It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:39

New Topic Add Reply
Epic 686 - So Blue
Post 05 Feb 2017, 22:28 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I just finished my second build with an Epic Ready to Wrap Kit. I added a a winding check and metallic silver trim wraps, and both turned out nicely in my opinion.

Everything turned out much better than my first build, and I have only thing I wish I could change--the stripping guide is slightly out of alignment with the rest, canting a few degrees toward my line hand (which won't affect performance, but just bugs me). The sad thing is that I triple-checked this, and must have just bumped the guide without realizing it before starting epoxy. Oh well--lesson learned.

Here are the pictures:

Re: Epic 686 - So Blue
Post 06 Feb 2017, 00:25 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like the aesthetics and very clean especially considering your second build. Well done.

Post 06 Feb 2017, 08:39 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Fantastic job! You're gonna love the 686!

Post 06 Feb 2017, 11:36 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice! I try not to fret about my misaligned guides, and would encourage you to forget about them too. You didn't bump your stripping guide; the gremlins got to it:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57834&p=278815&hilit=gremlins#p278815

I think the slight cant towards your stripping hand might turn out to be a functional advantage.

Post 06 Feb 2017, 11:51 • #5 
Guide
Very clean looks.

Post 06 Feb 2017, 14:00 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome job! Looks great!

Post 06 Feb 2017, 22:53 • #7 
Master Guide
Nice build. I agree with Horsehead!
I love my 686 and I hope you enjoy yours!

Post 07 Feb 2017, 08:30 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks all for the kind words. There are some excellent builders on here, and I spent a lot of time looking through photos to get an idea of what I wanted. I'm grateful to have the chance to learn something more, and stepping up to the trim wraps was a fun exercise for sure. When I first started them, I could barely keep them together without unraveling--I must have done a dozen tries for one wrap early on. Now, it's just smooth, quick, and finished in just one go.

Now, I need to stop dreaming of another build and get out to fish this thing. We've had a harder winter than usual (or a return to normal winter, depending on how you look at it), so the snow in the yard is several feet deep and the rivers have some serious shelf ice. Maybe soon, though, east of the divide.

Post 07 Feb 2017, 09:12 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
looks good to me

Bob

Post 07 Feb 2017, 11:15 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks all for the kind words. There are some excellent builders on here, and I spent a lot of time looking through photos to get an idea of what I wanted. I'm grateful to have the chance to learn something more, and stepping up to the trim wraps was a fun exercise for sure. When I first started them, I could barely keep them together without unraveling--I must have done a dozen tries for one wrap early on. Now, it's just smooth, quick, and finished in just one go.

You've discovered the 'joys' of working with metallic trim thread! To tame them, wrap them into place, them put color preserver on them before you try and cut the tag ends. Afeter about 15 minutes, you can cut the ends and not lose the trim wrap. The CP seems to relax the springy metallic and tack it down a bit.

Post 07 Feb 2017, 13:03 • #11 
Guide
A great second build and with very clear (white silk) wraps to judge from the pics!

I wish Epic would remove "Fastglass" from the badge one day. Absolutely not necessary telling this. Reminds me on the frames of my Shimano equipped bikes during the 1970s to 1980s.

Saying that does not diminish the quality of the material or build, both is great!

Post 07 Feb 2017, 18:03 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Tomah wrote:
You've discovered the 'joys' of working with metallic trim thread! To tame them, wrap them into place, them put color preserver on them before you try and cut the tag ends. Afeter about 15 minutes, you can cut the ends and not lose the trim wrap. The CP seems to relax the springy metallic and tack it down a bit.

Now that I've gotten the technique down, I don't have any trouble trimming the tags and having the wraps stay. I think I've figured out the proper amount of tension needed through lots of trial and error.

Plus, I assume the CP would mess with the transparent look of the wraps, which I wanted to preserve.

Quote:
I wish Epic would remove "Fastglass" from the badge one day.

Agreed. I built a 476 before they started adding this to their blanks, and I definitely prefer it. Plus, it's lined up with the Epic logo in a way that looks a little off to me. No biggie, but I'd prefer it be gone too.

New Topic Add Reply