First try with materials I had on hand.

Re: First spey fly
Post 24 Nov 2017, 09:52 • #2 
Master Guide
Handsome fly

Post 24 Nov 2017, 11:48 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Great looking Spey fly. I went to a Spey fly tying class several years ago. Never did fish them as I thought they were too pretty. Roy

Post 30 Nov 2017, 23:47 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
It's a good start ! Keep working at it !!

Pecos

Post 01 Dec 2017, 10:22 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Great first attempt. Nice looking fly. Wings are tented just right. I have been tying this style on and off as the mood takes me. I've found them to be very good fishing flies in the Summer and Fall of the year, when tied in subdued colors. I find larger, brighter fluorescent flies and ones with sharp contrasting colors are effective for clear Winter flows. I like more of a Dee style for brighter or more contrasting colors.
I hesitate to comment on the fly, as I don't want them to be misconstrued. Every fly tier has a style, mine is not right, it's just mine. These are some of the things that came to mind as I looked over the fly. It is very full. I've had problems with a fly, constructed as such, floating upside down, with the hackle acting as a wing. This happens to me when the hook bend is not heavy enough to act as a keel and keep the fly from flipping over and the hackle becoming a wing. I've seen my flies twisting in the current when I've over hackled them and float hackles up.
I have taken to hackling my flies as sparse as I can. Even striping one side of the feather before palmering it up the body and only 1 turn at the head. If I add another contrasting hackle as a collar, it's only 1, 2 turns at the most and it will not extend as far as the hook point. I have found that sparser hackling gives me much more life like movement and the fly swims as wanted. Something to think about.
Again good fly, keep tying.
Respectfully rvreclus

New Topic Add Reply