It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:29

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Feb 2018, 12:29 • #51 
Piscator
the nice thing about dubbing loops is you can use anything - the trim that falls off your marabou, flashabou, fur - anything - cat fur balls
sweep it up and twist

the front half of this evading crayfish body is amber v-rib, the back half is a fur dubbing loop
collar is long partridge soft hackle, but any long soft hackle works (pheasant rump)

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 15 Feb 2018, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 15 Feb 2018, 15:55 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
well, I've never seen anything like this:

So I guess I came up with it...but who knows? I do know that it gave me a small winter steelhead this morning...stripped through a deep pool, nonetheless.

For some reason, this winter steelhead season, I've been the king of the 22" (and change) winter steelies...weird, but they're all pretty damn special.

Post 15 Feb 2018, 19:31 • #53 
Glass Fanatic
Has anyone tried the dragon tails?Seem to be all the rage on warmwater boards.These originated as those kids toys squirmy worms or magic worms.A big tapered chenille type material ,not the silicone worm material.The toy version seems to have not been very durable .Orvis got someone to make them tougher and in more fly fishing friendly colors.The reviews i read called it the senko of fly fishing.Rabbit moves well but gets heavy and seems to be a magnet for slime algae.They are not that pricey so i may try them out.

Post 15 Feb 2018, 19:36 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
clarkman23 wrote:
well, I've never seen anything like this:

So I guess I came up with it...but who knows? I do know that it gave me a small winter steelhead this morning...stripped through a deep pool, nonetheless.

For some reason, this winter steelhead season, I've been the king of the 22" (and change) winter steelies...weird, but they're all pretty damn special.

Really a nice tie.That fly sure has a lot of things going on there.Are steelhead nuts?The guys i know who fish the lake michigan tribs also use all these day glo colors.The colors of these flies,no disputing they work,look like they were chosen by my 6 yo niece.

Post 15 Feb 2018, 19:39 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
the hersh wrote:
Has anyone tried the dragon tails?Seem to be all the rage on warmwater boards.These originated as those kids toys squirmy worms or magic worms.A big tapered chenille type material ,not the silicone worm material.The toy version seems to have not been very durable .Orvis got someone to make them tougher and in more fly fishing friendly colors.The reviews i read called it the senko of fly fishing.Rabbit moves well but gets heavy and seems to be a magnet for slime algae.They are not that pricey so i may try them out.

you think rabbit gets heavy, dragon tails are far far worse. if you can figure out a good way to cast it, it really does have amazing movement in the water though.

Post 15 Feb 2018, 21:26 • #56 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks clarkman,I think i will stick to feathers and fur with a little bling.

Post 15 Feb 2018, 22:13 • #57 
Piscator
any place you're using rabbit, you can use arctic fox instead.
You can get it already stripped out into zonker strips, which is what I use for tying cat's whisker wings.

Post 15 Feb 2018, 22:37 • #58 
Glass Fanatic
yeah, fox (and temple dog) is absolute money. I also just started tying a little bit with raccoon, which doesn't have quite as good of movement, but has some longer interesting guard hairs....good for certain applications.

Post 16 Feb 2018, 15:58 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
That is great BD.i love marabou but it does take a beating.I have an artic fox tail that i have tied a few generic streamers with.Those damn green sunfish are becoming invasive and they have little serrated teeth that tear marabou and soft hackle to shreds, Like little piranhas,they will dart out of cover and several will attack from all sides .When they get big they are fun,very aggressive.They also seem to like to interbreed with other sunfish making for some odd looking fish.

Post 18 Feb 2018, 20:17 • #60 
Master Guide
Zimmerman uses mostly SLF dubbing - but I don't get too worked up over exact brands. I use SLF, Arizona, Ice Dub, Laser Dub - strand length, color, flash or lack there of matters a lot more depending on the look you're going for, and to a point, how well it stays in the loop.

Synthetic materials require dubbing wax to really stay locked in well, whereas natural materials compress and lock in a lot better without the need for wax. Personally I blend my dubbings a lot - mixing natural and synthetic materials going for subtle flash and mottled colors. I do like Jay's bright tail tips - I find that the more productive plastic worms I fish have a similar feature (pumpkin colored Dingers or Senkos with a chartreuse tail are money when fishing the gear rods)

The worms pictured above are using a mix of Arizona's simi seal, SLF, and natural fibers. I spin up the dubbing loop to the point where it's just about to break - once you spin it that tight it usually will not want to unwind to the point of loosing the dubbing, and you can furl it back over itself pretty easy at that point as well. I also do not do Jay's technique of hand furling. I have nerve damage in my hands, and THAT repetitive fine motor use would cause inflammation and pain in no time, so I use my Sheppard's hook tool, to spin the loop tight, clip a hackle pliers to the end of the loop for tension, slip the hook out, grab the midpoint with the Sheppard's hook, let it hang while I secure the end of the loop back onto the hook shank, then use the SH to furl the dubbing loop back over itself.

To get the variegated appearance, you stack the colors either in quarters or halves, and put the tail-to-be right in the middle of the dubbing loop. If you want more of a subtle mottled appearance, you can just alternate smaller tufts of dubbing colors all along, because when you spin it and furl it, you'll get shorter segments of color and a better mix.

I tie these worms up from tiny inch and half or so versions, upto a big 6 inch worm. The smaller worms work great for panfish, and bass will eat 'em too.

Post 11 May 2018, 21:35 • #61 
Sport
I think it's really difficult to develop a new pattern that is truly original. I make variations of patterns all the time, subbing materials here and there, but never to the extent that I could call the fly my own.

Post 15 Aug 2018, 15:51 • #62 
Sport
I totally agree with you skookum_creek. When I tie popular patterns that have been around for a long time like Pheasant Tail Nymphs, Hare's Ears, Princes, and stuff like that I stick to the exact patterns. For others I often start out tying the original but then modify it to fit my needs. I get patterns from a wide variety of sources to include books, the internet, and magazines.

Post 27 Aug 2018, 11:43 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
Here is a pattern I developed several years ago and works great under heavy water conditions in spring for the Salmon Flies. I call it the "Indian Paintbrush" after the native flower here in the west. Also, for obvious reasons, as you can paint your kitchen with it. :)

Post 29 Aug 2018, 16:00 • #64 
Always variants of the popular staple flies and streamers , which I primarily fish, are all my patterns

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply