It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:26

New Topic Add Reply
Jigtastic! Bass Jigs!
Post 14 Jun 2017, 16:27 • #1 
Sport
I think one of the most overlooked tying opportunities when it come to bass, bluegill, carp, etc is tying on a jig style hook. I've had good success in recent years with an 8wt and my reaper/crayfish style jig. This is a 1/0 hook with a 3/16 head.

I recently tied few hundred of these. PM me with questions.

ImageImageImageImage

Post 16 Jun 2017, 21:40 • #2 
Guide
I would bet that redfish and speckled trout would hit these fly jigs too.

I think that many fly fisherman feel they are about to cross the line of jigs heavy enough that a spinning rod can cast.

Post 25 Jul 2017, 00:18 • #3 
Sport
Man, I'm tired of seeing that photobucket odometer circle telling you you've violated their rules that they never had when we loaded all our stuff on there promised 3rd party (forum) hosting. >:

Post 26 Jul 2017, 00:35 • #4 
Master Guide
Imgur is a good photbucket alternative. Easy to use.

Post 01 Aug 2017, 01:37 • #5 
Sport
These aren't exactly bass jigs, though I've done a ton of those over the years, but 60 degree barbless jig hooks from size 10 down to size18. Couple of other ones to fill the box. I like these in front of unweighted nymphs or soft hackles to work down into holes or the smaller sizes by themselves. Panfish love them and an occasional bass will inhale it, usually way to deep.

Post 01 Aug 2017, 06:43 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
you can catch almost anything on a jig fly. It is a very versatile fly. You can fish it on a dropper rig; under a strike indicator, or you can just cast it out and bounce it back. I've caught bass up to 6 pounds, brim, drum, catfish, white bass, yellow bass, etc. as well as trout. I caught a 24 inch rainbow on the 1/80 oz jigfly by casting downstream and bouncing it thru the strike zone. Very versatile-p-

Post 01 Aug 2017, 09:20 • #7 
Sport
You are right about the ultimate versatility. It's hard for me not to love them when my very first cast with a jig on a lake in WI got about 3' of musky. Had been talked into picking up some Doll Flies, got to the Island we were going to camp on, one cast and bang, I was hooked, and that was about 55 years ago. Since then, like you, I've caught about every fish in the fresh waters I've fished with a jig of some kind. I don't mean all the fish I've caught but mean the variety of fish like you've mentioned.

Post 01 Aug 2017, 11:12 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
3/16 is getting pretty heavy to be whizzing past my head.had a balsa bug about sz 2 and leader wrap around my neck this morning when a gust caught the line on a forward cast.i use tons of the flyjigs but at some point ,say over 1/80 it belongs on a spinning rod IMHO

Post 01 Aug 2017, 17:49 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
#1/0 hook and 3/16 oz jig hook/fly.... "duck you sucker" (Coburn/Bronson Western)

I can see a smaller jig fly working better on a fly rod... just need to be more patient and fish slower/shallower. Big stuff is not for me anymore after rotator cuff redo.

Post 01 Aug 2017, 20:16 • #10 
Sport
There's a point where fly rod jigs become light spinning jigs. I know that getting clunked in the back of the head with a tungsten wooly bugger at about 80 mph the fly is moving past you can smart, even with a hat. Lots of guys flat refuse to fish beaded flies with their bamboo since a jig can put a hurt on any rod but invisible repairs on bamboo definitely lower value, and hits at just the right angle can crack glass or graphite so it shatters on next nice fish.

I don't know what my heaviest jigs or Czech nymphs weigh but I know I fish them on a short line and cast at a 45 degree angle or Belgium cast.

New Topic Add Reply