It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 06:42

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Vise advice
Post 17 Feb 2016, 09:47 • #1 
Sport
I have been using a Regal Medallion vise for decades and really like it. However, I'm am becoming increasingly interested in getting a rotary vise without breaking the bank. I am currently considering the Peak, HMH Spartan and Renzetti Traveler (2000 or 2200) vises (in other words vices <$200).

Will anyone with experience with any of these models please give me their opinion? Thanks.

Re: Vise advice
Post 17 Feb 2016, 10:43 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The HMH is probably the highest quality of the three and it rotates, but it isn't what's considered to be a true rotary. It won't rotate the hook along the shank of the hook. That's important for wrapping hackle, palmering, etc. The other two you mention WILL do that and it's a toss up between those two. There are other choices from Griffin and Anvil, but I think you've picked the two that would be at the top of my list in this price range. But they have slightly different feature sets which may help determine which one you want. They clamp differently but both hold a hook extremely well, but neither will probably hold a hook quite as well as your Regal which is more important on big bass flies than it is on trout flies. The Peak is a little more solidly built in that it's shaft is stainless steel. The shaft on the Renzetti, last time I looked, was still aluminum. It will bend if you put too much force on it. It's still pretty sturdy though and can be bent back if need be. The aluminum makes for a lighter vise though. The jaws on the Renzetti are adjustable in height and the Peak is not. This affects your ability to align hooks directly in the rotary line of the hook shaft. This is less important than you might think but if you align the hook shaft on a small hook, it's not going to line up with a large bass hook. Regardless, the Peak is fixed and the Renzetti is adjustable. It's not continuously adjustable but has a couple height settings to choose from which is sufficient. The jaw shape and angle is a little better on the Renzetti for small trout flies than the Peak, while the Peaks are better for larger flies. But they both hold a wide range of hook sizes. The rotary tension adjustment on the Renzetti seems to be a little easier to fine tune on the Renzetti. That may or may not be important to you. It affects how the rotary or turning tension feels. Both can clamp down on the shaft heavy enough to hold a fly for viewing in place. There is a bit more room for materials and fingers behind the hook on the Renzetti. The turning bar on the Renzetti is shaped a little better so your finger doesn't slide up and down it while turning. If you get a base, the Peak is larger and sturdier and is white, which is nice for finding small things. But the smaller base of the Renzetti along with its lighter weight, make it better for travel Both have nice c-clamps. I might think of other things but that may be enough for you to decide for now. Either way, they are both nice vises for the money.

Last edited by CrustyBugger on 17 Feb 2016, 13:46, edited 2 times in total.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 10:44 • #3 
Master Guide
I have the Renzetti Traveler and it is genuinely ok. It is so ok, that I have not found a need for a new vise until this one caught my eye. http://store.flyfishfood.com/Griffin-Mo ... grfmon.htm The jaws on the Renzetti are okay. I have the medium and I can make them work, but they aren't the strongest.

$185.00 plus shipping. It looks to be built like a tank. No need for extra jaws. Holds hooks from at least 3/0 down into the 30's. Material clip included for articulated patterns, etc. Comes with both a "C" clamp and pedestal as well as a bobbin cradle. Built in the good old USofA too.

I tie quite a bit and this one will be mine soon.

The guys at flyfishfood.com have a short video in which they sing its' praise

Post 17 Feb 2016, 10:51 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Jgentile hit the nail on the head. I was about to refer you to the same page on Fly Fish Food to see what they say about the mongoose. I have a Peak and it's great. I won't be replacing it. But if I had known about the mongoose and how much they like it before I got the peak, I probably would've gotten it instead. They're great guys and I get a lot of my tying supplies from their website.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 11:23 • #5 
Sport
The Mongoose was also on my list but I forgot to include it. I'm glad to brought it up. Thanks.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 12:35 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Regal and Renzetti traveler. The combinaton is great.

I wouldn't want the Renzetti traveler as my only vise, but it is great for the cases where I want a rotary vise.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 12:45 • #7 
Guide
You left out the Wolff Ind Atlas. US mfg, lifetime warranty, both pedestal and clamp style mounts, and jaws capable of 7/0 to 32 hook range. Best thing is, can be purchased for under 130.00 including shipping

Vise advice
Post 17 Feb 2016, 13:11 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
That Mongoose looks different than they used to be. It looks like they changed the rotary tension mechanism. The big problem I had with them in the past was they were so clunky. There isn't counterbalancing on any of these vises. The Mongoose has lots of weight below the center of gravity and the rotary tension didn't do a good job of making up for it. Maybe that's changed. I would try it before you buy it. If you keep the Regal, I'd go with the Traveler. If not, I'd go with the Peak or Mongoose. The Anvil(Wolff) features are nice but not as well executed as the others. I'd also be concerned about the support since it changed hands.

Last edited by CrustyBugger on 17 Feb 2016, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 13:29 • #9 
Piscator
The inexpensive rotary that H&H sells is a clone of the Renzetti traveler, also available with a nice base - I've used mine for 20+ years, midges to salt.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 13:35 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I had a Renzetti Traveler and have nothing bad to say about it. Crusty sums it up very well, so I'll just agree with everything he said. Particularly about the rotary tension. It's something I hadn't thought about, but makes a big difference to me. The Renzetti generally works well and gets out of your way.

That being said, the Mongoose looks nice.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 14:13 • #11 
Sport
I intend to keep the Regal and use it for saltwater flies. The rotary vise will be for trout size flies. The lack of adjustment on the Peak (i.e. to get the shaft as close to center as possible) is bothersome to me. Will this be an issue when tying size 12-18 flies?

Post 17 Feb 2016, 15:03 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't found it interferes with true rotary tying. The Renzetti is held at height by a screw, so it's not like you're going to be changing between its several height adjustments without taking some time to get out the tools. If you're like me (and I suspect like the vast majority of fly tiers) you'd end up just leaving it in the middle setting and dealing with it.

I had the Anvil Atlas and while its jaws are easily moved up and down to adjust for hook size, at least on mine, when you tightened the nut that held it in place, it caused the axis of the jaws to cock just a little, so your hook wasn't on the same plane as the vise anymore but kind of pointing off to the side. That drove me crazy and was part of the reason I sold mine, and part of the reason I didn't mind the fact that the jaws are fixed on the peak... One less thing to mess with, I figured.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 15:13 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I've had a peak for several years and have no complaints whatsoever.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 15:29 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
On the Peak, flies 10-16 are near the central rotary line. The further away, the worse it gets but it bothers some people more than it does others. Usually it doesn't bother folks much. If you're not speed tying like you would on a Nor-Vice, you probably won't care. It doesn't bother me as long as the shaft stays level which it does on the Peak, Anvil, Renzetti, etc. It won't do that on the HMH. The Renzetti and Mongoose have a couple of positions which works well but it's not like you can fine tune them. They just get you close which is more than enough. I forget what the Anvil can do. My JVice and a few others can be fine tuned to any height but those get pricey.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 16:20 • #15 
Master Guide
I have Renzetti Traveler Regal Medallion and Nor. The Renzetti can be slowly readjusted to any 360 degree position but you cannot spin it at high speed the way you can the Nor. This is surprisingly useful for too many reasons to list. The Nor and the new Regal Revolution are the only true rotary vises I'm aware of. There may be others.

I use the Regal Medallion most often. But when I do spin that Nor I'm happy about it. If I find some money in the ditch or by the side of the road any time soon I'll try the Regal Revolution. Trouble is it's expensive. Regal does make high quality stuff.

I have a Regal foot-release anchor system for my drift boat and it's the best one out there.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 16:56 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
HMH are wonderful, though I sold mine here and just use the tried and beloved Thompson A. I am easy to please.
RFMcD

Post 17 Feb 2016, 17:49 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Pittendrigh, I'm at a loss why a Nor and Regal Revolution are true rotary and the Renzetti Traveller is not. All three are and so are the Peak and Anvil Atlas mentioned above. Others include the DynaKing Barracuda and JVice. They can all rotate a hook along the hook shank's axis. Vises that rotate but can't rotate along the hook shank's axis are the HMH Spartan, DynaKing Professional, Anvil Apex, etc. The Nor is VERY fast though, at speeds most others are not capable of.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 20:52 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
My Renzetti traveler is over 20 years old and is doing great but I don't use hooks larger than 12,if I was tying streamers and bigger stuff I would look at dyna king.I bought my traveler before their Patton ran out and they were the only rotary vice made......aurelio

Last edited by aurelio corso on 17 Feb 2016, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 21:02 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Tied on a Danvise for eight years, then a Peak for a few and finally splurged on a J Vise. The first two are good and the J is exquisite. The Danvise is a real bargain. I eventually gave it to a new fly tyer and bought and Peak. The Danvise is super and the Peak could last a lifetime, easy to tie with. The J Vise is simply in another category. Okay, lots of help I know. :)

The rotary is just a feature, nothing essential. You can find videos of guys who tie without a vise or even on one they made. I saw a guy using a ViceGrip once.

Last edited by Rockthief on 17 Feb 2016, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Feb 2016, 22:41 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Well, I guess I'm (with Ratface) in the minority. I use a Thompson A vise. I can tie anything and everything I need using it. I don't tie very large or very small flies - from #4s down to #22s - and have gotten along just fine. If I was tying commercially or tied a lot of flies in a wider range of sizes, and/or complex patterns I probably would get a rotary vise.

Vise advice
Post 18 Feb 2016, 06:59 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Lee Wulff tied with no vise, using only his hands. It's a great watch.

Post 18 Feb 2016, 12:38 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Crusty, I do remember seeing the clip of Wulff tying a fly with hook held in his fingers. If I'm not mistaken he did not use a bobbin either. Amazing. Of course, Wulff was the consummate spokesman for the sport, and for catch-and-release. He was a master marketer too. Tying without a vise, fishing with just a line --no reel, no rod, and his "20-20 club" all examples of clever marketing and showmanship which helped to advance the cause of conservation of cold water fisheries. An unequaled innovator and promoter of our sport. But I would still rather use a vise. Even if it is a Thompson A. :-)

Post 18 Feb 2016, 12:45 • #23 
Master Guide
CrustyBugger wrote:

To further derail this thread.... Has anyone ever seen that old Movie with Jimmy Stewart who plays a lawyer in Michigan I believe. In one scene he is tying a fly with his hands in the court room.

Post 18 Feb 2016, 13:01 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
jgentile wrote:
CrustyBugger wrote:

To further derail this thread.... Has anyone ever seen that old Movie with Jimmy Stewart who plays a lawyer in Michigan I believe. In one scene he is tying a fly with his hands in the court room.

Anatomy of a Murder, adapted from the novel of that name, written by John Voelker, a/k/a Robert Traver, also author of Trout Magic, etc. Which if you haven't read, you should.

I believe the opening sequence has Jimmy Stewart arriving home from a fishing trip and dealing with his catch in the kitchen.

Post 18 Feb 2016, 14:03 • #25 
Master Guide
RE> "Pittendrigh, I'm at a loss why a Nor and Regal Revolution are true rotary and the Renzetti Traveller is not. "

The Renzetti Traveller cannot be spun at high speed. Also, on my Renzetti if I loosen various rings up so I can turn the vise at all the adjustments in general are now loose and not stable. If I leave it and use it that way long enough--stuff starts to come apart.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply