It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:09

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply

How much do you spend on flies per year?
Less than $50 on pre-tied flies 18%  18%  [ 23 ]
$50 to $100 on pre-tied flies 9%  9%  [ 12 ]
More than $100 on pre-tied flies 7%  7%  [ 9 ]
Less than $50 tying my own 15%  15%  [ 19 ]
$50-$100 tying my own 20%  20%  [ 26 ]
More than $100 tying my own 30%  30%  [ 39 ]
Total votes : 128
Re: How much $ per year?
Post 22 Jun 2017, 08:20 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Biggest part of my money goes for hooks and beads around 150.00 a year.I tie size 22 to 14.I spend about 50.00 buying foam hoppers and streamers......aurelio

Post 30 Jun 2017, 14:35 • #27 
Guide
The way I see it my heirs can actually use my tying stuff.

Post 03 Jul 2017, 09:15 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
I don't really think about how much I spend on tying materials, I just like fishing with flies I've tied myself.

When I drop into any of the local fly shops, I'll drop a little bit of coin on certain dry flies, but that's about it.

Post 03 Jul 2017, 14:14 • #29 
Master Guide
Next to nothing. I just pilfer Rodney Bo's boxes when we fish together :rollin

Post 09 Jul 2017, 15:28 • #30 
Guide
I tie for my old man and myself. I'm hoarding a small stash I inherited from a local who passed his widow let me buy it all for 20$ but I had to remove it right than. I took his whole tying room anf stuffed it into my 68vw bus. And it really helped me improve my tying skills having someone who tied before me who had organised and amassed gobs of great materials. I only buy hooks and synthetics cuz this unknown man hooked me up in his death more than any blessing I could have asked for. I guess what I am saying is amass a collection so this thing called fly tying can propriat in the generations to come.

Post 09 Jul 2017, 17:49 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
It's not wise to answer that question. I spend NOTHING for tying materials and only buy a rod, reel, line, or rod building stuff when the HOME GENERAL raves about how much money she saved at this fantastic shoe sale!!!!!-p-

Post 10 Jul 2017, 09:36 • #32 
Piscator
Two approaches to fly tying - necessity and relaxation. I'm a hand-to-mouth fly tier and motivated by the former. My buddy Mick is the latter - he ties flies for fun and will never utilize the stacks of filled fly boxes. He has probably devised a way to keep them out of his wife's sight, as he did with rod tube racks.
He jokes (partly) that when he took up fly tying and inventoried his first full fly box, it only cost him $115/fly. He never did that math again.

Post 10 Jul 2017, 19:14 • #33 
I don't spend more than $50 per year because I have all the material I can conceive of ever using. I enjoy tying classic flies primarily for relaxation, though I wish I had more opportunity to lose them. :)

Post 11 Jul 2017, 10:51 • #34 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
He jokes (partly) that when he took up fly tying and inventoried his first full fly box, it only cost him $115/fly. He never did that math again.

It's probably more like manufacturing integrated circuits, though, The first one costs millions, after that each costs about a nickel.

It was probably more like $115 per fly for the first one of each pattern; after that each was almost free, except for labor.

Post 11 Jul 2017, 12:39 • #35 
Piscator
You don't now Mick - his natural excess probably doesn't fit anyone else's model.
Think estate with a pool house big enough to live in, and that filled with fly tying and rod tube racks - and likely beyond imagining.
I'm sure he has many rods that he's never fished (and probably never will since discovering cane).
He's the guy I get to point to when "how much stuff" comes up.

Post 18 Jul 2017, 19:09 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
picketpin52 wrote:
after tying for 40 yrs there isnt much i need in materials, and if i dont have it there are substitutes that work for many materials.

this, mostly. Pretty much the only new materials I buy are hardware like hooks and beads, or materials that are entirely new to flytying.. the sculpin heads, barred rubber legs, etc.
Saved some deer and elk hair from the animals my son hunted, so I'm good there ;-)
and all the pheasant feathers I'll ever need from my own hunting.
Salvage of fur & feathers found while hunting/fishing/hiking adds to the stockpile.

Post 16 Sep 2017, 15:45 • #37 
Guide
I find that when I am tying my flies, I become a much more successful fisherman...."This one is a sure thing" - "I can just see it happening-wham!" - "They won't be able to resist this one" etc etc.....and then when I get on the water, reality strikes (more so than the fish), and I go back home and start tying some more flies that will surely get them the next time :lol

Post 08 Oct 2017, 08:16 • #38 
Guide
I need to replenish thread and hooks annually. So $50 to $100 in hooks, depending on if I buy bulk or at the local shop. But I have stockpiled so much tying material over the years I really don't need to buy anything. Of course I still do buy stuff. I really enjoy tying.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 09:12 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
This math works until you start trying to tie a new fly or for new fish. I've got more size 16-18 hackle than I could every use because that is what I used to need the most of. Now, I need warm water material, so my bucktails and obnoxiously colored feathers are growing.

Then there is the cost of dropping in to Michaels crafts and picking up yarn or some neat new glue that supposedly does wonders.

My costs are still relatively cheap, since I just tie to fill my boxes for fishing and I'm not even successful at that.

Whatever you do, don't start rod-building. It makes tying look cheap.

Post 11 Oct 2017, 18:33 • #40 
Guide
Typically I spend $250. + every year on tying materials. I tie ALOT of flies! Of course I tie all of my own, but I also tie a large percentage of the flies my brother uses. Plus I'm always developing new patterns for my fly tying books. On top of that, I have 3 young kids at home that tie their own flies, and a 4th that wants to learn. Most of my money goes to hooks and thread, but I have been spending a lot more money then usual the last couple of years replacing old materials with fresh stuff.

Funny thing is, for as much time as I spend on the water, pretty much every day April through October , I've only fished 3 fly patterns all year. Just lucky I guess :)

Post 12 Oct 2017, 19:24 • #41 
Sport
I answered more than $100. Now I am not so sure it is that much. I have been tying for maybe 7 years, and I enjoy it am passionate about it and do it often. I also enjoy spending the afternoon driving to the fly shop which is about 40 minutes away. Listen to a Grateful Dead show and buy something that I probably thought I needed, and then some other stuff that I am pretty sure I didn't need. Well this is a long way of saying I really don't need much anymore, so I don't spend as much.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply