It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Sep 2018, 16:59 • #1 
Master Guide
do you guys use these for anything, the smaller webbie feathers in a pheasant tail clump, if so what for? I hate throwing stuff out.
thanks.Image

Post 12 Sep 2018, 17:54 • #2 
Piscator
they make tiny pheasant tail flies.

The pheasant rump as wonderful soft hackle for salt flies, size 6 and 4.

Post 12 Sep 2018, 19:16 • #3 
Guide
Yes, for wing cases on mayfly and stonefly nymphs. Usually sprayed with a fixative first for durability, or coated with UV cure resin.

Post 13 Sep 2018, 07:54 • #4 
Master Guide
yes, i have used them for wing casing and i need to do that more often. And i really need to spend for some UV.
i was kind of hoping someone was using them for some little creative fly that im over looking

Post 13 Sep 2018, 10:28 • #5 
Guide
I prefer those feathers over the center tails for Teeny nymphs and a tiny crayfish pattern I tied and throw for carp and smallies. The webbier fibers stick together better and keep a slightly better profile.

Post 04 Oct 2018, 02:24 • #6 
I think I have used those feathers to make hopper legs, along with the bigger tail feathers. They can also be used to make hopper wings. The fixative I used was called Grumbacher's but I haven't seen it in decades!

Post 15 Jan 2020, 08:45 • #7 
Guide
I was digging through some older tying threads this morning and wanted to share a Jack Gartside article which is the best resource I’ve found on tying with various pheasant feathers:

http://www.jackgartside.com/art_pheasant_feathers.htm

Quote:
Rump feathers

These feathers are found, as you might suspect, in the rump area and are extremely useful when tying streamers, large Sparrows, as "spey" hackle, or (for those familiar with my pattern, the Stray Cat) for interesting "one-hackle" flies. These feathers are often mottled in various shades of brown with very attractive and durable barbs which can vary wildly in length from very short to very long; hence, their usefulness for many different types of flies and patterns. One of my favorite tarpon flies, the Tarpon Spey, is tied with this feather. In it I use this feather as a ribbing in much the same way salmon tyers use heron or other hackle to hackle their traditional salmon spey-style flies.

Post 15 Jan 2020, 09:30 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
You can use those, or any soft over large feather, by clipping the fibers/flue/herl from the stem and inserting them into a dubbing loop as Marc Petitjean does with his Magic Clip (try a couple of bulldog paper clips in place of the Magic Clip). the length of the fibers can be adjusted in the loop and excess cut off, then the twisted loop is wound as soft hackle. You can also use these clipped off fibers like hair as wings or beards. The stiffer less webby fibers can be tails on any wet fly.
If you haven't visited Jack Gartside's site that SouthernRivers linked, you really should, all Jack's articles are interesting and he used many materials in unconventional ways.

Post 29 Jan 2020, 09:54 • #9 
Sport
I had forgotten about Mr Gartside's (RIP) article on pheasant feathers......thank you for the reminder. Great stuff. Highly recommended for the OP.....

New Topic Add Reply