It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:10

New Topic Add Reply
Barracuda Flies?
Post 24 Sep 2017, 19:35 • #1 
Sport
Looking for some pictures and pattern recipes for barracuda flies. I have done throuogh searches on Google, etc but have not found anything very impressive. Thanks if you can help.

Re: Barracuda Flies?
Post 25 Sep 2017, 06:33 • #2 
Master Guide
Here's is one suggestion. They are tied on thin plastic tubes using generic braided pearl tubing from the craft store (very similar to EZ body, but without side 'spines'.) Pre-rigged, around 7" long:

Post 25 Sep 2017, 07:43 • #3 
Sport
Thanks for the suggestion. I frequently visit Hobby Lobby and didn't know the carried this material.

Post 12 Oct 2017, 17:51 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
http://midcurrent.com/techniques/how-to ... barracuda/

is the best article I've seen on the subject.. their fly is the Waterwolf which seems to be just a tube of mylar with two hooks and the hook connector inside the tube as well. Some eyes and flash on the front hook, a tail of frayed mylar behind the second hook - tie off mylar 2" behind second hook then fray the rest for 1-2".
So, a lot like musicar's fly..

got skunked in the Keys on barracuda, ignored what I had. That was a two-hook bucktail with plenty of flash in assorted colors.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 18:37 • #5 
Guide
This is one of mine called Freight Train. Basically a scaled up, super sized, unweighted, pelagic version of the Fury Minnow. Size 2/0 to 6/0. The pattern is pretty straight forward, what you see is what you get. Chennile, marabou, 4 blue saddle hackle, and krystal flash. I've used it in the past to great effect, not just for cuda, but also tarpon, bluefish, yellowtail, cobia, and a bunch of other stuff I cant remember right now.
Another one of mine, Sledge Hammer. Similar to the Freight Train, but tied on a short, wide gap, heavy wire hook. It's heavily weighted with lead or tungsten wire to go deep as fast as possible. On this one the hackle is replaced with flashabou. This is a good one for when cuda go deep, around wrecks and other structure and can be vertically jigged very effectively.

Post 27 Dec 2017, 22:25 • #6 
Emeritus
I catch all my cudas on a large Bobs Banger (popper)
I tie it with an extra long tail of Icelandic sheep

New Topic Add Reply