It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:21

New Topic Add Reply
Barbless hooks
Post 20 Aug 2018, 19:31 • #1 
Guide
What hooks are everyone using for trying. Just curious as there are a lot of choices out there. I had been using the tmc spbl in the past, but am running low and will need to restock before the winter.

Re: Barbless hooks
Post 21 Aug 2018, 21:31 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Paul - for the most part I don’t use barbless hooks, simply crimp the barb as I put it in the vise. I use Daiichi as it is what the local shop carries. I buy the 100ct box to save a few bucks. They are a quality hook. Never had one break. I use Tiemco only when Daiichi hooks are not available (very expensive). Roy

Post 22 Aug 2018, 05:09 • #3 
Sport
Tmc spbl are great. I also use Hanak hooks and the Orvis tactical hooks.

Post 22 Aug 2018, 08:48 • #4 
Guide
I have had a good luck using Hanak hooks as well.

Post 25 Aug 2018, 16:01 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
TMC

Post 29 Aug 2018, 19:05 • #6 
everything I am doing now is on Firesticks and Gammi B10s hooks.....check out Firestick website. Their hooks a VERY good

Post 01 Sep 2018, 23:39 • #7 
Sport
Used to crimp, but it was then banned for competition fishing, so switched to either Tiemco or Hanak.

Post 04 Oct 2018, 02:32 • #8 
Here is a little experiment that will satisfy anyone asking about why they should fish with barbless flies.

I first heard about barbless hooks in the first fly tying class I attended. I thought to myself, this guy must be crazy! Many years later I began teaching fly tying and fly fishing classes. The thing I did was to get a piece of cardboard about 5 inches square. Then take a #8 barbed hook, a #8 hook with the barb pinched down, and a #8 hook with all the barb filed off. I would snell the three hooks with 15 lb test mono, and have each of my students place the point of each hook against the edge of the cardboard and pull the mono to sink the hook. Try it yourself and see which hook is easiest to get in the cardboard. The cardboard was the closest I could come to a trout's mouth/lip. As long as you keep a tight line the fish will stay on the hook.

Post 04 Oct 2018, 04:21 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Mostly use old Mustad (I bought a thousand or three? back in the early '80s for cheap) and bend/break the barb; squeezing these barbs with smooth needle-nose usually breaks the barb, leaving just a bump. Some hooks (what brand?) the barbs don't break and those often end up being honed off. Squeezing with vise as seen on utube leaves the barb half bent.
In the sizes where I have ran out of Mustads the replacement is TMC in whatever model the pro tyer at the shop chooses, if I tell him to sell me the hook he uses for such&such fly it always turns out TMC.

New Topic Add Reply