It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:48

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Royal Coachman
Post 26 Oct 2017, 11:20 • #1 
Guide
I was I fly tying instructor holding weekly classes from 1987 to 2001, in that time literally hundreds of fly tiers sat in on my classes and work shops over the years. I still teach those who want to learn, but no longer have the time to hold organized classes. Any way, I always liked using the Fan Wing Royal Coachman as a "fight or flight" pattern for new students. It can be tough to tie for a new comer, but not so difficult it can't be mastered in less then an hour.

So my question is, has anyone every really........REALLY, in living memory, ACTUALLY caught a fish on a Royal Coachman....EVER. I've just never seen it done. I'm sure it's happened somewhere, some time.....but have you :)

Last edited by sgoodroe on 26 Oct 2017, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Royal Coachman
Post 26 Oct 2017, 12:12 • #2 
Master Guide
HaHa! I've fished them a number of times in a tandem rig with a soft hackle. Never hooked a fish on one. Always took the soft hackle instead.

Post 26 Oct 2017, 13:40 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Oh yes, I have caught a few on drys, but I would not be without the wet fly version - it is one of my top producers here in western Mass.

Back in the 60's when I was learning to tie, I caught a number of fish on the old dry fan wing. I haven't fished one in years, but I bet it will still work in the right situation.

Post 26 Oct 2017, 14:06 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
From a poster on a local Oregon forum:

Re: List your top 3 favorite trout flies
when I was a kid , I think every fish I caught here in the valley creeks was a on a Royal Coachman. It was " the" fly without a doubt. Nowadays I can't tell you the last time I used one. hmmmmm
----------------------------------------------
Myself, I guess I have a few but they are in my box mixed with the Royal Wulffs, very similar. I loaned a rod to a friend, and he returned it with a Royal Wulff attached. I tried it and caught about 40 fish. I mailed the fly back to him, and ordered a pile of them

Post 26 Oct 2017, 14:16 • #5 
Guide
I have a small lake nearby where I was catching smallmouth, perch, and even a slab crappie on royal coachman streamers. It's a weird place.

Post 26 Oct 2017, 16:08 • #6 
Master Guide
Not on a fan wing. I started fly tying 55 years ago and I've never tied one. Not a fan wing anyway.

Post 26 Oct 2017, 18:55 • #7 
Guide
Way back when I was a kid, maybe 6 years old I had a small pocket sized book on fishing given to me by my brother. For most of my youth that little book was the only source for fishing (and fly fishing) instruction I had. The Royal Coachman was one of the 5 or 6 flies pictured in the book and was there for one of the first flies I learned to tie. To be honest when I tie flies for me I'm a bit lazy and just want them as quick and simple as possible......something the coachman isn't. It's a great teaching tool, but at least for me, for where I fish....I've never had so much as a rise on one. But that being said it's an old pattern that has stood the test of time, and for that alone deserves some level of reverence. I'm just curious when, and where it's useful I guess. :)

Post 26 Oct 2017, 20:19 • #8 
Guide
tied plenty of versions of the RC, but never fished one.

I think the aura of the fly is such that people love to see it, but when it comes to fishing, they're plucking flies for the body of water their fishing in order to match hatches or underwater food sources.

Next time i'm out, i'll fish it - see what happens.

maybe we can start a movement - 2018 Year of the Royal Coachman

Post 26 Oct 2017, 20:44 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, I've caught quite a few bass and bluegill in moving water on these. Not fancy ones, ones that came out of some old fly box that ended up in my collection. I've tied a bucktail streamer in a royal coachman that has done well for trout the time I used it.

Post 26 Oct 2017, 21:34 • #10 
Guide
Yes.
A friend of mine discovered it's effectiveness as a searching pattern in the White Mountains of NH. Since then, the more places we try it, the more places it catches fish.

Post 26 Oct 2017, 22:50 • #11 
Guide
Never. But I've read a few anecdotes indicating that brookies find it hard to resist. After reading these posts, I'm going to try it on gills and smallies. Somehow, that makes more sense to me than offering it to trout.

Post 27 Oct 2017, 00:52 • #12 
Guide
I don't think I've used the fan wing version in at least 50 years, but I've caught (and continue) to catch hundreds of fish on the standard version -- wet and dry -- and its variations (Royal Wullf, California Coachman, etc) over the years.

Almost forty years ago I received an invaluable piece of advice on fishing the iso hatch: "near dusk, they turn into Royal Coachman." Not only is the fly easy to see in failing light, but it turns out to be reasonable iso imitation even during the day.

The only reason that I don't use the fan wing version is it's leader twisting ability.

Last edited by redietz on 27 Oct 2017, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Oct 2017, 08:42 • #13 
Master Guide
The standard version has become a go to for me for alpine lakes. I’ll admit that I don’t like tying them though.

Post 27 Oct 2017, 08:51 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I've not really fished the Royal Coachman's much, but they look similar to the Sierra Bright Dot -

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/brightdot.htm

I've had good luck with these with golden trout in streams. I bet the RC's would work well, too. I'll try tying some !

Post 27 Oct 2017, 21:00 • #15 
Sport
Last time I fished the RC, wet fly version, was on a small Blue Mountains, Oregon lake in the evening. I stopped fishing because the fly was shredded & because it was too dark to tie on another.

Post 04 Nov 2017, 07:43 • #16 
Guide
I carry them size 16-12 and use it with great effectiveness as a mountain stream searching pattern. Great on the high mtn. lakes too. Floats well, a good choice for my dry in a dry/dropper rig. Overall it accounts for about 25% of the fish I catch.

Post 04 Nov 2017, 08:20 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
This is a fly I am never without. I use the Wulff version dry fly. I tie it with a single upright calftail wing and a sparse tail of splayed calftail fibers. It floats beautifully through pocket water, its white wing is easily visible, and it catches fish. For years it was the only dry fly i fished on Esopus Creek in NY.

Post 06 Nov 2017, 11:48 • #18 
Master Guide
Still a great pattern, although I prefer a hair wing to a fan wing.

One of the best tiers I know uses a #14 Royal Coachman dry as his "hail Mary" fly. Once when at the West branch of the Delaware we couldn't quite figure out how to catch them when he tried the old Royal Coachman dry and we started clobbering the fish. All the passers by asking what we were using and our answer of course to a man was "#14 Royal Coachman." The response was a near unanimous " Well if you're not going to tell me, don't tell me but you don't have to lie."

Post 25 Nov 2017, 08:15 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I tied one on a steelhead hook years ago and caught a landlocked salmon on it - retired the fly immediately on principle!

Post 25 Nov 2017, 10:28 • #20 
Sport
The parachute royal coachman has worked for me. I always carry a few in my stuff.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 15:44 • #21 
Sport
A Royal Coachman swop?

s fontinalis wrote:
tied plenty of versions of the RC, but never fished one.

I think the aura of the fly is such that people love to see it, but when it comes to fishing, they're plucking flies for the body of water their fishing in order to match hatches or underwater food sources.

Next time i'm out, i'll fish it - see what happens.

maybe we can start a movement - 2018 Year of the Royal Coachman

Post 27 Nov 2017, 13:15 • #22 
Guide
HA! A buddy and I were fishing a tailwater a few years ago, using the typical 6X and size 20-22 midge pupae. It was a cold December day, as I recall. A guy from somewhere way up north wandered down and talked to us, saying his favorite fly was a size 10 Royal Wulff - - which is what was dangling on the end of a 3X leader. Rather than disrespect the guy, we said nothing. You know where this is going, right? Although the fly could be seen from outer space, he quite quickly hooked, landed, and released a 22-inch rainbow in a slow seam we had just fished through. We saw the whole thing up close and personal. I still don't carry that fly, but I'm sure the experience reinforced his confidence in the fly. You just never know.

Post 27 Nov 2017, 22:17 • #23 
Master Guide
Craig S wrote:
.............You know where this is going, right? Although the fly could be seen from outer space, he quite quickly hooked, landed, and released a 22-inch rainbow in a slow seam we had just fished through.............

When you fish a big Royal Wulff or a Hopper as a bobber for a trailing #22 Zebra Midge or some other such typical tailwater fly, in my experience, you always catch the most fish on the Zebra Midge. And not by a little. But by the end of the day you do catch one or two extra fish on the bobber fly. And they are almost always the two biggest fish of the day.

That's happened to me too many times to estimate, let alone count.

Post 28 Nov 2017, 22:58 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, out west, on many small streams !

Pecos

Post 30 Nov 2017, 17:57 • #25 
Master Guide
Caught my first of many on one. It is one of my go to patterns for small streams.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply