It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:40

New Topic Add Reply
Favorite Popper recipes?
Post 26 Apr 2017, 08:41 • #1 
Master Guide
With spring upon us & summer around the corner it's time for poppers.
What's your favorite popper recipe?

I know we have some masterful artists on this forum & then those (like me) who can tie some feathers on a hook & glue on a piece of foam from an old flip flop (no kidding) & color in the eyes with a sharpie.
Here are some pics of my Flip-Flop Poppers. (I admit, I do kinda like the name.)

This is my first ever attempt at tying poppers (which is clearly obvious when you see the photos). :-).
Any favorite simple popper designs you like as a popper-tying novice? Any favorite complex designs?
Thanks

Post 27 Apr 2017, 09:34 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice, I will have to try that ! Even I might be able to manage :)

In the meantime I've been having fun with gurglers.

Experimenting with different kinds of tails (marabou and bucktail); with enough foam I guess either works. Have not actually tried the ones with rubber legs vs. hackle yet.

I found a recipe for the black ones (with hackle instead of rubber legs) here, called a lizard gurgler -
Code:
https://www.excellentadventures.org/Excellent%20Adventures/lizard%20guglar.htm

The Allen B200 bass hooks have been working for me, though I suspect I could probably get away with streamer hooks too.

Post 07 May 2017, 19:47 • #3 
Master Guide
Well, the test results are in.... Who knew I would ever be able to honestly say I can catch fish with a flip flop??

Seriously though, beautiful day in the Texas Hill Country fishing a beloved Garcia-Conolon 4-star 7&7 on the upper Nueces river. Bass were few & far between, but the perch wore me out. Literally, physically tired from catching so many. But smiling all the way..

Post 08 May 2017, 09:44 • #4 
Master Guide
Here's another way to use a flip-flop. We call then Flopper Poppers for obvious reasons. Quick & simple tie but highly effective for black bass. Jim

Post 08 May 2017, 11:26 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
ImageImagei do well with these types of bugs.quick and simple.sheet foam and various punches.i prefer wine corks and balsa for bigger bass bugs.

Post 21 May 2017, 15:00 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I am always surprised to see poppers w/o weed guards. Are you fishing open water?? I tend to fish in the salad, and wo a guard it gets frustrating fast.

Post 21 May 2017, 17:33 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
all my bass flies have weed guards,these little ones for blue gills mainly i try to cast into the little pockets in the weed mats.a quick roll cast and lift and i can "usually" keep them out of the slop.that's why i keep them simple and easy to tie.getting the fish out is a different story.

New Topic Add Reply