For tying fresh water flies, would your advise
be an HMH Standard or Spartan vise. What
would be the difference?
Thank you,
DinoC

Re: HMH Vise Advise
Post 17 May 2018, 00:07 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
If those are the only choice I'd pick the Spartan, that does not mean you should though. I would advise you try both on, so to speak, before you buy; is there a dealer near you? Cabela's? A fly-tying class? anywhere that you could sit next to and put your hands on them. or maybe another as well.
"What would be the difference?" about $110 depending on source. This discussion explains the major differences are size of knobs, levers and such; http://hmhvises.com/board/index.php?topic=115.0
largely a matter of tyer comfort, the jaws interchange, so either has the capability of large and small hooks.

I probably should not even offer advise on this anyhow, since I am still tying on the Thompson A from long ago. I saw an as new in the box A on the auction a while back and wish now I had bought it for a grand kid.

Post 17 May 2018, 07:57 • #3 
Master Guide
I tied on a Spartan for a time including some freshwater patterns. I still have it. I like my Renzetti traveler better. The Renzetti is just easier and quicker for me to set up and secure the hook, which is about all I care about in a vise. I found I had trouble getting the hook secure too much of the time and the fine adjustments took too long with the Spartan and that hasn’t been an issue with the Renzetti.

The Spartan looks well made and appears on looks alone to be more robust than the Renzetti. People connect with different tools and I just relate to the design and functionality of the Renzetti better.

Post 17 May 2018, 11:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I also have a Spartan that I rarely use. It’s a well made piece of equipment that I purchased with a Midge head for very small hooks. However, I use my Regal almost exclusively, even down to size 20 hooks. It is easier to use, firmly holds hooks and has proven to be bulletproof. Roy

Post 17 May 2018, 14:05 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
"People connect with different tools and I just relate to the design and functionality of the Renzetti better."
Exactly, it is why there are 50 or a 1000 similar tools (claw hammer, example) and all have adherents.

Post 18 May 2018, 13:47 • #6 
Master Guide
After going through several inexpensive vises, I purchased a HMH Spartan vise. It was the vise that my fly shop recommended, and I have no complaints. It is well made and does all the flies that I feel like tying.

Post 20 Jun 2018, 14:19 • #7 
Guide
Spartan is a must have, cost lower than standard but do the same (very good) job.

Post 20 Jul 2018, 16:51 • #8 
Guide
The Standard is larger and a bit longer, if that matters. I have both, and the Spartan is cheaper and will do the job, but I like the Standard.

Post 23 Jul 2018, 07:51 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Not really impressed with the HMH vices.
The way the hook is held (applied without a defined 'on') makes holding hooks quite awkward.
Also the smooth inside of the head makes holding the hook in its place a guess.
Sorry guys.

There are much better hook holding vices on the market for the same price.

Post 23 Jul 2018, 13:35 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
As with all things, it's all about personal preference. Best thing to do is try out multiples if possible. I absolutely love my Spartan. I tried a Regal a while back and while I love the jaws a little more than my HMH, there's a reason I still have my HMH...it just feels right to me.

Post 29 Jul 2018, 13:18 • #11 
Sport
I have a HMH Spinner for tying tube flies and love it. Never tied anything on the standard but I wouldn't hesitate to get it. Renzetti makes some good vices and I bought the Apprentice when I first started tying. I've since moved on to the Dyna King Barracuda for everything except larger Clouser type flies where a straight shaft makes life easier for tying deer hair on the underside of the shank - for those types of flies I have the Dyna King Ergonomic Supreme. But yeah, I think you'll be very happy with that HMH vice.

New Topic Add Reply