weights. Also Fred's new rods just work the way you want them too. You get the feel right away like you've used them before. The rods also cast up close with a foot of line out and out to about as far as you can cast because they still feel like there is something left in them when your casting breaks down. There may be individual rods from different craftsmen that are as good as one of Fred's rods. There may even be one you might even prefer over one of Fred's rods but ALL of Fred's new signed series rods are keepers. If you were to have a fiberglass fly rod shootout in each weight and length configuration that Fred offers, his rod would come out in the top three every time and he'd get votes for first from somebody every time. For instance, his 7'0" 5wt is the best 7ft 5wt I've ever put in my hands, but I still prefer my 8'0" 4/5 3pc. Steffen over his 8'0" 5wt (but not by much). The point is this. You can just buy the length and line weight of a Paddock signed series that you want, and I mean any one of them, and you won't be disappointed. The only thing I don't like about my Paddock 7'0" 5wt 2pc is that it's white. It should be brown dammit! And to add to the anguish, he's now come out with a nice yellow color. I think he did it to spite me. Ah well, maybe someone that loves white will trade with me.

Post 10 Jun 2017, 15:57 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
but ALL of Fred's new signed series rods are keepers.

Good to hear. Slightly off topic, but I just acquired one of Fred's closeout blanks, the Signature 8'6" 7wt. Had been eyeing his blanks for a while, thinking more of the #6, but then he announced that he wouldn't be offering blanks any more. Darn! I thought, and figured I'd missed my opportunity. My budget was tapped due to reel purchases and a couple of blanks from Steffen Bros. So, I didn't pull the trigger. Then, as luck would have it, he posted notice that he still had a few left, no 6s but some #7s, and I made entreaty to my wife. Thanks to her, I now have a beautiful, white (everyone needs at least one) Paddock blank in my build queue. I was going to get a 7wt at some point anyhow...

As long as I'm off on a tangent, might as well shoot for escape velocity. I plan to fish this one mainly with a Cortland DT7 Peach. Any suggestions as to reel for the Paddock?

Post 10 Jun 2017, 17:05 • #22 
Master Guide
As long as I'm off on a tangent, might as well shoot for escape velocity. I plan to fish this one mainly with a Cortland DT7 Peach. Any suggestions as to reel for the Paddock?

I use a Pflueger Medalist 1494 (pre-war with drag plate) for the 867-3, but I use a WF-7-F line. A DT-7-F may require a little more capacity...

Post 10 Jun 2017, 18:13 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you, sir! I'm definitely going to want some backing, 75-100 yds should do.

New Topic Add Reply