It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:35

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Oct 2017, 15:50 • #1 
Sport
I'm going to the the plunge and begin tying my flies. Any thoughts on good-value vice? Definitely sub-$200. Around a hinder would be better. I have no delusions of tying for anyone else but myself, and for my own satisfaction. Are the vices that come it kits at Cabelas, Orvis, etc; poor choices in the long run? Has anyone owned an Anvil Made Atlas? I just saw that they are manufactured in my local area and it's nice to support the local guy when able. Any other recommendations? Thank you.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 16:16 • #2 
Sport
I would vote for the Peak Rotary Pedestal Base Vise, I have tied on one for many years and I am very happy with it. I like the really heavy base, and the jaws will hold a wide variety of hook sizes. And it is made in the US.
The finish is not as good as a Renzetti for example, but at 155 USD (at Cabelas) it is great value, and you could probably get an even better price if you wait for a sale.

I have handled the Anvil Atlas, but not tied on it. Seems like a solid choice as well, but I would still prefer the Peak.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 17:29 • #3 
Master Guide
I have a Renzetti Traveler that I've used for over 10 years and I love it. Never had a problem with it. I think it was around $150 when I purchased it, but that may not be the case today. Holds hooks rock solid and is full rotary. Good luck and I hope that tying your own flies brings you as much joy as it brings me. :)

David

Post 08 Oct 2017, 17:43 • #4 
Master Guide
The Atlas is a good solid vice, will be all the vice you need for most flies. That being said, I use a Renzetti Traveler that I've owned for over twenty years and can't imagine not having a rotary vice.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 18:47 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Regal standard jaws c-clamp. I tied on one for 30+ years and it ties from 3/0 tarpon down to 20 midges. Not rotary, but that was never needed until they wanted to sell for $$$$

Post 08 Oct 2017, 19:50 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
You've opened a can of worms.

I side with jhuskey. Regal. But the question is are you going to dive into rotary tying or not. (If so, look at the Renzetti Traveler)

I have both a Regal and Renzetti Traveler, but I haven't been able to master the rotary thing yet. And the Regal is way to easy. Sqeeze, put your hook in, release. No adjustment of the jaws. You just have to make sure the hook is fully in the jaws.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 20:44 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
You can tie a lot of good flies on a $20 Thompson “A” knock off. If you don’t like tying, you only have $20 in the vise. If you do, it will probably take awhile for you to realize the limitations of a simple vise and move to a rotary or similar. These are the kind of vises that come in kits.

I started with a kit but that was in the days before YouTube and most of the online stuff, so I progressed from a wooly worm to a really ugly Wulf in slow steps. YouTube can be your friend, so can having the opportunity to watch and question good tiers at a local club or fly shop.

Enjoy it, its a way to stay involved in fishing when the weather or circumstances are trashed. It also lets you tie patterns and colors of patterns that you can’t buy but are best suited for the waters you are fishing.

Post 09 Oct 2017, 02:11 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I started with an EZ Rotary Vise. They retail for $70, but Cabelas was having a sale so I got mine for $50 or so. Worked pretty well, though the two-thumbscrew clamp mechanism is a bit slow. That is OK, I was just learning how to do basic things, and being able to rotate the vice is a nice feature. After about six months I got an HMH SX, which I really like.

Post 09 Oct 2017, 05:09 • #9 
Master Guide
The Griffin 1A is an excellent vise. It looks like it runs less than $70. The adjustment isn't as quick as the Regal but it holds hooks rock solid. The price difference can buy you a lot of tying material and hooks.

Post 09 Oct 2017, 06:14 • #10 
Sport
Thank you everyone, for the solid advice. Hopefully I have more success tying than I do catching!

My nature is to buy cheap, then replace it once it breaks, spending as much or more than if I'd bought quality the first time. I'm trying to resist that. I also don't need top of the line. I think you guys have made a lot of great suggestions and I'd do well with anything listed above. I'm still pretty ignorant on the subject, but I think i would prefer a rotary vice.

Post 09 Oct 2017, 06:16 • #11 
Sport
I've read many solid reviews on the Griffin, Atlas, Renzetti. I need to look into the Peak and Regal. I think the Regal is more than I want to spend. The Renzetti as well.

Post 09 Oct 2017, 09:34 • #12 
Master Guide
I have a Regal C clamp base vise I paid $30 for on sale. I have had it about 5 years thus far and no issues. I regularly switch betqeen size 18-10 nymphs and size 4 to 2/0 streamers. Only with the thickest hooks do I wish I had more clamping pressure.

Its an inexpensive vise that has zero features BUT it works. And the money I have saved thus far resisting purchasing a $200-400 vice goes toward materials, hooks, rods and other stuff my wife has no clue about ;)

Post 09 Oct 2017, 19:04 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Since you are on a budget, I'd try the Danica rotary vise, the best of the low cost rotary vises. You probably won't even use the rotary function, but it 's nice to have the option, at least it gives you opportunity to try the function. Cost is around $100, has all the bells and whistles of more expensive vises. Unfortunately I can't give first hand experience, I tie on an Atlas and Renzetti, started on a Thompson. However, reviews are very positive even with it's usage of many delrin parts.
After you grow into the addiction of tying, some time in the future one can always upgrade to one of the "premium" vises.
Respectfully rvreclus

Post 09 Oct 2017, 22:26 • #14 
Master Guide
I've been tying with my Danica/Danvise since 2001. It has a bit of finish loss at the tip and is otherwise unblemished. It can be a bit of a bother tying flies which have a long tail unless you purchase the optional extension. I haven't needed the extension so far.

It is important to follow the instructions on tightening the screw and throwing the cam. Throwing the cam causes a greater increase in pressure for this vise than for most. Forcing the cam when the screw has been tightened too much
can cause the tips to spread and break something. User failure to follow instructions seems to be the cause of the vast majority of issues people have had with the Danvise.

Post 10 Oct 2017, 07:12 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
To learn anything right, crawl before you walk and walk before you run. If you are new to virtually any activity, fly tying or other, concentrate on the techniques, not tools. A simple vice that holds the hook firmly is all that is needed--the old standard Thompson A or a copy being good examples. The "better" vices have "features" that you don't need, and the money would be better spent on materials and secondary tools. Speed and long-term durability for volume production is built in to the top end rotary vices. You will never need either one, unless you want to multiply routine beginner's faults in tying. When you have to put more attention into using the tool than into technique of tying the fly, it is the wrong tool.

Post 10 Oct 2017, 13:45 • #16 
Master Guide
............it's important to realize and remember: fly tying is not about saving money. It's just the opposite in fact. It's about having fun. For those who are inventors rather than purists it's also about having better flies everybody else, because--as an inventor--you the only one.

Post 10 Oct 2017, 14:41 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Regal, it won't break and you'll never want for another.

Post 10 Oct 2017, 15:54 • #18 
Master Guide
Just read a great post of beginning fly tying over at Gink & Gasoline. You can find it here:

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-gas ... eginnings/

Post 13 Oct 2017, 22:09 • #19 
Guide
i would go for a thompson model A or a knockoff thereof.

even if you replace it,they come in handy for drying flies that you epoxy or cement,or for travel,etc.

my wife,who is a much better tyer than I ,swears by them.

Post 14 Oct 2017, 07:42 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
shakeylee wrote:
even if you replace it,they come in handy for drying flies that you epoxy or cement,or for travel,etc.

That’s a really good point.

Myself have had both the Atlas and Peak. I kept the Peak and really like it. [/color]

Post 16 Oct 2017, 14:14 • #21 
Sport
My two cents......I started my tying on a BPS Crown vise, it's a Regal knock off $49. Not a true rotary but does revolve. I like the spring lever clamping style of the jaws, and with the money you save you could invest in quality tools like scissors and such. I’ve moved on to a Regal but the Crown is still going strong and I use on occasion.

Post 17 Oct 2017, 09:35 • #22 
Guide
SCSkunkape wrote:
Has anyone owned an Anvil Made Atlas? I just saw that they are manufactured in my local area and it's nice to support the local guy when able. Any other recommendations?

FYI there's a review of that vice here...
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Revie ... _Atlas.htm

Also reviews of many others.
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Revie ... ot-Out.htm

Post 17 Oct 2017, 09:55 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
jimbofish wrote:
SCSkunkape wrote:
Has anyone owned an Anvil Made Atlas? I just saw that they are manufactured in my local area and it's nice to support the local guy when able. Any other recommendations?

FYI there's a review of that vice here...
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Revie ... _Atlas.htm

Also reviews of many others.
http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Revie ... ot-Out.htm

I really enjoy their reviews, and it was super helpful to me. I also happened across this video while looking at vises -

He kind of compares vises to cars, some extra dry humor there :)

Post 17 Oct 2017, 13:49 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
To emphasize the advice on going simple when starting out, here's the vise I used as a kid. It's about as basic as can be, bears no trademark or other identification anywhere, but I tied quite a few flies on it. My uncle gave me a Thompson, but for some reason I no longer have it.

If anyone can identify it, please chime in.

Post 17 Oct 2017, 15:17 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
dont recognize that one. but after 30 plus years i still tie on a Thompson A vise. primitive? maybe. minimalist, yep. but it does what i need it to.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply