It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:26

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Oct 2017, 09:10 • #1 
Guide
There haven't been many fly patterns that did well on the flats and still managed to make the transition to fresh water. Even fewer still that have proved as versatile as the Fury Minnow. Way back in the early '90's this fly was developed as a fairly heavy, internally weighted streamer that casted well into the wind and could be bounced along the bottom imitating a feeding baitfish. It worked great on whiting, redfish and bones in size 2 through 1/0, so I scaled it up for tarpon in size 2/0 to 4/0. It worked, and worked very well! I haven't had the opportunity to fish the salt since 1999, so over the last couple decades I've been giving a second look at some of my old flats patterns and seeing if they can be adapted to fresh water. This is one that exceeded all expectations.
I started out by down sizing the fly, using size 2 for small mouth bass, and size 1/0 for large mouth, pike, pickerel and musky. For river trout size 10 through 6 works great for browns and rainbows. Size 12 and 14, specifically in green olive work wonders on brook trout.
I tie these flies in grey, white and "perch" for use in open water and on the flats. For river trout and bass I like black, brown and olive for use as leach and crayfish imitations.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 09:53 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice fly sgoodroe, and further proves a fly needs not be fancy to be effective!
I'm going to tie some up soon when the snow starts flying.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 10:20 • #3 
Master Guide
:=))

Post 15 Oct 2017, 10:26 • #4 
Guide
I think what makes this pattern so effective is the weight. I use 10 winds of .035" lead wire (tungsten for those places that don't like lead) under the body. It sinks like a stone on fresh water, but drifts nice and slow to the bottom in the salt. On my bigger/tarpon version I used green or blue flashabou an place of peacock herl.

Post 19 Oct 2017, 22:02 • #5 
Sport
It's an attractive fly. It hooked me, but I wonder if it is any better at catching fish than a wooly bugger? Sure the fury minnow doesn't have palmered hackles, but in most other ways it could be said to be a version of the bugger. It has weight, it has eyes, it has a maribou tail. All have been worked into the bugger or variants of it. The wooly one could be scaled in size. I, too, like simple versatile fly that can be adapted to a wide variety of conditions. So, I'm asking myself is the fury minnow a worthwhile tying project? It certainly would be a change to tye I rekon.

Post 20 Oct 2017, 11:37 • #6 
Guide
To me at least I love this pattern, and yeah there is a lot of similarity with the wooly bugger. On my end of things at least this has been the only streamer I've fished in the last 2 years.....it works that good. Try it, tell me what you think. :)

Post 26 Nov 2017, 13:05 • #7 
Inactive
Woolly Bugger is a fly that transitions between salt and fresh. I also contend there is no more a versitle fly than the bugger, to which this fly is very similar to. It doesnot suprise me it's a fish magnet

Post 26 Nov 2017, 13:49 • #8 
Guide
Aside from the marabou and chenille the Fury Minnow actually has little in common with the Wooly Bugger. But you're right both patterns catch fish like crazy and can be fished similarly. The difference comes down to how the flies behave and look in the water. I starting tying this pattern back in the early '90's for flats fishing and it never has stopped impressing me how adaptable it is. :)

Last edited by sgoodroe on 28 Nov 2017, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 17:15 • #9 
Guide
I'm going to tie some of these and try them out on some browns I know come next autumn.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 23:47 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds like an incredibly versatile pattern !!

Pecos

Post 01 Dec 2017, 16:58 • #11 
Guide
pecosjuan wrote:
Sounds like an incredibly versatile pattern !!

Pecos

It is, just for giggles, on vacation this summer I decided to fish ONLY this pattern in size 8, and nothing else. I forget the exact count on fish, but over the course of the week I caught large mouth bass, chain pickerel, brook trout, fallfish, yellow perch, and pumpkin seed from 3 different bodies of water in and around Island Pond, VT all one that 1 fly......and I still have it! :)

Post 02 Dec 2017, 07:56 • #12 
Piscator
whistler patterns always work, and your pattern looks like a great killifish
I too tie my salt whistler patterns without wing, size 6 4x-long
there's a pair of hen saddles beneath the marabou, helping this fly to push a little more water
Simplifying this fly by tying it smaller on a size 8 1x salt hook, smaller bead, shrimp-color chenille, and a short white tail, and they are killer under the dock lights at night

but in freshwater, a wing lets you change the fly to better imitate different baitfish families
wing on top, cyprinid and poecilid
I've brought up clouds of minnows on a cats whisker before, and both image and action, couldn't tell the fly from the naturals.
Tied on stainless, they still make a pretty good mullet in the salt.

Wing on bottom - slide the chain bead back to 1/3 on the shank - and an extra head wrap, makes a perfect sculpin - I named this fly north fork whistler for the blennies in the San Gabriel.
of course, blennies live in the salt.

changing the shape on a Tiemco 200R gives it a stinger hook for short white bass strikes

the very first fly pattern I learned to tie (Charlie Cypert's minnow for white bass - tied and sold by Billy Trimble way back in the Austin Angler) tied on stainless, makes a perfect generic food shrimp crab thingie in the salt, especially if you put the chain bead at the other end of the shank (it sinks more like a crustacean).
This is a simple pattern, chain bead, chenile wrap, braided mylar tubing folded over the hook eye, finish wrap at the tail, and comb out the mylar.

without the chenille wrap (with or without chain bead at back), flatten the mylar tubing in epoxy between wax paper, and you have a spoon.
Nothing acts more like a swimming crab than a spoon.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 03 Dec 2017, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Dec 2017, 10:45 • #13 
Master Guide
I've tied a similar pattern in the same colors as the 2nd photograph, but without the peacock herl. I tried to represent a damselfly nymph for fishing in lakes. Now I find that the pattern (as it usually turns out) is a standard one. I'll have to add the peacock to my next ties!

New Topic Add Reply