It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 May 2007, 02:56 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
A little known fact is that in the early 1970's Garcia which owned both Conolon and Mitchell of France had several agreements with its subsidiaries. One of those being Mitchell of France for the European rights to release Conolon Products under its License. As such The Charles Ritz Conolon rod circa 1971-1974 has a different rod tube made of plastic with a cordova cover clearly halmarked with the Mitchell logo and Mitchells serial number. This rod is one of those, a 7ft 1in Charles Ritz Conolon. The checkered rod sock is the same, however some decals on the rod are different as well such as the Garcia logo. Makes for some interesting collecting. Abu had similiar agreements in Sweden for some Conolon rod releases. I have not as yet seen either the Wulff or Ritz rods halmarked with the Abu logo or know of any differences in rod tube etc, however I've been told by a collector in Sweden that they too released a few halmarked rods as such.

Post 16 May 2007, 06:43 • #2 
Master Guide
That's nice! What is it rated (line weight)? It sure would look sweet with one of those black crinkle finished JWY's that Bulldog tuned for me ... In fact, it would look even better in my collection ... Haven't you owned it long enough? ... How about my turn? ... :D
Bob

Post 16 May 2007, 06:56 • #3 
Administrator
That is a really sexy little number in black. Nice.

Post 16 May 2007, 11:36 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Bob,
Well this is not my rod, its a near mint (only lawn cast) rod of a collector friend in Sweden. I haven't as yet seen a rod with correct sock, tube and decales like this for sale in the United States, they are as you can emagine quite rare. The Ritz rods from all makers not just Conolon were and are today extremely popular in Europe. Likewise there is extreme interest on a collector standpoint from Japanese collectors in Ritz Rods. This rod was rated a 6-7 wt but can handle a 5 nicely and I suspect a WF8F as well.
I've owned the american version, but to date have never seen either the European Mitchell or Abu versions for sale on Ebay or in this Country. My friend in Sweden who owns this one is not wanting to sell of course, he was interested in obtaining american versions in that they sell here for far less than on the Continant. The estimated value of the Mitchell version in Europe in this condition is now nearly $900 and it seems each time one is sold the price hits new levels.

Hi Vinni

The three extension version was listed in the 1972 Catalogue I have, and states that all the extensions can be stacked for a total of 19inches of extension, for a saltwater rod it for 9 and 10wt lines it most likely was intended for both Surf as well as limited trolling as well. Kind of a neat little rubber butt fill plug that fits the reel seat and all three spacers. Does your rod sock have places for just to inserts, or does it have spaces for the extensions? the 72 sock has a place for each extension, the 74 sock has the extensions attached to the butt and only two sections. Same as the 8ft 2in I have.

The black color, sort of dark graphite gray semi gloss is very attractive with its silver gray metalic wraps and silver trim. Quite a striking rod for its period.

Sounds like the fit for the ferrules is near perfect, this rod should make a great rod to fish with if it stays in this country.
Good luck to all, the last seconds should be interesting, it was on the last two.

Richard

Post 17 May 2007, 10:28 • #5 
Piscator
tell your friend we like it. :hat

Post 17 May 2007, 12:22 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks its a really nice rod for sure, hes trying to get me pictures of the Abu Release as well, Im told its in a red cordova covered plastic tube with Abu monograms and the rod is so marked and numbered as well, it will be interesting to see it for sure.
It opens an interesting area to collecting if you think you have covered one model only to find that they had several versions of each release you never knew about.
Id sure love to see a Mitchell Europe or Abu Sweden Catalogue of the period to see everything offered in the early to mid 1970s I wonder how many other mfgs we don't even think about had similiar arrangements with offshore partners.
Richard

Post 15 Mar 2018, 18:13 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Very classy - black tie affair!

Post 21 Mar 2018, 09:57 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Hysterical Cameron!

Post 21 Mar 2018, 10:07 • #9 
Master Guide
I had an 8, with the sock but no tube. Parabolic was not for me....

New Topic Add Reply