It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:26

New Topic Add Reply
Ducktail Mayfly
Post 24 Jun 2017, 09:55 • #1 
Master Guide
#22 DaiRiki 125 scud hook
Mount the tip of a duck flank feather off the rear end so it forms an abdomen-like tail. Pull the stem end of the duck flank feather up at mid-shank. Tie it off so it stands straight up with some horizontal parachute like wraps.

Pull up on the stem with one hand while working the tip of an exacto knife with the other. Poke the tip of the exacto knife into the feather fibers, at the base of the wing (the butt of the feather).

Twist the blade slightly so it faces into the stem. Pull it up so it cuts all the feather fibers away from the stem. Repeat on the other side of the feather stem. Cut the stem away. Shape the wing.

Add a tad of dubbing at the base of the wing.

Leave thread hanging from the eye. Hold a clump of Zelon or any carpet scraps under the hook at right angles to the shank. Pull it up and out of the way momentarily, so the "Right Hackles" surround the wing.

Swing the thread back to the base of the abdomen. Go under the abdomen tail and forward to the eye. Whip finish. Pull the hackle fibers down and stroke them out with a tooth brush so they point out sideways again, at right angles to the shank. Put a drop of glue at the fulcrum of the Right Hackle. Trim the hackle.

Add a touch of fabric cement at the tip of the abdomen fibers and stroke them out to a point. It doesn't take much. Set it aside and wait 20 minutes for the fabric cement to cure.

Done. I had to say a lot because the procedure is so different. But it isn't much. For small mayfly dry flies they're fast and easy. Simple.

The simplicity (not winding a rooster feather onto a tiny hook) makes these ideal for the smallest PMD and Baetis mayfly imitations. But you can make big Drakes too.

Dry off quickly. Land lightly. Float like a mayfly. Sting like a hook.

Re: Ducktail Mayfly
Post 24 Jun 2017, 10:24 • #2 
Master Guide

Post 25 Jun 2017, 08:33 • #3 
Master Guide

Post 25 Jun 2017, 09:08 • #4 
Guide
Check out Harry Darbees " one feather fly "

Post 25 Jun 2017, 11:29 • #5 
Master Guide
I see Google links to Harry Darby's "two feather fly"

The one above is three materials:
One duck flank feather forms both abdomen and wings
A bit of dubbing forms a thorax around the base of the wing
A clump of Zelon or simple carpet scraps forms a horizontal Right Hackle, underneath the thorax.

I do put a micro-dab of Aleene's Flexible Stretchable fabric cement at the tip end of the abdomen and then stroke it out to a point, with a needle. But that last part isn't really necessary.

Hmmmmm. I like the Harry Darby fly. Mine has a horizontal hackle placed underneath the thorax, so it sits low to the water. Harry's has a traditional wound rooster hackle which raises it up a bit. That's the main difference I think.

Post 05 Jul 2017, 09:27 • #6 
Master Guide
Green Drake

Post 06 Jul 2017, 08:59 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Very interesting technique ! I saw a mayfly hatch in Lassen Volcanic National Park about the time the original post was made, while visiting a lake on the east side. Unfortunately no fish that I could see there, but it was a nice hike.

Post 06 Jul 2017, 14:31 • #8 
Master Guide
High altitude lake fish are quirky. I know one lake where I've been skunked a half a dozen times, where once a bunch of brook trout were schooled up sipping midges. Eating everything I threw at them.

Post 08 Jul 2017, 11:38 • #9 
Inactive
I really like this pattern. Very cool!

Post 16 Jul 2017, 11:05 • #10 
Master Guide

Post 01 Aug 2017, 14:00 • #11 
Master Guide
....better pic?

Post 01 Aug 2017, 16:32 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I like the last pic -- not sure what the difference is to fish, and all the factors like roughness of the water, how well the fish have been feeding, abundance of naturals, etc. but the aesthetics of a fly to human eyes are half the fun :)

edit: I see at 100 posts I am now a "Guide". This is news to me :)

Post 01 Aug 2017, 17:15 • #13 
Master Guide
RE> "difference to the fish"

;=))

I'm not sure there is any difference to the fish.

They're mostly fun to tie but they do cast well land gently float well and dry off quickly. And I like the way they look.

If it's all the same to the fish (no worse than other flies in terms of attracting strikes) then attributes like "I like the way they look" begin to make a positive difference.........albeit a small difference. But what the hell. We do what we do when we do it.

Post 01 Aug 2017, 17:54 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Simply awesome mayfly patterns Sandy!!! Your tying and imagination moves the needle, and has for years. All will never buy in, and that has not changed for hundreds of years. Thanks for sharing with us.

Post 02 Aug 2017, 17:28 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
finally broke out the ailleen's fabric cement pitt.nice stuff.just kind of screwing around with it waiting for paint to dry on bass bugs. just spun some dubbing on a needle and worked some in.made nice little tapered extended bodies.dog days here and daybreak bass are about all that is worth chasing right now.

Post 02 Aug 2017, 18:12 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
jhuskey wrote:
Simply awesome mayfly patterns Sandy!!! Your tying and imagination moves the needle, and has for years. All will never buy in, and that has not changed for hundreds of years. Thanks for sharing with us.

YES!

Post 03 Aug 2017, 07:52 • #17 
Master Guide
FWIW Aleene's makes at least two fabric cements, maybe three. Flexible Stretchable is a brand name and it is ...... softer, gooeyer, and more rubber band like. You can thin it with water.

Last edited by pittendrigh on 05 Aug 2017, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

Post 06 Aug 2017, 15:22 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
i got the 3 pack and like the flex stretch the best so far.

Post 06 Aug 2017, 17:37 • #19 
Master Guide
:=))

New Topic Add Reply