It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Apr 2017, 15:07 • #1 
Master Guide
Can someone post a picture here or email me of an older model of the medallion with the traditional bronze base? I have a chance to get one for a decent price but the base in not marked Made in USA and it has what appears to a be a solid brass ball at end of handle. Looks to be in great shape. Last I was wondering if the new jaw heads being made today fit the older ones?

I'm not having much luck trying to find pictures or history online of the Regal vise's.

Russ

Post 01 Apr 2017, 16:04 • #2 
Guide
Not sure bout the base, but that ball on the end of the handle is factory on those early models.

Post 01 Apr 2017, 17:04 • #3 
Master Guide
I forgot to mention the base is marked Regal Engineering. And it seems gold in color. I noticed the new ones being made now are marked the Regal Engineering with the added Made In USA. That's why I was wondering if it's right.

Russ

Post 01 Apr 2017, 17:09 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Here are a couple of my pedestal base Regal

Post 05 Apr 2017, 04:23 • #5 
Master Guide
I wonder if the later adding of "made in usa" was to make sure the real thing stands out more clearly from the Indian made clones? I didn't have a Medallion, but my Regal was an early one with the black plastic ball on the end of the handle.

There's a short, "How It's Made" video on you tube showing how one version of the Regal Medallion is made.

BB

Post 05 Apr 2017, 18:37 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
years ago i bought the knock off at a pretty high end tackle store not knowing the difference.saw the style and thought it was the same one i saw in flytyer etc.got ripped off.was less than 100 but way more than it was worth.still use it for big flies some.the knock offs are not worth it unless you just want a cheap vise as a backup.

Post 06 Apr 2017, 17:35 • #7 
Master Guide
I don't know about the one you are interested in. I sounds like the real thing.

For what it's worth I did see a BBC crime series on PBS a few years ago that included a scene where an old tweed-jacket pipe-smoking guy was tying a fly. The actor was pretending to tie in front of what looked like a Regal but I could tell--even on TV--that it wasn't the real deal.

A Brit i know told me Pakistani knockoffs are common in England.

Post 06 Apr 2017, 19:35 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
the knock off vises do not have as narrowly tapered jaws as a regal.i think the vise itself should be marked with the brand.the knock off i use is buried at the moment.it has a black plastic ball on the end that can be loosened to rotate the vise.it is not a rotary vise,this just lets you turn it over to see the other side.

Post 08 Apr 2017, 15:18 • #9 
Master Guide
Jeff thanks for posting your vise! Mine is more of a brighter gold in color. Even the threads where the knob screws in base are gold in color. It does have a solid brass knob on vise. Still hoping to see more photos of earlier examples if possible.

Thanks,

Russ

Post 08 Apr 2017, 16:13 • #10 
Guide
brass tarnishes, no?

Post 08 Apr 2017, 21:32 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I had (donated it) a Regal clamp model from about 1986 or so as I remember - the round handle I know was threaded steel or brass but was black, so maybe blued. It was not painted, that I know.

Post 22 Apr 2017, 09:32 • #12 
FFR Founder
The bronze base was an option, so impossible to date by that alone. The bronze ball-ended handle was circa early 80's. Here's a shot of the standard base of that era.

New Topic Add Reply