It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:16

New Topic Add Reply
Conolon Live Fiber F87
Post 26 Nov 2014, 07:48 • #1 
Sport
Stripped this one down to the bare blank and added all new components. Only thing I saved was the winding check. Conolon sure made some great blanks - action is really nice.

Post 26 Nov 2014, 09:49 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like it!

Post 26 Nov 2014, 14:56 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
wow, well done!

Post 26 Nov 2014, 16:07 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Very nicely done, and yes, those are some very nice blanks.

Did you put on new cork or just sand down the existing cork? It looks nice.

Post 26 Nov 2014, 23:22 • #5 
Guide
Very nice poppers also, do you make them as well as refurbish the rods?

Post 27 Nov 2014, 06:07 • #6 
Master Guide
I also like what you did with this rebuild. Cool colors and nice touch to save the vintage label.

Wondering about your sanding down or stripping the rod. If you would not mind, please share your technique other than removing the guides.

Post 27 Nov 2014, 13:55 • #7 
Sport
Happy Thanksgiving and Thank you for all the kind words.

Yes, new cork grip. I most always replace the grip in my rebuilds.

Yes, I tie flies and recondition rods. I've been tying for almost 20yrs and got into rod building about 3-4 years ago. The popper pictured was shaped from 1/2" balsa stock and hand painted by me.

For the refinish jobs:
1.) I always start by making some notes and sometimes taking a few pictures
2.) Blank is then stripped of guides and thread
3.) Use heat gun to remove ferrules and reel seat, however if the reel seat is plastic I usually cut off with a carpenters knife. Most of the rods I buy are in rough shape and ferrules are most always shot.
4.) Use citrus stripper and 4/0 steel wool to remove paint, dirt, old varnish, etc
5.) Light sanding if needed
6.) Coat blank with 1-3 coats of Spar (depends on what the rod needs). I use a foam brush to apply the Spar.
7.) In regards to labels and decals its a judgement call when the citrus skipper is applied. Basically if there is enough labels that would still look good the I mask it off and save it. This particular rod had most of the label and in my opinion was worth saving. I also saved the original winding check... Sometimes other components like the reel seat can be saved too.

From there I have a new blank and can essentially build a new rod. I have an olive colored Fish Master 8'6" 9wt that I'll work on over holidays and hope to document a better post to share with all. Should be a good looking rod once done.

Post 27 Nov 2014, 21:59 • #8 
Master Guide
Appreciate you sharing your process. I have also used Citrus Strip once in the past on stripping a vintage fly rod and it is a decent product for this application.

Post 28 Nov 2014, 09:04 • #9 
Sport
Citrus strip is great. I recently had a blank that was covered in a couple nasty coats of paint. I read that you can coat the blank and then wrap in aluminum foil. I did and it turned out great. About 20-30 minutes in the foil.

Post 28 Nov 2014, 10:04 • #10 
Master Guide
It came out great and I really like the blue wraps. Tell me, though, does the F87 mean 8' and a 7wt? Jim

Post 28 Nov 2014, 14:19 • #11 
Sport
I researched that same question and I could not find an answer. My guess is that its a 7wt.

Post 28 Nov 2014, 16:36 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I think that rod is from before the numerical line weight codes were established in the early 1960s, in which case that number doesn't indicate line weight and probably has something to do with a serial production sequence or year. Nevertheless, it probably is about a 7 weight (I bet the tip is 5 1/2 or even 6). Eight foot for seven line is a great 'glass configuration, especially in older 'glass rods. It is right in the material's wheelhouse, and while some are better than others, it was hard to make a bad one, so it may fish even better than it looks.

New Topic Add Reply