It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:53

New Topic Add Reply
Tube Flies
Post 11 Aug 2018, 23:38 • #1 
Sport
Just curious but is anyone on here tying on tubes? I tie about 90% of my Pike flies on tubes, and as a general rule I tie anything with a shank 4x or longer on tubes as well. One exception is Wooly Buggers - the hook sits too far back for most fish I target with Wooly Buggers so I only tie probably about 1/4 of them on tubes. Flies with shorter shanks, small flies < about size 12, spinning deer hair flies, and other miscellaneous stuff like the Pistol Pete's I recently started tying go on regular hooks. I really like the tubes for toothy fish though - they really save the fly so you get to use it longer. I noticed when I've hooked up using tube Wooly Buggers for stillwater trout I got a more fish to hand using the tube versions than I have with the regular versions. Just wondering what others experiences have been.

Re: Tube Flies
Post 14 Aug 2018, 15:13 • #2 
Master Guide
The big one may or may not be a fly. But it is built around a tube.

http://montana-riverboats.com/?page=Fli ... Little.jpg

Post 14 Aug 2018, 18:35 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Pittendrigh you always come up with the coolest more interesting flies.

Post 15 Aug 2018, 09:27 • #4 
Master Guide
Thank you! The big lure above is definitely a lure. I wanted to see if I could make a real lure quickly rather than spending 3 days molding or carving. I can make those big foam lures start to finish in 15 or 20 minutes.

The big one has a 1/2 oz slip sinker glued onto a polypropelene tube and then buried into a slit in some white closed cell foam. It's way too heavy to handle with a fly rod so it is a lure. The plastic bill on that one is too thin and flexible. It works but it's not durable. It was more of a proof of concept idea. Thicker plastic for the diving bills isn't hard to find.

The little wiggler is too light to cast with a spin rod. It dives and wiggles like crazy. You can only use it with a fly rod. Which makes it--------still not a fly? Because it wiggles?

Post 15 Aug 2018, 13:01 • #5 
Sport
That's pretty neat. I'd use a short shank hook like a Glo Bug type on the big one. Love the little wiggler - might have to tie some of those.

Post 15 Aug 2018, 14:11 • #6 
Master Guide
I tie most of my streamers on tubes. Big fan of Future Fly tube products.

New Topic Add Reply