It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:28

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 17 Feb 2017, 11:15 • #26 
Master Guide
I just wanted to thank everyone for the kind words on the rods, both the aesthetics and performance (those who have cast them). Here's a description of each model in the "signed" series. It's not a sales pitch, just trying to give an accurate description for anyone who is, or may become, interested the the series.
The 705-2 is a medium to medium-fast in flex profile. (I use flex profile as an amount of bend in the taper under load.) The 705 has a fine tip followed by a complex taper to the butt. The butt "locks up" above the grip. (another meaning for the action stays above the casting hand). This allows the 705 to load in close, where most of our mountain stream fishing occurs. The 705 feels light in hand because of its balance on where the material is in the taper. The 705 is very accurate with precise loop control, this is achieved by giving the caster input from the rod... it's in the taper. The 705 is a true 5wt for its intended use of small streams. For pure dry flies, I like the Wulff Triangle Taper (TT-5-F), it has a fine front taper that gives a nice presentation. The 705 loads the TT5F in close, which is not always the case for many rods. I have also used a lot of other lines with good results, I will admit that I favor SA or SA made lines.
The 794-3 is my light line rod... It's is medium in flex profile. The fine tip with a thought out taper all the way to the butt... delivers a smooth line with great accuracy. A true four weight. I know some guys have compared the "signed" series to bamboo feel... there's a sense of that feel because I have studied bamboo tapers and have taken a little of their attributes for crossing into fiberglass. The Wulff TT-4-F is a good dry fly line for this rod, but I also like a lot of the standard SA tapers with the rod. The feel of the 794 hard to describe, in that it casts where you want it without effort.
The 805-3 is the standard size and weight for most... I designed this rod to have a little more versatility than the lighter and more specific 705 and 794. The flex profile in medium, with a slighter stronger yet still shock free recovery. On the water, the rod is magic. It's accurate, drops a fly where you want it, and just fished great. I know more than a few who have sold all or most of their other 805's after buying the 805-3 "signed" series. The 805 is a "fish pole" that can handle a days worth of diverse fishing. I use a Sage Performance Taper WF-5-F for this rod, the SA made version (Kathy Beck on the box cover)... the new SA Mastery Trout is similar.
The 836-3... the six weight was always the standard trout rod many years ago. The 836 is a rod that has the perfect blend of finesse and power. You can fish the rod close and far, it delivers. The medium flex profile and smooth recovery develops perfect loops. The taper allows the rod to do the work, the balance of the taper doesn't tire you out. Everyone who has cast this rod, quickly turned back to me (with a smile on their face) and has given the rod praise. I use a Sage Performance Taper WF-6-F (SA made version) on this rod too. The 836 has cast every line I have put on it well.
The 867-3... I always like casting the Payne Canadian Canoe, and wanted to make a fiberglass rod to have that similar feel. The medium flex profile, full bodied feel that keeps casting line. It's still a trout rod, the 867 loves a smooth casting stroke and really sings out some line with precision and delicacy. The Wulff Triangle Taper
TT-7-F is a good choice for longer cast and delicate presentation. Yes, delicate presentation... like spring creeks. I also like the Sage Performance Taper WF-7-F on this rod for general purpose too. The taper seems to like a bunch of lines too.
Each of these rods were designed one at a time, for their own individual feel and traits. The focus was to get the tapers and fish-ability correct... the aesthetics were secondary. The "signed" series, I feel, are my best efforts to date. I credit that to working with Mike McFarland on this series. Mike understood what I was looking for and we were able to get that input in this series. I was able to give my input to how and where to make changes, and Mike was able to put those changes into the blanks. We were able to do that because Mike and myself has cast and studied a diverse range of fly rods in fiberglass, bamboo, and carbon... are mental notes (in ours heads) of what we like and why... was able to get put into a fiberglass fly rod. Hopefully, that gives everyone a little more information about the "signed" series. There's more to come...

Post 19 Feb 2017, 15:49 • #27 
Master Guide
Lawn casting each of these rods last year was a joy as the tapers were well developed and each rod was created with a specific action in mind. Fishing the 836 shown below is a pleasure. Imagine fishing the other models would bring similar praise.

The finish work on Fred's signature rods is quite nice with the addition of a high quality tube it is a great outfit. It is also worth noting he is a great fellow to work with on a rod or blank order.

Post 19 Feb 2017, 21:05 • #28 
Guide
That 5 pc lemon drop looks amazing.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply