It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Mar 2008, 10:33 • #1 
Master Guide

Hook: 10-12 dry fly
Body: yellow and black Superhair strands over pale olive silk
Tail: microfibetts
Dry hackle: ginger saddle clipped on the bottom, four turns
Soft hackle: pale yellow mallard over olive moorhen feather, single turn, reversed/umbrella style

Post 27 Mar 2008, 13:38 • #2 
Master Guide
Musicar,
That's a beautiful fly.

Post 27 Mar 2008, 14:17 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That is really irresistable to fish and fisherman! I love the superhair idea ... make them a really tough fly. Very nice! : )

Post 27 Mar 2008, 14:39 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks friends! I like that you can really fine tweak the body color with superhair-depending what color of main thread you use as an underbody. Sometimes I use clear superhair, too, but all colors are really useful. For very small flies I don't use the contrasting superhair color. For really big flies, you can go with three colors for an interesting effect.

Post 27 Mar 2008, 14:54 • #5 
Administrator
musicar ... FINE FINE WORK! Indeed! One of these ties will surely find it's place in the maw of a brown trout.

Post 27 Mar 2008, 15:06 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks Cam-I am thinking that spring is around the corner, so it can't be long ... can't wait!

Post 27 Mar 2008, 16:41 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Umberella style ... hhhmmm. So, does the body hang down, suspended from the circle of hackle on the surface? Looking like a cripple stuck in the film? Might be a good pattern tied in callebaetis size and color for a callebaetis hatch on some lakes I know. Very nice work, and very nice photo.

Thanks!

Wacokid54

Post 27 Mar 2008, 17:22 • #8 
Master Guide
Hello Wacokid54,

Exactly-this type of fly imitates a freshly hatched insect, in the surface film, and that's what makes it so effective. It is not a full blown dun which pirouettes on its hackle tips, but rather a half-soggy imitation of a helpless insect, trapped in the film. This one (below) might be a better imitation of a Callibaetis (it uses a moose mane body).

Reverse aka umbrella hackle is common on many old European wet and some dry patterns (esp. in Italy, France, etc.) The added clipped dry hackle is my modification of an old concept.

Thanks and regards,
Vlad

Post 28 Mar 2008, 06:57 • #9 
Master Guide
Vlad, I had never seen a Soft hackle dry until I looked at your blog. It's a very cool concept. By the way, where do you get your Snipe and Moorhen hackle from?

Jeremy

Post 28 Mar 2008, 08:05 • #10 
Master Guide
Hi Jeremy,

I get them from Blue Ribbon Flies-they are pretty quick to ship stuff, too. They also sell some other nice wild bird hackles suitable for similar flies such as coot, jackdaw, starling, etc.

Thanks,
Vlad

Post 28 Mar 2008, 10:08 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
So, do you only apply flotant to the hackle and softhackle? Let the rest sink? Man, the gulpers at South Delaney Lake in North Park (Colorado) will love this!

Wacokid54

Post 28 Mar 2008, 10:22 • #12 
Master Guide
That's right. This concept became my 'go to' pattern for spring creeks in the Upper Midwest. Also, if you clip the dry hackle on the stream (clipped barbules will create a nice thorax), you can fish it under the surface as an emerging soft hackled nymph on the greased leader. This is my favorite type of trout fishing and perfect in combination with glass rods.

New Topic Add Reply