It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:14

New Topic Add Reply
Today at the tying bench
Post 05 Nov 2017, 10:31 • #1 
Guide
Most of the flies at my house are tied during the off season. During the summer we are all to busy doing just about everything else to sit indoors and crank out flies. The one exception of that of course is if we run out of something we need. This weekend, now that trout season is over here in Vermont we had some time to sit down at the bench for some much needed vise time.

Caleb has decided his talents have moved beyond the need to flies with dad, so he's set up his own tying bench in his bed room and has been at it all week. This morning Leland woke up in the mood to tie some flies, something he hasn't asked to do since last April. I had quietly bought him a vise and set of tools last winter which he never had been given due to lack of interest on his part. So I took the opportunity to dig them out and present them to him this morning. Leland had a rough start in life and has a somewhat quirky personality. He's a smart kid, way beyond grade level in school. But, when it comes to fly tying he struggles.....ALOT. I taught fly tying classes for almost 20 years, teaching literally hundreds of people of all ages and ability levels. When it comes to teaching Leland though, even I find myself banging my head against the wall after a few minutes. What I've found usually works with him is to set him up with what he needs and let him figure it out on his own, and in his own way. But today Caleb thought he'd give teaching a try, it was as fun to watch as it was for them to do. :)
Not a "technically perfect" Foam Beetle, but by far the best fly Leland has ever tied. The boys had fun and it's more then "good enough" to catch fish and they had fun doing it, which is all that matters. :)

Post 05 Nov 2017, 12:13 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Good enough -- you bet! Well-done to Leland, and to you.

Post 05 Nov 2017, 16:03 • #3 
Guide
Thanks!
After lunch today Emma decided she needed to show the boys up, we call her "Fly Girl" around the house. She's good for a kid and she knows it. Just like Leland though she hasn't sat down at the vise since April, so she was a little rusty at first. But it didn't take her long to get back into the swing of things.
She tied a couple nice Poly Wing Caddis's, and a Brassie she asked me not to post (not up to her standards)
These are some of her flies from earlier this year, not bad at all for an 8 year old! :)

Post 05 Nov 2017, 17:01 • #4 
Master Guide
What are you going to do for flies when they grow up and move out? Seriously though, this is just great stuff with the kids, it warms the heart. Kudos to all of you!

Post 05 Nov 2017, 17:45 • #5 
Guide
Thanks, I'll just be glad when their fly tying volume meets their own demands....and I can stop tying 4 of everything!

Post 08 Nov 2017, 03:47 • #6 
Guide
That is just awesome!

Post 08 Nov 2017, 21:52 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
:D :D :D :D

Post 08 Dec 2017, 15:38 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Just saw this thread...I love it!

Post 08 Dec 2017, 18:31 • #9 
Master Guide
We have kids coming to a Tuesday night fly tying gathering in Bozeman, at the Bozeman Family Fly Shop. It's such a cool thing. Makes everybody smile.

Post 10 Dec 2017, 12:05 • #10 
Guide
In my humble opinion there are few things more hart warming then kids tying flies, and fly fishing. :)

Emma was back on the tying bench yesterday trying to perfect a poly wing spinner. She was done before I got the camera out, but it was cute to watch.

Post 11 Dec 2017, 16:19 • #11 
Guide
As with comments above, I just love seeing this. Brings back great memories. Taught my son flytying 25 years ago. He did it a while, dropped it (during the female-discovery phase) and now has taken it back up with a vengeance.

Oh and by the way, the flies? Not bad at all!

Post 12 Dec 2017, 00:00 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
That's Great !

Pecos

Post 12 Dec 2017, 12:23 • #13 
Guide
Thanks guys, all the kind words are appreciated, and I make a point to let the kids read all the comments.....which helps keep their interest up. :)

On a very cool side note to this story, 8 year old Emma has started making hats and baby blankets for kids in the foster care system. Something near and dear to her young hart, as that was how she, and the other 3 kids came to us.

Got to admit, they are a talented bunch of kids!

New Topic Add Reply