It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:34

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Oct 2017, 18:28 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
jhuskey wrote:
Regal standard jaws c-clamp. I tied on one for 30+ years and it ties from 3/0 tarpon down to 20 midges. Not rotary, but that was never needed until they wanted to sell for $$$$

that's what I've got, been my only vice (well, fly-tying vice ;-) since 1992.. ties flies from 4/0 streamer beasts to #24 midges, works beautifully on them all, no adjustments needed ever, fast and sure grip.
I have a vague desire to upgrade to a rotary Regal but never really felt the lack that keenly.
The Regal Inex is $150 and rotary, that's what I'd buy if I was buying.

Look carefully at any vise and count the number of adjustments you'll have to make whenever changing a hook size. Each of those adjustments can go wrong, too.. my cheap Model-A knockoff vise took about five minutes to adjust to a new hook size, so that it would hold the hook firmly and not crush/snap it. With the Regal you just put the new hook in and start tying.

Post 21 Oct 2017, 14:46 • #27 
Sport
My Regal spit a hook and the jaws shattered. Yes, I clearly was at fault (must have put the #20 dry fly hook in slightly too far toward the edge), but it's a shame that a single (and quite easy to make) mistake results in a very expensive repair. That just counts as a poor design for me. When I saw the projected bill from Regal to replace the jaws (plus postage both ways), I tossed the whole thing in the trash. No problems after switching to an HMH, which I fully expect to be the last vise I'll ever buy. Yes, it does require an adjustment to the cam when making a large change in hook size, but after a bit of experience this becomes automatic and not something I consciously think about anymore.

Post 05 Nov 2017, 22:19 • #28 
Guide
I'm kind of late to this party, but I went with a Wolff Atlas vise (formerly known as Anvil) almost 2 years ago. I was coming from a Griffin 2A. Did you make your decision yet? I picked mine up for around $125 new, plus $12 more for a bobbin cradle created and offered by the seller. It's a good vise. If you didn't want rotary, i think the Apex would be a good decision too. And of course the simpler Griffin 2A is a great vise that'll last for years and do double duty as a travel vise in the C-clamp version. I tie trout and bass flies from 20 to 2/0, and the base is very stable.

eric
fresno, ca.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 07:04 • #29 
Sport
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've not really made a decision yet, as I've been looking into all of the great options that you and others have suggested. I am loving the Regal, as many have added to my list, and it's currently in the lead. The Peak is also a strong candidate, based on perceived value. In truth, I'm not sure if I "need" the rotary features as much as I may have thought.
To test the waters, I purchased an incredibly cheap vise and some materials, to see if this is something that I enjoy. Now I'm pretty hooked (no pun, I'm no witty enough). My 7-year-old son and I have enjoyed a number of priceless rainy afternoons tying together. It's a blast, even with a vise that poorly holds the hook.
So, my plan is to pay my dues learning on this vise, while I watch for the right deal on another vise. I'm watching for a Regal.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 09:10 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
that's a good plan. you will do well to begin with a simple vise.
i still use the Thompson A vise. you can upgrade if and when you feel the need.

Post 06 Dec 2017, 15:01 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
I just started a year ago, and decided I like going vintage and basic to learn. I bought a nice used Thompson A on the auction site and I have been learning on that and thinking I could watch for a sale or deal to trade up...I will admit that I am not a great tyier but I haven't run into the need to upgrade and the Thompson has worked for every fly I have wanted to tie. I don't anticipate getting into bass bugs and the beautiful deer hair ties, so I don't anticipate needing anything more thant the Thompson for the foreseeable future.

Good luck on your journey

Post 06 Dec 2017, 17:53 • #32 
Master Guide
We were all rookies at some point. I started with a Thompson Model Something, at age 12. In the 7th grade. That vise served me well at first but it was worn out by the time I was off to college, which for what it isn't worth didn't last long then. Anyway the Thompson's cam lock mechanism got worn down and bent and distorted eventually so it was hard to get a good grip on certain hook sizes and hard to flip it up to loose again. I can't remember what I replaced it with.

So anyway I did get a good 7 years out of that first Thompson vise. And I still have the vice. 58 years later.

Post 06 Dec 2017, 20:15 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
i used a regal knock off for years.guy at a now closed tackle store kind of made me think it was a regal.it is starting to get loose but i still use it for big flies.they will hold any size fly without adjustment.the cheap thompson type vise i started on was really frustrating as hooks wood fall out in the middle of tying and other disasters.being a tradesman ,buy the best damn tools you can.not the most expensive.life is too short to have someone else's shoddy work impair your work.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 02:05 • #34 
Guide
I've tied size 24 midges to 2/0 bass flies on the Thompson copy kit vise I have. Just upgraded to a cheap rotary vise. Other than wrapping things on your fly with the rotary function, the appeal for me is to be able to see the far side of the fly without crooking over the vise, specially for big streamers with composite loops that need plucking and brushing out.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 09:28 • #35 
Piscator
I have to agree with the approach of not buying a fly tying kit.
Instead, buy good tools and materials you need to tackle your first several fly patterns. One good cape, make it grizzly.
As your challenges and skills increase, you'll find the need for new tools and more materials, and eventually you'll be looking for places to store them. No sense cluttering up with a a lot of mediocre tools and materials you may never use.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 11:56 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
Admittedly I don't tie a lot of flies. I started with a cheap knock-off of a Thompson that I found at Cabela's. It was a disaster. After looking at a lot of different vices in catalogs, I liked the Regal design, but balked at the price since I don't do that much tying. While at Bass Pro one day I found their Regal knock-off, made by Crown in India. I bought it and have had no gripes. It does the job for me, seems quite durable, and is very easy to use. Like I said, I don't tie a lot of flies every year, but for my purposes it works fine.

Larry

Post 07 Dec 2017, 12:16 • #37 
Guide
I've been using a Thompson A for 45 years. I'm no artist, but the flies I tie catch fish. I'm with I'm with picketpin52.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 12:29 • #38 
Guide
I've had an Atlas, but changed it. Great vise, nothing wrong with it, but i wanted a different vise and had the means to do so.
I have a regal with two different heads. Great for big hooks (the traditional head) and smaller hooks <#14 with the midge head. got a pedestal with mine.
I also have a Cottarelli for presentation flies.

Best advice i can give you - go to a fly shop, ask to try a couple - you get a free tying lesson at the same time if you say you're new to tying.
Find what you like to use, Regal, Renzetti, Anvil, whatever they have - test them out and but the one you like the most.

Post 27 Dec 2017, 22:24 • #39 
Emeritus
In my opinion, the Regal is by far the best vice for beginners.
I started with a regal, and I also tied on a regal when I was tying 10 dozen a day commercially and guiding.
I like the c clamp version.

Post 29 Dec 2017, 07:56 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Thompson A has done from 2/0 to 24 and is still going after 40 years. I have never seen any advantage in a rotary. I did make a heavy maple base and a gas pipe pedestal for the Thomson not long after I got it. As the kids got older I bought a Sunrise AA, India copy of the A for them to use, think it was sold as Universal Vise, it is still very good too.
Whrpool said it better than I could. Start with basics. Work on skills not tools.

Post 30 Dec 2017, 14:09 • #41 
Sport
Another Thompson A fan here. I've got two, a pedestal base and a c-clamp. The pedestal base vise came with three sets of jaws, midge, standard and saltwater so I can handle 28's to about 4/0. I've also got a prototype rotary that I bought from Ed Koch when he had his fly shop in Boiling Springs, PA back in the early 70's, very primitive but works like a charm and kind of special because of who I bought it from.

Post 09 Mar 2018, 09:07 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
Tomah wrote:
To emphasize the advice on going simple when starting out, here's the vise I used as a kid. It's about as basic as can be, bears no trademark or other identification anywhere, but I tied quite a few flies on it. My uncle gave me a Thompson, but for some reason I no longer have it.

If anyone can identify it, please chime in.

Went searching for vise information and found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynfj01c4RSw

Apparently I have a Thompson model "Special C" which is good for large hooks and also quite rare. Or, it's a copy (since it bears no Thompson marks). I intend to take it to a tying class I'm signed up for, and if it works it'll change my focus for a new vise, toward one with jaws sized for smaller trout hooks. I can use the old Thompson for pike flies etc.

Post 09 Mar 2018, 11:21 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
Like a lot of others apparently, I started with a Thompson I borrowed from a friend. I now have a Regal clamp vise with two different heads and an HMH clamp with the fine or midge head. I like the simplicity and functionality of the Regal. Can’t recall the last time I used the HMH. Currently tying Tricos down to 22’s with the Regal.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply