It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:12

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 17 Mar 2008, 06:49 • #1 
Guide
Phillipson Royal 6 foot. I picked this up from a retired Forrest service employee. He had some great stories to go with it. A lot of power for such a little rod. It says a 6 weight, but I have found a 4 or even a 3 casts wonderful with it. I am interested to hear if any one has cast this model and what line you liked. The 6 just seemed way to heavy. Honestly I am a little afraid to tax this beauty. Baby it or fish it?

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 17 Mar 2008, 07:50 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Thats a sweet little rod! I would love to fish that. I am sure you could put a six on it without harming the rod but probably better with a 5wt.

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 17 Mar 2008, 13:09 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Barck,
Super little rod, Ive got just about all the royal and royal Eponite models, does yours have the late tip over butt glass ferrule like all the salmon finished Royals or the nickle silver ferrule of the Delux and Early Swamp Fox models? Usually the Salmon paint, at least as far as the ones Ive seen and have denotes the post Johnson Profile series using the 3M uniglass blanks, (same as the Johnson Profile series), but show up with both external metal and the Bill Phillipson tip over butt glass ferrules. Very very collectable, I don't think that model was available for more than a year or so and yours is a very desirable length and line weight in super condition. SHALL WE SAY COLLECTABLE Image
I really do like that rod.
Richard

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 17 Mar 2008, 14:28 • #4 
Guide
It has the nickle silver ferrule. Thanks Gregg

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 17 Mar 2008, 14:54 • #5 
Master Guide
Sweet ... I want one. Image

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 17 Mar 2008, 15:35 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Is the winding check nose cap painted or thread, that will pretty well date it either after Bill Phillipson bought back the company from Johnson around 1963 to the entroduction of the Delux Swamp fox with nickle steel ferrules in 1964 when I think they discontinued that model Royal on the 3M uniglass blank, which by the way makes it way collectable in that length.
Richard

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 18 Mar 2008, 12:26 • #7 
Guide
The nose cone is painted.

Thanks for all the information on this rod. Barck

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 18 Mar 2008, 19:24 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Barck, to say its pretty rare is an understatement, of the 5 dozen Phillipsons I have I don't have your model, fact is its actually the first Ive seen in detail, you could do us all a big faver and take a bunch of detailed pictures along side a tape measure, showing the exact placement of guides, ferrule etc, I dought any of us will ever see a rod like yours again. It seems Phillipson had quite a few transitional models that just seem to have slipped threw our fingers. The absense of Catalogues is of course a problem, but Im betting yours never was catalogued anyway, its just that transitional. Im guessing it was dropped when the Delux Swamp Fox with metal ferrules went into full scale production, Ive a bunch of them and aside from the Royal wraps, much more time consumming and delux, Im guessing they are the same rods. I have a 66 if you want to compare diameters. However at that point in time after Bill Phillipson reaquired the company from Johnson he was still convinced the Eponite was gonna be his premier rod, so he replaced the Royal Eponites with the Master series, and so ended the Royal and Eponite wraps which your rod sports. That its on a salmon colored 3M uniglass blank is a real find and eye opener, both from the historian standpoint and the collector standpoint, I had no idea it even existed. Yet clearly thats what it is. Thanks again for posting your rod, its outstanding, in outstanding condition and to a Phillipson lover a revelation in how the models progressed.
Richard

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 19 Mar 2008, 03:20 • #9 
Guide
Richard, More photographs will be posted soon. Thanks for all the information. But then again, now I may really be to hesitant to fish the little beauty. Barck

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 19 Mar 2008, 06:56 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I would most definately fish it, but then I fish everything I buy unless its a duplicate put away for a rod I really love just in case I bust one. Your rod is the very first of that period Ive actually seen, as far as I know it was never catalogued that way or at least no one has every said anything about a catalogue with you model and color being listed. However it fits perfectly into the same period that other rods in my collection do from right after Bill Phillipson brought the company back from Johnson and switched alot of his rods to the 3M uniglass blanks. I have Delux models with both nickle steel and glass tip over butt ferrules, also Delux Swamp fox and Swamp fox models with both. There was a period around 1963-65 that alot of similar models could be see. Makes for some interesting collecting, but yours is a real jewel of that era, if it were mine I would be fishing it with loving care. Fishing rods were made to be fished, if you have one your afraid of fishing, sell it to someone who will and buy one you will fish with, rods are not nearly as much fun to look at as to fish with.
Richard

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 19 Mar 2008, 13:52 • #11 
Emeritus
Cr@p Richard, that's a too cool rod ...

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 19 Mar 2008, 17:43 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Its a rare and a real beauty middlemac, but I would fish it and enjoy it, and if I ever see one like it for sale you know I will be in the bidders list high up unless I win it. Thats one very sharp rod.
Richard

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 20 Mar 2008, 12:57 • #13 
Guide

Richard, here are the close ups you asked for. I have them in one foot increments if you would like jpgs of them. Just let me know an email address.

I spoke with the gentleman who sold me the rod. He said the rod came from a fly shop in Colorado in the mid 70's. It was on a rack with a bunch of other Phillipsons. He said he bought it for its diminutive size. He also sold me the A&F Banty rod. A fellow Brook Trout enthusiast. Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 21 Mar 2008, 18:56 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Barck,
Well it took me awhile to get over the detailed pictures (only four snakes plus the stripper), I've spent most of the evening looking threw my shorty Phillipsons without anything comming up close. Even my little Royal Eponite P64 spinnng rod has 6 spinning guides plus the tip top, I did however find a Master, but at 7ft a spinning rod with only 5 spinning guides from about the same time period as your sweet little Royal. To be honest it appears a form of Spinning guide spacing. Nothing wrong with that, just didn't expect to see it on a fly rod so short and with such detail, even my shorty 6ft Epoxite's have five snakes, a Phillipson double loop snake and a stripping guide. Yours really is different. Thanks big time for posting those extra pictures, they are real eye openers for a Phillipson lover and collector. YOU will definately have to post if you fish it, nothing wrong with fewer guides, many builders feel the minimum number is best, some feel the maximum number and even more is best, each to his own, I sure would like your opinion though if you decide to fish it.
Richard

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 03 Mar 2010, 09:06 • #15 
Yes, I know the thread I'm replying to is two years old.

I was in my local fly shop today BS'ing at lunch time and a guy walked in with two rods he wanted to sell. One of them I bought. Its a Phillipson Royal RF60C HDH-HDG 1 7/8". It has the nickel silver ferrule, 1 strip guide, 4 snake, 1 tip top. The only difference I can see between this rod and the excellent photos above is that instead of being painted, the winding check cap appears to be an anodized brassy color that matches the butt cap/reel seat and knurled sliding ring. After I post this message I'll go back and post again if I see any other differences, if I don't post, the rest looks the same. (edit: it looks to be exactly the same as photos down to the two engraved rings around the butt ferrule. The only difference appears to be the color of the reel seat/ring/winding check cap: mine appears to be more brassy colored, less red than in the pictures. Signature wraps, unusual tip top, everything else looks identical)

I fish mostly bamboo, so Phillipson caught my eye on this. I have a shorty Young midge taper bamboo rod that I would probably fish over this one in the same length, so if any of you 'glass heads are interested in owning this rod, let me know. I mainly snatched it up because of the Philipson name, but I think someone else would probably appreciate it more than I. It has the gold tube with decal and a beige cloth bag.

Last edited by jiskra on 03 Mar 2010, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 03 Mar 2010, 09:53 • #16 
Guide
PM sent if interested in selling and still available.

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 01 Apr 2010, 14:06 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I would like to thank jrb78 and jiskra for talking and setting on that little rod until my dialup was back. I received that little rod and with a little washing of the cork grip and waxing of the rod, it turned out to be a twin of the above listed one, right down to the tube and sock. I put it together with a near minty Martin MG-3, one spool lined with a new Cortland 333 wf6f another with a near new Hardy wf6s from a recent reel purchase. Put braided loop line connectors on each line and attached some new braided furled leaders by "CF","Dan","beauglass", these are new ones, 6ft Floro Trout Taper Sinking with Kelvar thread (he was afraid they would be to heavy, IMHO they are just right!) and 6ft Nylon mono Trout taper floating (here I think a strand of of Floro would have cut the streach factor, but they worked perfectly). Both were using a floro 6# tippet. While I only got about an hour and a half with each leader and line combo on Wensday the 24th between storms, I was really impressed by this rod , reel and line combination. I managed to bring to net a nice 6# Alpers Trout with the sinking combo and a nice 6 1/2 # Alpers Trout with the floating combo. Both right in the center of a nearby town (Kernville) at our "Riverside Park" not bad for the middle of the week. This is only my Thrid venture out to fish sense the 2nd of December, weather being that bad here except for the last week. Anyway this little rod performs like a jewel with the 6wt WF lines. I will be fishing it next week and hope to get some pictures. Thanks again guys for keeping me in mind when this little rod became available, winter here knocks out my dialup about 75% of the time, this rod fishes 100% different than my7 1/2 ft Royal of the same period rated a 6wt. No dought this one could be fished with a 5wt and perhaps even a 4wt, but it is so responsive and shoots the line like a cannon with either 6wts, Im hoping to connect with one of our semi rare Kokanee Salmon. They were planted up here several years ago as a test and they seem to be multiplying, great fun!
Thanks again guys! I intend to fish this little rod alot this spring before Washout.
I must say Dan's leaders are outstanding, Ive been fishing Joni's for a couple of years and after talking to Dan about the inclusion of the Kelvar thread into the sinking leaders, they are Right on. Im not much into a streachy leader or tippet so my preference is for a strand of Floro into his floating leaders, but even with the all mono leaders I had no problem with the Big Alpers trout. Thats one of the nice things about using a 6wt rod, they do tend to bring to net a bigger fish easier than an UL. And I love to fish ULs, but we have some pretty big trout up here right now.
Richard

As a postscript I would like to add, that in the two years sense this string was started Ive managed to collect and fish perhaps two dozen or more post Johnson Profile 3M Uniglass Royals and Delux rods along with the similiar Master Models. While my preference has always been for the Eponite rods of the same specifications, honestly Ive not encountered one quite like this little Royal, not even in my short Master Series rods. This one I think was either wrapped differently than the Masters on the same mandril. Its lighter, and can handle a lighter line than the same rod in a Master. Its softer and when loaded with a 6wt far more powerful than the same length period Master. Sort of like my long 8ft Eponite 6wt Aristo Dry Fly Special taper rods from the same pre 1960 period, they are much softer than the same period Royal, Delux and Master rods, although their are very few rods to compair from the pre Johnson Profile period in 6ft and dry fly special tapers. I have just one 6ft cork grip Eponite and its definately not the same as this little rod, no more so than any of the 6ft 3M scotchply post Johnson Profile 6ft rods I have. Another oddball for sure. Sort of like the little short 5wt Fenwick 535, just not like other 5wt fenwicks, more a LL snuck into the pack. When weather improves I will try some of my lighter lines with nymphs and such, but this rod is purely a eye opener with the proscribed 6wt lines, you can single haul with ease to 55ft into the actual fly line, and with an easy double haul you can see into the backing, on my lines lets call it a cast of some 75-80ft of fly line, not including the 9ft of leader and tippet. Like having a really good 7 1/2 -8ft rod but its only 6ft. I think I will dig out my late 3m Epoxite 6ft UL 4wt with spigot ferrule and cork ring seat and cast it alongside this rod with the same reel and lines, just to see if both can be subject to the same conditions. While they are built of different processes perhaps the finished rods will react similiarly. Part of the fun of collecting and fishing Phillipsons is running into some of these hidden treasures. FF4GT

Last edited by flyfishing4goldentrout on 01 Apr 2010, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 01 Apr 2010, 20:24 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Richard, I really enjoyed your update and all the detail on the rod, outfit, and fishing. It is too good, really, making me fear a case of Phillipsonitis coming on, so I am trying not to touch one or read Ebay listings of them.

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 10 Apr 2010, 03:51 • #19 
Guide
Wonderful reports on this great little rod, I will second what Richard has reported. This is a special rod, light, compact, handles with ease, yet powerful enough to know you have the ability to end the fight and release the fish giving them the best opportunity to carry on.

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 22 Jun 2010, 06:04 • #20 
Hello! I have a Phillipson master series fiber glass rod,does any one know any thing about it. thanks bob

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 23 Jun 2010, 11:57 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Philliposn Masters are or were mid range rods, the Deluxe and Royal were the more deluxe and expensive and better finished rods. however there are several specific models such as the MF80L 5wt which are worth many times moe than a mint 8wt bass rod.
I would suggest you post a series of pictures of your rod, so that we can tell you want you have and give you a ligitiment apprasial as to its worth, the you can take it from there.

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 26 Jun 2010, 10:23 • #22 
Guide
I have a Phillipson 6' MF60C rated for a six weight line. Being a Master, of course, it isn't as fancy as a royal, but would it be from the same period as the rod that started this thread? It has green wraps. Also, will my rod really cast a 6wt.?

Last edited by Anonymous on 26 Jun 2010, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 30 Jun 2010, 18:08 • #23 
Administrator
Bob,

Welcome to the Fiberglass Flyrodders! If you could tell us a little more about your rod, we can tell you more in return. The Phillipson company made many different rods labeled with the Master name over the years.

littlerichie, The green wrapped Master's were the last with metal ferrules, from the late 60s to early 70s. They were made a little later than that beautiful Royal that started this thread. But I wouldn't be surprised if the actual rod blanks under the paint and thread were very similar. I like your rod with a DT5 line, but you should try a couple of different weights and see which one you like the best.

Tom

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 05 Jul 2010, 13:21 • #24 
Guide
Great finds Gregg, how's the fishing?

Phillipson Royal 6 ft
Post 25 Jul 2010, 11:52 • #25 
Guide
Quote:
jgestar wrote:
littlerichie, The green wrapped Master's were the last with metal ferrules, from the late 60s to early 70s. They were made a little later than that beautiful Royal that started this thread. But I wouldn't be surprised if the actual rod blanks under the paint and thread were very similar. I like your rod with a DT5 line, but you should try a couple of different weights and see which one you like the best.
Tom
Her are pictures of it.ImageImageImage

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply