It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:32

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Mar 2012, 08:47 • #1 
Master Guide
I just finished this unsanded yellow glass McFarland 8'3" 6wt. 3pc. rod last night. For this build, I used Joel Lemke's LC1 down locking (screw lock) black anodized seat and the insert is turned from a nice piece of maple burl. It's a bit tough to see in these photos as the down locking cap is covering half of the insert since the blank is standing up right. I just finished the guides last night, so I was reluctant to allow the wraps to touch anything yet. I will get a few better photos either tonight or tomorrow once the wraps have more time to dry.

The guides are all REC black pearl Recoil guides. I've used the black pearl recoil stripping guides before, but never the running snake guides. They were a bit difficult to wrap due to their wiry and flexible characteristics. I've heard horror stories about trying to "prep" the guide feet, but these came preground and did not need much work. Albeit, I bought them directly from REC, which probably helped. They were not as neatly ground/finished as the snake brand guides, but in all a decent guide. I'll probably stick with snake brand guides or PacBay light wire guides for the future though.

The grip is made of all flor grade rings turned to a moderate sized full wells grip. I kept the flared ends somewhat subdued (especially the rear flare so it would blend into the reel seat diameter better) as this rod is only a 6wt. rod and I didn't want the grip to seem overly large. The length of the grip is about 7".

The wraps are all YLI silk, color Antique Gold w/no color preserver. The silk thread goes somewhat translucent and it darkens to a rich golden brown color that nicely compliments the color of the blank.

I'm looking forward to test casting this one this weekend! I'll get some more photos of this rod up in a couple days after the wraps are fully dry. Let me know what you think!

This rod is going to get paired up with my Abel TR3 reel.

Post 01 Mar 2012, 11:16 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
That is a beautiful build! Antiquie Gold wraps really work well on that blank.

Dusty

Post 01 Mar 2012, 14:20 • #3 
Master Guide
Nice choice of thread color and reel seat hardware. You did a beautiful job gluing up and shaping the grip, very comfortable looking. The 7" grip should help balance the rod a bit. A TR3 sounds perfect for that rod. Been keeping an eye out myself for a TR3 to go with some of my longer, heavier glass rods.

I was hoping somebody would post pics of a rod done with the black Recoils. They look nice. When the epoxy is dry I would love to hear your thoughts on the guides. I've heard they are a little quieter than regular Recoils. Thanks

A.F.

Post 02 Mar 2012, 08:31 • #4 
Master Guide
Now that the wraps are fully dry, here are a few more delectable shots!

Post 02 Mar 2012, 22:28 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Simple and elegant, and what a wonderful color combination.

Carl

Post 02 Mar 2012, 22:43 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful job in all respects, sagebass. I really love the color of the wraps - very complimentary to the blank color. Thanks for the photos.

Post 04 Mar 2012, 07:50 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I love how that rod looks. Very nicely done.

Post 04 Mar 2012, 10:22 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Very tasteful build.
Enquiring minds want to know: what is that device taped to your bench?

Post 04 Mar 2012, 16:37 • #9 
Master Guide
Thanks guys.

Pete: That is part of my rod turner. That part is simply supportive and another part (not in the photo) holds the turning motor and rod chuck.

New Topic Add Reply