It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:03

New Topic Add Reply
Vise question
Post 07 May 2018, 17:41 • #1 
I was looking at the vise reviews on Fly Fish Ohio. I am thinking about buying the Zephr EZ Rotary Vise that they reviewed. Is this the same vise that is sold by Colorado Anglers under their own name?

Re: Vise question
Post 07 May 2018, 18:01 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It does look kind of the same. I bought something similar from Cabelas about a year and a half ago on sale for about $50 as my first vise. It worked great for woolly buggers, surf flies, clousers, and larger trout flies. I still use it for those kind of things, but I bought an HMH SX which I like a lot more for smaller flies (also bought the midge jaws).

The SX has much better clearance for smaller flies, while the EZ's basic rotary is better for flipping the fly upside down; the SX allows the fly to be rotated, but at a fixed angle which is not optimal for clousers and so on (without repositioning the hook). For those kinds of things I'm usually using a larger hook size anyway, so the EZ is fine for that.

Post 07 May 2018, 18:44 • #3 
Found Colorado Anglers Supply web site and they have the vise listed as the Zephyr EZ rotary vise so it is the same. Just wanted to make sure I was buying what I thought I was buying. I can save about $10 buying the CAS one. Not worth the savings of i wasn't sure that it was the one I wanted.

If anyone has experience with this vise please chime in. I'm new at this but it is something that I have wanted to do for many years. I live in a tidal river in SE Georgia so I will be tying medium sized flies. Possibly crappie flies if I can interest my 9y/o grandson into fishing with me.

Post 10 May 2018, 21:19 • #4 
Ended up buying a Wolf Atlas rotary.

Post 10 May 2018, 21:51 • #5 
Guide
Seafarer wrote:
Ended up buying a Wolf Atlas rotary.

Much better choice. You will not be disappointed.

New Topic Add Reply