It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:59

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: So how did I do
Post 25 Jul 2017, 13:39 • #26 
Guide
Thanks everyone, it was a great feeling to have a fish on the other end of that line knowing I had at least tied good enough to fool one fish in the sea!

Post 09 Aug 2017, 10:10 • #27 
Sport
One thing I like Paul is that you've resisted the temptation of most of new tyers and kept the dressing simple and light. Bob Clouser used to stress this in his videos and books and articles. Most of us want to load as much material as we can get thread around and keep on the hook. This light dressing with the eyes back about where they were in your first pic gives that rocking and pulsing effect that has made his fly a universal fish catcher rivaled only by possibly the Wooly Bugger. From bottom dredging tungsten eyes to suspending bead chain eyes it's a fish catching machine.

Post 09 Aug 2017, 11:00 • #28 
Master Guide
Great Job, that's what it's all about! So does a flounder fight pretty well, I imagine it digs

Never caught one, new to me. That's pretty neat.

My son, was just with Bobby Clouser jr. a couple wks ago learning to tie the clouser minnow. He was great with my little boy..BASSMAN was spot on , using less material, stressing to put more hair on the bottom of the fly when it's in your vise, so the fly flips and rides the proper way.
That looks like a pretty darn good fly there, great job.

Post 09 Aug 2017, 22:10 • #29 
Paul
Excellent work on the Clouser for just starting. You got it right while most overdress. Do yourself a favor and save several of your first flies. Date them and put them in a box and when you feel like your are making progress in the art go back and look over your first few flies. You will enjoy your progress.
Even long time tiers need to make a few copies of something new to them to "get it right." A new type of fly that you have never tied usually means you are dealing with new materials and new proportions.

That's why its fun. Welcome to tying, second only to fishing!

Post 10 Aug 2017, 19:29 • #30 
Guide
Mtnbrook
No they do not fight hard at all. They pull for about 3 seconds then they are just weight on the end of the line. I caught one that went almost 16" good eating size and never even thought about putting him on the reel. A seatrout caught in the surf pulls much harder and a ladyfish puts on a great jumping show that earns it the title of poor mans tarpon.

Paden
Thanks, yes I have saved a few flies. I have always done this, if I catch a significant fish (first trout over 20", first saltwater fish on fly, etc) I save the fly. I've done the same with flies I tied. Small collection all dated with what the significance is. I do the same thing with bullet casings for deer or shotgun shells for turkey. Date them and engrave buck or doe, weight, antlers. I hope my kids will love the outdoors as much as me and find my collection of junk interesting.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply