It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:18

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Winston Glass
Post 21 Dec 2014, 16:54 • #1 
Guide
I have acquired a few Winston glass rods over the years... these range through most of my needs here in PA and all are used (though the 7'6" saw the most time last year)...

Fantastic rods and a joy to fish and learn about... I've always had a soft spot for Winston glass, bamboo, and early graphite. Also fun is that 2 of the 3 have been checked over by Mr. Morgan and he kindly provided a nice history lesson to compliment the rods.

top to bottom: 8' 5wt (SF/MT transitional), 7'6" 5wt. (SF), 6'6" 3wt. (SF/MT Transitional)

not enough nice pics of these floating around so adding a few to the record...

Re: Winston Glass
Post 21 Dec 2014, 17:10 • #2 
Master Guide
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.
I love that green and yellow vintage Winston sticker. Very cool!

Post 21 Dec 2014, 17:47 • #3 
Master Guide
Such a great trio! I'm happy for you.
I'd like to see those beauties in action: Henrys Fork, Armstrong's, Nelson's, DePuys.
I definitely realised I was born on the wrong side of the Big Pond.....

Post 21 Dec 2014, 17:49 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Matt,
That is a nice Winston collection you have. It's three more than I have. Thanks for sharing.

Post 21 Dec 2014, 18:09 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Wonderful photos of wonderful rods.

Post 21 Dec 2014, 20:54 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Those are awesome. Very jealous

Post 22 Dec 2014, 18:15 • #7 
Guide
OK, that gets my vote for coolest photo of the year.

Post 22 Dec 2014, 18:44 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
tuolumne03 wrote:
OK, that gets my vote for coolest photo of the year.

+1. You see a lot of cool rod pics on this site but this takes the cake.

Post 23 Dec 2014, 09:14 • #9 
Guide
Thanks for sharing these photos. I'm not sure what it is, but I think old Winston rods are hyper-elegant. Great to see these three together.

Post 23 Dec 2014, 09:37 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Those are indeed very special rods, Fred.
Thanks for posting the pics.

Post 23 Dec 2014, 09:56 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Excellent!

Post 23 Dec 2014, 13:44 • #12 
Master Guide
What is even cooler is all the 'mojo' left on the cork handles! Obviously these rods have been joyfully used rather than merely pristine collectors. Love that level of loyalty to brand and respect for the builders. Rods should be fished rather than just marveled at!

Post 23 Dec 2014, 14:49 • #13 
Master Guide
Very nice! I agree that older winston glass rods are a joy to fish.

Post 23 Dec 2014, 16:01 • #14 
Master Guide
I have been looking for one of these for a while. Twice now I had to let them go for not knowing enough about them.

How can one be so sure of a true Winston Stalker?

Post 23 Dec 2014, 17:08 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Myfly,
Winston Stalkers were built in 2wt, 3wt, and 4wt - 6'6" t0 8'. Not all are marked as a "Stalker" but they were the light line series Winston produced. Check Whirlpool's post in rod papers and the Winston catalog.
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 23 Dec 2014, 17:09 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Search and study photos here, particularly noting the reel seats used, the wrap style, the color of the 'glass and the spigot and so on. Also, check the catalog posted in "rod papers," (in the collecting section) noting that not all Winston fiberglass are "Stalkers." These, made from Fisher-supplied blanks like the rest of Winston 'glass, were a light line series of rods. Although the term does get applied to any Winston 'glass, they were only part of the line-up. The ones shown are from the "trout" series. Two of the tubes use the same artwork that was included in the late 1970s award winning catalog. The top rod (or its tube, at least), is earlier, but still on a fine Fisher-supplied blank. Hookjaw (Matt ?) can tell us how true to color the photos appear, but even that varies by computer monitor and settings. The Winston blanks were reddish brown; Fisher blanks in general were brown with less red-tone, and I think some of the earlier Winstons were in the stock Fisher color.

I, too, love seeing them as well cared for rods that have been fished. That trio is so sweet no one would mind a bit if another pic or two were posted to the "Rule of Threes" thread, which is always fun when a new post makes it reappear. Thanks for showing.

Post 23 Dec 2014, 18:55 • #17 
Master Guide
rvreclus wrote:
Myfly,
Winston Stalkers were built in 2wt, 3wt, and 4wt - 6'6" t0 8'. Not all are marked as a "Stalker" but they were the light line series Winston produced. Check Whirlpool's post in rod papers and the Winston catalog.
Respectfully rvreclus

Thanks rvreclus, yes I did see Whirlpool's post in the rod papers a while back. Great catalog information but I still thought I needed to see many more pictures or hold one in hand before I make a purchase.

I also had a collector friend once say watch out for the kit rods which are just like the Factory ones and that some buyers are often misled. I do not think I have ever come across a Winston Stalker kit rod. Any truth to this?

Post 23 Dec 2014, 19:04 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Sure. Someone could build a Winston kit rod to be virtually identical to the factory rod in almost every detail. It would be a fine rod, too, but shouldn't command the price of the shop rod, and of course the quality of craft might not be as good. Still, a Winston kit rod could be a good buy. It would fish like a Winston but not have the collector value.

In this photo of a photo, the rod on the right is a shop Winston (they did offer options as to grip and reel seat, so not all will look like that). Folks will recognize the center rod as Fisher green Winston graphite, and of course the left rod as bamboo.

Post 23 Dec 2014, 22:40 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Myfly,
If you are interested in a factory Winston Stalker they are easily identified by the trophy cup logo and/or the factory Montana logo on the blank. Winston did not put a company logo on any kit rods that I know of and I have kit rods from the early 70's through the early 80's that I built up. The rods from these kits were supplied with all the current Winston components. I believe the logo is the only way to truly identify the rod as a Stalker with the given the length and line weight designation as found in the catalogs.
Not all Stalkers where marked as such. Be wary when some one describes a home build as a "Stalker" as many Winston blanks are"mis-marketed" as a Stalker. Just because a blank is 8' or shorter doesn't make it a Stalker. Fisher was also producing light line rods/blanks/kits in the late 70's and early 80's that are very much like the Winstons. They vary only slightly in the blank color. One used to be able to distinguish the two rod companies blanks buy the color of the spigot ferrule but Winston used brown spigots later on just like the Fishers.
Truly one has to cast the rod and determine the appropriate line weight(2wt-3wt-4wt) for the given length, not in excess of 8'. You have to know these rods are full flexing progressive action, some would say slow action rods.
I hope I have helped, maybe others will chime in with better info.
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 24 Dec 2014, 11:03 • #20 
Guide
Great discussion happening while I was finishing up some last minute shopping.

The rods I own are all Fisher rolled blanks... other than the retro blanks, I don't think Winston ever rolled glass in-house. The 7'6" (black cork check) is the oldest and the blank is the darkest brown w/ the most prominent glass weave pattern to the blank. Whrlpool is spot on w/ the tube being an earlier version. The other rods are def. later.

When buying these, do your research and learn the details. Spotting a factory rod from custom is clear as day when you get into the details. The handwriting (usually done by Tom Morgan) and labels. Use the references above for good, close-ups of the check, wraps, labels, etc... also, original bags should be red and tubes will have either the yellow/green label above (early), a trophy cup label (SF), or the oval MT label pictured in my shots.

A true "stalker" was cataloged as such and must fit into a certain time-frame/weight designation. 3 and 4wt. rods under 8'

My 6'6" 3wt. was the recipient of some fabulous discussion on this site as well:

Duff's 6'6" "Stalker" https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15321

I emailed Mr. Morgan about the 7'6" prior to purchase... here was his response. Note the part about the "light 5" which I agree with... it can do a 4 nicely as well.

Hello Matt,

I'm sure that it is a San Francisco Winston fiberglass made shortly after I bought Winston in 1973. Probably 1974-75. In it is a bag I had made at Gary Howells's suggestion with the top seam on the bag outside so the rod would be easier to get out. It also has my writing on it for length and line size. In the beginning we used whatever decals were around for the tubes. Typically that decal should have only been used on the bamboo rods. Soon after I designed a special decal for the tubes for the fiberglass. There were what we called light 5-weight blanks that were only good for rods 7 1/2' or under.

The blanks were made by the J. K. Fisher Company for Winston.

Hope this helps,
Tom

I don't have much info on the 8' 5wt. but do know it is not a "Stalker" (though some incorrectly use this phrase w/ this size rod)... it's also light in hand and one of the best 5wts i've ever touched. It's also the "newest" of my trio b/c is has the length/mass in metric which Winston started in the early 80s(?) i believe.

Here's a compilation of many resources out there to find info on the Stalkers and Winstons in general.

Key Taccata's Winston Stalker w/ catalog reference http://blog.livedoor.jp/keytaccata/archives/50551858.html

Key Taccata's Winston SF Stalker http://blog.livedoor.jp/keytaccata/archives/50372104.html

Key Taccata's Winston SF/MT Comparison http://blog.livedoor.jp/keytaccata/archives/50387745.html

Morgan Fiberglass History https://www.troutrods.com/fiberglass-rod-history.html

Lastly, 1.5min of Winston glass bliss... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQQ4LywnYQ

My 7'6" and a local participant in the fun this sport affords us:

Any more information (clarification or corrections) or photos of rods are welcomed to be added... would love to see this thread grow into a discussion and display of all Winston glass, not just these 3 rods!

Post 24 Dec 2014, 11:58 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Hookjaw! I was hoping the same thing.

Post 24 Dec 2014, 15:04 • #22 
Master Guide
Hookjaw, Great rods and information. Shown below is a photo of a very early Winston glass rod I was able to cast a couple of summers ago. The blank was more of a copper brown than the rods in your fine collection.

Post 26 Dec 2014, 13:51 • #23 
Guide
Interesting color... Do you remember the specs of the rod? Would love to see pics of the whole thing... Perhaps an early rod (pre fisher?)

Post 26 Dec 2014, 15:55 • #24 
Master Guide
I have two Winston Glass Rods
One is a 7'6" 4 wt three piece Retro with a extremely low serial number 013
The next one is a 7' 3 wt Retro three piece rod.
I do have some good pics of the 4 wt. I'll post them now and post pics of the three weight later
RodImage

Post 26 Dec 2014, 18:51 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
I keep coming back every few days to look at this magnificant trio of Winstons.

p.s. I fish in PA a lot. You'd better keep a sharp eye on your rods when you lean them up againt a tree on a fishing break :)

Pecos

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply