It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:15

New Topic Add Reply
Green Rock Worm
Post 14 Oct 2017, 16:22 • #1 
Master Guide
Green Rock Worm

Here's an example....Bob Jacklin catching a nice little one on a Green Rock Worm

In the video above Bob says he caught the fish on a "caddis nymph," but it was a Green Rock Worm (caddis larva). I've heard him say it in person. At several of his Spring fly tying seminars in the Bozeman area.

Last edited by pittendrigh on 14 Oct 2017, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Green Rock Worm
Post 14 Oct 2017, 16:36 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Great tie, neat video!

Post 14 Oct 2017, 17:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Sandy, how are you making this body on the needle? Using the flexible fabric glue to keep things together? The legs material also has me stumped. Thanks in advance for any help Sir!

Post 14 Oct 2017, 17:42 • #4 
Master Guide
RE> "how"

I need to learn now to make video. I am working on it.

Norm at Nor Vise has a video that got me headed this way. Norm makes a body on a spinning needle and then soaks it with clear water based head cement. That makes a hard stiff body. Aleene's Flexible Stretchable fabric cement makes a softer, permanently supple/flexible body..........that does not unravel.

I also use a thinner needle than Norm. I use a #10 beading needle. Available at sewing stores. Norm slides his body off the needle and THEN wets it with head cement. I put fabric cement on the body while still making it--while still on the needle.

Last edited by pittendrigh on 14 Oct 2017, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Oct 2017, 17:48 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
:D Thank you Sir!

Post 14 Oct 2017, 20:07 • #6 
Master Guide
How I do the legs is harder to explain. That really needs video.

I'll try. It's what I call the Right Hackle technique.
Leave the bobbin hanging from the eye. Hold a clump of fuzz underneath or on top of the fly, depending on how you want the "legs" to be placed, using one hand.

Let's say we're putting a Right Hackle underneath the wings of a floating mayfly pattern. Let's say the body and the wings are there already but not the hackle. A right hackle underneath the wings will be a bit like a crossbar of fibers splayed out from front to back, underneath.

If you tie a crossbar of fibers tightly with thread wraps the fibers will end up in a tight cylindrical bundle. Not splayed out.

So. With one hand you hold the fuzz fibers underneath the thorax area. Swing the bobbin underneath the fly from front to back, then up and over the body behind the rear of the wing. Now swing the bobbin down on the other side of the shank. The Right Hackle crossbar clump is already loosely kinda sorta tacked in place. Swing the bobbin down and forward to the eye, up and over the shank at the eye. Whip finish.

The Right Hackle crossbar is LOOSELY basted in place underneath the thorax area with a single long figure eight wrap. Pull on the fibers to adjust them this way and that, until they look right.

Now glue them in place. A drop of head cement will do. So will thinned-out fabric cement. So will varnish lacquer or CA glue.

Now it's done. Snow Shoe Rabbit's foot fibers and/or Zelon (or carpet scrap fibers) make good dry fly Right Hackles. Any number of softer hair or feather fibers make good wet fly Right Hackles.

I need to make video. For the Green Rock Worm above I made a Right Hackle with tan dubbing mixed with a few darker Flashabou-like plastic thingies.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 17:59 • #7 
Master Guide
This photo shows the underside of a Right Hackle, basted loosely in place with one figure eight wrap, then glued permanently after adjusting the fibers. In this case the glue was ZapAGap, but it can be almost anything.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 20:45 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for that photo! Not sure if you have posted a clear photo of that before, if so, I missed it. Gotta give this a shot this Winter - thanks again!

Post 24 Oct 2017, 13:49 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
nice pattern pitt .i have dabbled in this and still do using clear pure silicone and dubbing.i have this old vise with a fly wheel and crank and the vise is inline.i think they were made for making jigs .well thought out but the jaw design is crude and awkward.i use bigger needles .i wax the needle with dubbing wax,then smear on some silicone then spin the needle adding dubbing and silicone as needed keeping it smooth with my finger.makes a very smooth hollow body.bought the aileen's and am quite impressed with it,less messy and the fibers absorb it.the sili makes a nice damsel or dragon fly body as well as small worms.the aileen's is a much better product for smaller more buggy looking bodies as it absorbs into the fibers.a norvise is on my wish list

Post 24 Oct 2017, 16:12 • #10 
Guide
I'm pretty sure this is beyond my rudimentary tying skills, but I love the pattern and keep coming back for a look. The off-the-shelf- green rock worm is a go-to producer for me, usually drifted under (and typically out-producing) a dry. This takes it to another level. Thanks for posting.

Post 24 Oct 2017, 17:18 • #11 
Master Guide
RE> "off the shelf Green Rock Worm"

Indeed. I still tie the simpler straight shank ones too. Sometimes I tie the way I do just to keep my interest up, rather than the fish's.

Post 31 Oct 2017, 19:41 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Those rock worms vary A LOT in color in different regions and watersheds !

Pecos

Post 31 Oct 2017, 20:19 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
They also get fairly large in some streams as well.

Post 01 Nov 2017, 08:43 • #14 
Master Guide

New Topic Add Reply