It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 03:05

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Vise advice
Post 18 Feb 2016, 14:36 • #26 
Sport
If I were to opt for the Renzetti Traveler, is there any reason to buy the 2200 or 2300 over the standard 2000 version?

Post 18 Feb 2016, 18:02 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
nothing that affects your tying that I recall... mostly cosmetic.

Post 18 Feb 2016, 18:16 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
I always liked the one that clamps on to a table always felt more secure.....aurelio

Post 12 Nov 2017, 17:28 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
pittendrigh wrote:
RE> "Pittendrigh, I'm at a loss why a Nor and Regal Revolution are true rotary and the Renzetti Traveller is not. "

The Renzetti Traveller cannot be spun at high speed. Also, on my Renzetti if I loosen various rings up so I can turn the vise at all the adjustments in general are now loose and not stable. If I leave it and use it that way long enough--stuff starts to come apart.

I'm bumping this topic back. Has anyone fit a counter-balance on the Traveler. I have less problem with the lack of speed, but when you loosen it up to make it really easy to spin, it actually drops back down to it's resting place on it's own. It would be nice to have a vise that has a center of mass that is close to the axis of rotation.

Do I just have to tighten the renzetti down so it doesn't drop on it's own and live with that? I've been getting back into tying and wanted to try rotary tying.

Post 12 Nov 2017, 22:26 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Ive had my Peak vise for a couple of years now and have no intentions of getting anything else.You can also get a lot of add-ons for the Peak.

Post 12 Nov 2017, 23:27 • #31 
Master Guide
I will offer this much. I was right where you are now, several times over the years. As a result, I have bought, tied with and sold an HMH Standard, HMH Spartan, Renzetti Traveler, Dyna-King Barracuda and a Danvise. Each time I have gone back to the non-rotary Regal Medallion. I currently have the SS Medallion which I use and another Spartan C-clamp collecting dust as my travel kit. I have yet to find a rotary vise that offers anything that trumps the Regal's functionality. That opinion is formed by no lack of trying to prove myself wrong. Good luck in your search.

Post 13 Nov 2017, 13:48 • #32 
Guide
why are you interested in the rotary? if its just to see the other side of the fly, then don't bother, you can do that with the regal.
Regal also have a full rotary vise too.

E

Post 13 Nov 2017, 21:21 • #33 
Guide
I use a Renzetti Traveler 2200 and love it! It just does everything I ask it to do the way I ask it to do it. At one time or another over the last 35 years I've used just about every vise on the market, and for the money I think it's the best on the market.

Post 13 Nov 2017, 23:22 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
s fontinalis wrote:
why are you interested in the rotary? if its just to see the other side of the fly, then don't bother, you can do that with the regal.

I have both a regal and renzetti traveler. I really would like to try and understand why some people love the rotary vises. I've watched people tie and it does lay on material very evenly and quickly and if I were tying dozens of flies in a sitting, I can imagine it would be really nice.

I finally have committed to trying it and just ran into what I believe is the same problem Pittendrigh mentioned. The traveler is not ballanced. It just seems a bit annoying.

Post 14 Nov 2017, 07:55 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know anything about the Peak, Anvil or Renzetti vise other than to have seen them. I used a Regal for 15 years. The jaws chipped while spitting out a hook so before I sent it back for a replacement, I grabbed a Griffin Patriot I found on closeout. It came with a clamp and pedestal. I wound up selling the Regal and still have the Griffin (19 years and counting) . I tie lots of midges...down to a #32. I don't know what all you need from a vise. I'm happy with my Griffin. It holds hooks well. It's easy to use and adjust readily for numerous tying chores.

Post 27 Dec 2017, 12:32 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
I know I'm in a very small minority but I didn't like the Renzetti I had and sold it.I now have a Peak and love it.I also have a Regal Inex that I would still be using except for the fact that it doesn't rotate.I think the Regals or copies have the best jaw design on the market.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply