It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 04:35

New Topic Add Reply
On Being Fussy.
Post 12 Jun 2018, 07:35 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Recently I have been using a bunch of Moose Mane fibers for tailing material. What I've noticed is that after stacking the fibers in a hair stacker a few of the tips come out blunt or perhaps broken. So then I have to spend time spreading the stacked fibers to remove the blunt ones. Then I need to restack what's left. A real PITA. Am I the only one experiencing this. Is there a cleaner way of avoiding this? Any advise appreciated. Thank you folks in advance.
Mark

Re: On Being Fussy.
Post 12 Jun 2018, 08:48 • #2 
Master Guide
Hey Mark! I have the very same problem with moose mane. Sometimes, after I've already stacked the hair and have the bunch in my hand, I'll try to carefully pull out the broken fibers with a fine pair of tweezers. I'm sure there is a better way! I hope others will have some tips on this because I really like how the moose mane looks and floats. One of my favorite small creek flies is the Royal Wulff with a moose mane tail. Sometimes after I tie the moose in I'll put a little golden pheasant tippet on top of it for a little extra color with the hope that it takes the focus off the broken moose fibers. Wishing you and safe and low-key fire season this year!

David

Post 12 Jun 2018, 13:47 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
David1971 wrote:
Hey Mark! I have the very same problem with moose mane. Sometimes, after I've already stacked the hair and have the bunch in my hand, I'll try to carefully pull out the broken fibers with a fine pair of tweezers. I'm sure there is a better way! I hope others will have some tips on this because I really like how the moose mane looks and floats. One of my favorite small creek flies is the Royal Wulff with a moose mane tail. Sometimes after I tie the moose in I'll put a little golden pheasant tippet on top of it for a little extra color with the hope that it takes the focus off the broken moose fibers. Wishing you and safe and low-key fire season this year!

David

Thanx David. That's what I've been doing, pulling out the blunt tips. Then restacking etc. Perhaps I need to me more careful when I buy a patch of Moose and look for one with less blunt or broken ends.

Post 12 Jun 2018, 15:10 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I've not heard of using moose mane as tailing, what patterns are you using it on and why such long hair for tails? I don't keep with the latest thing in fly tying, but always thought of moose mane as body material.

Post 12 Jun 2018, 15:32 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
i have problems with deer body hair breaking and just being fragile in general.Even if i get it tied on intact it only lasts for a few fish. just started using moose body and have had no problems.only used on a few hippy stompers so far and it seems more durable.Moose mane i have never used

Post 12 Jun 2018, 18:51 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
The mane I have is 4-5" long and rather on the soft side, used it to wrap a quill like body light and dark on mosquitoes. Body hair is a different depending on what part of the body it comes from, some deer is better than some other deer.

Post 12 Jun 2018, 19:23 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:
The mane I have is 4-5" long and rather on the soft side, used it to wrap a quill like body light and dark on mosquitoes. Body hair is a different depending on what part of the body it comes from, some deer is better than some other deer.

I bought some moose mane for this very purpose but haven't actually used it yet. Do you normally apply a thin coat of cement after making the mosquito body ? I probably have a bookmark or two somewhere, but if you have a pic or pics it would be super appreciated :)

Edit: found a nice video. Just bought a thing of that solarez bone dry, too.

Moose body hair has been working pretty well for me as tailing for hippie stompers but also green drakes, irresistibles, and the like. Sounds like using the mane for tailing is a bit frustrating.

Last edited by Odonata on 12 Jun 2018, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post 12 Jun 2018, 19:40 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I usually use moose body hair for tails on mayflies. I haven't had the types of problems you are describing, but I only use 3-5 hairs at a time. The tips themselves seem to fairly flexible.

I like the thought of using moose main as a quill body. do you still have to soak them?

Post 12 Jun 2018, 20:03 • #9 
Guide
If you can find it, try using moose hock for tailing fibers. I use it for a lot of traditional Michigan patterns and it works great. It’s much shorter than mane or body hair and somewhat stiffer in my opinion.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 03:06 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
do you still have to soak them?
No, but I did paint the body with head lacquer, look at the video that Odonata found. I used less tail hackle and head lacquer/nail polish rather than the UV coating he uses.
Sorry can't do pictures and it has been a while since I used those, the light and dark mane can be used the same way in a midge body, a quick segmented body for what ever.
A couple pretty good articles on hair selection and usage: https://midcurrent.com/flies/fly-tying-hair-selection/
http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/s ... -deer-hair
Charlie Craven said
Quote:
There was a time when moose body hair was all the rage for dry fly tails on patterns like Wulffs and Humpys. I have replaced moose body hair with moose hock for my tailing applications and expect most other good tiers have also. Moose body hair is much longer than moose hock and is considerably bigger in diameter. Moose body hair is at best a pretty even mix of white and black hairs, and at worst consists of hair that is white from the base up to about the halfway point where it then turns black.The butt ends of moose body hair are thick and spin like deer hair...

On evening hair, I just use my palm and fingers, I never could get used to the stacker cups (and many other gadgets) My suggestion is to grasp the tips of the moose mane and pull out only the undamaged (after cutting from the hide) the fine tipped undamaged hairs should be longer than the broken hairs, then use the stacker. I expect there are more damaged pieces than good pieces in most mane samples. because the mane is on the top of the neck it is exposed to a lot more damage than other body hair.

Post 13 Jun 2018, 09:10 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:
I've not heard of using moose mane as tailing, what patterns are you using it on and why such long hair for tails? I don't keep with the latest thing in fly tying, but always thought of moose mane as body material.

Hi Trev,
I use moose on several patterns. Mostly for tails. The Hippy Stomper, some different hoppers, awesome for tails on Green Drakes and Bugmiesters.
Mark

Post 13 Jun 2018, 14:41 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
hi Hellmtflies, The Hippy Stomper, per the inventor Andrew Grillos, calls for moose body hair, a much better choice, imo. Hock might be an even better choice. The mane I have seen is almost always somewhat damaged and mostly blunt. Did you mean moose mane or moose body hair?
http://www.andrewgrillosflyfishing.com/ ... ie-stomper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4rilByk4hU
You should note that in the video and in the photo both, the tail hair is not evened on the tips, it presents an uneven semi tapered finished tail.
I don't have any moose body and if I were tying that fly would likely substitute tail hair from mink or wood chuck or elk hair, I really don't believe that on that large foam bug the fish will notice the tail.

Post 14 Jun 2018, 09:19 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Trev wrote:
hi Hellmtflies, The Hippy Stomper, per the inventor Andrew Grillos, calls for moose body hair, a much better choice, imo. Hock might be an even better choice. The mane I have seen is almost always somewhat damaged and mostly blunt. Did you mean moose mane or moose body hair?
http://www.andrewgrillosflyfishing.com/ ... ie-stomper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4rilByk4hU
You should note that in the video and in the photo both, the tail hair is not evened on the tips, it presents an uneven semi tapered finished tail.
I don't have any moose body and if I were tying that fly would likely substitute tail hair from mink or wood chuck or elk hair, I really don't believe that on that large foam bug the fish will notice the tail.

Yes, I am using moos mane not body hair. I'll get the other and give it a shot. Thanx!
Mark

New Topic Add Reply