It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:10

New Topic Add Reply
Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 30 Oct 2011, 12:35 • #1 
Master Guide
Picked up an old rod today. Don't know anything about these but it is the second one I have found. The first one is a #700 Fly Rod,seems older with smaller guides and plastic seat. The one I got today as a 105 8' Dry Fly Action, larger, cheap looking guides and an Allan reelseat. Anyone know anything about these?

Mike

Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 31 Oct 2011, 04:57 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The bottom of the two (8 ft dry fly action) looks like a Garcia Conolon rod to me, the grip/reel seat and wrapping style are very similar to GC rods and I know they made rods for private labels, I've got one. I can't guess as to the other rod.

A GC 8 foot dry fly is likely to be a pretty nice rod, I'd start with a 5 DT and work from there.
Enjoy!
Hayden

Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 31 Oct 2011, 06:36 • #3 
Master Guide
Hmm ... I do see some similarities to a Garcia. I only had a couple of minutes to play with these and tried a 7wf line and they both seemed happy. I plan to try some other lines, wish they had more than 5 guides. I have fished the upper one with the 7 wt line and it worked nicely. Thanks for the reply

Mike

Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 31 Oct 2011, 07:21 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Mike the top rod is a Horrocks-Ibbotson c1955. - same seat, cork, and that thing in front of the cork(forget what it is called) as my H-I Mohawk Buddy from the ssame era.

Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 31 Oct 2011, 07:26 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
If that top rod is solid glass, it looks a heck of a lot like my Horrocks-Ibbotson Buddy and Ike Walton No. 1700 rods (both are 6 2/3ft). The cork and reel seat of the Sportsman you have, though different in color, looks identical to these two rods. They both like 7wt lines and have only 5 guides including tip top too.

Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 01 Nov 2011, 16:11 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
That big rubber plug/"winding check" at the front of the grip of the "Deluxe"sure looks like a Garcia Conolon. And the plastic reel seat looks just like the one on my HI Mohawk Rainbow. I think you fellers got these pegged.

The Waco Kid

Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 02 Nov 2011, 03:36 • #7 
Master Guide
Thanks guys, good info! I have tried to find info on the first one for a while. When I found the second I figured it was a sign and had to buy it. I should have figured the the old one was an HI, most of my inexpensive rods seem to be HI's!

Mike

Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 02 Nov 2011, 07:50 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
When it gets too cold for FF4GT to fish the Kern, you may learn more about the potential GC.

Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 05 Nov 2011, 09:36 • #9 
Guide
Mike, these look like the kind of finds I'm hunting out. What do you plan on doing with them? Just curious. I guess I'm wondering in general about bringing these down to bare blanks or do you fish them "as is"? Nice rods. Sorry I don't have any information for you.

Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 06 Nov 2011, 05:18 • #10 
Master Guide
If a rod is ugly or messed up I will rebuild it to make it useful again. Never makes financial sense but I just enjoy doing it! If a rod works fine as is then I will leave it and fish it. So these two will probably stay as is, I have a True Temper that I am probably going to add a few more guides to and see if it improves it. I've got a couple others that may get stripped and rebuilt. The problem is most of these old rods are 6/7 weights! How many 7 weights can you fish? Oh well, just part of the addiction!

Mike

Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 12 Nov 2011, 20:27 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
wrote:
The problem is most of these old rods are 6/7 weights! How many 7 weights can you fish?

Exactly. Especially if the vast majority of one's fishing is more appropriate for four and five weights. Quite a deal-killer for a would-be rod rehabber looking toward the lighter side.

Sportsman Custom Deluxe
Post 16 Nov 2011, 06:53 • #12 
Guide
Same here. I'm rebuilding/rehabbing a few rods, that otherwise would not be fishable, but then may never get fished by myself. I have a couple wonderful 7wts and a couple gorgeous 8wts. And I only take those out 1-2 a year. But I have 4-5 proj rods that are all 7-8-9 wts. They are cheap (relatively) projects. Once my skills/experience are up in the 12-15 rod range, I can feel better about buying one of the killer glass blanks that I see here in a 4-5 wt. Until then, I'm working on rods just like these and loving the process.
w

New Topic Add Reply