It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:00

1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Feb 2011, 17:21 • #1 
Emeritus
Hello all, I know many tying sites have a "œWhat is in your vise"

Last edited by HouzeHead on 07 Feb 2011, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Feb 2011, 04:24 • #2 
Sport
I live in the Panhandle of North Idaho and I fish the Coeur D'Alene, Priest, Clearwater (for steelhead) and Pend Oreille rivers plus lots of small creeks and some of the lakes.
I don't have any pics since the digital camera broke, but I've been tying 17th century-style snelled, no-hackle winged flies lately just because they are so cool looking. I've been spending most of the winter tying up the usual suspects to fill out the boxes but I'm really getting into these old, old flies. Gonna try some out next week at Priest River.

RevGeo

Post 17 Feb 2011, 16:56 • #3 
Guide
I fish in Central Oregon, mainly the middle and upper Deschutes. I have been filling my streamer box. I fished nothing but Muddlers and Wooly Buggers fron August until it was to cold to fish. My flys aren't presentation grade but they catch fish.

Mike

Post 24 Feb 2011, 13:29 • #4 
FFR Founder
These are for Maine smallies this coming season ...
Quill Minnow, Page, Round Lake

Here's a trolling streamer for Maine salmon and togue:
Red Viper

Post 24 Feb 2011, 13:45 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice work FT ... I love the Red Viper and and Quill Minnow, they are way cool. What is the wing material on the Red Viper? it's beautiful.

Post 24 Feb 2011, 13:54 • #6 
FFR Founder
Criscip the wing on the Red Viper is made up from gray saddle, pintail flank, lady amherst, goose fibers and ruffed grouse! Lots on that one - it's fun! Alec

Post 24 Feb 2011, 15:01 • #7 
Emeritus
Great looking flies I could see the Red Viper being being an excellent wounded baitfish imitation. What is the hook size / shank length?

HH

Post 24 Feb 2011, 15:19 • #8 
FFR Founder
Houzehead that's a big hook - it's a #2 10XL.

Post 24 Feb 2011, 16:58 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Alec that red viper is sweeet!

Post 24 Feb 2011, 17:21 • #10 
Master Guide
The Red Viper Rules!

Post 17 Mar 2011, 10:29 • #11 
Master Guide
Well I live up here in the PNW and primarily fish for Cutthroat (fresh & Salt), Steelhead, and Salmon (fresh & Salt). These last few years I've been able to do more bass type fishing since I met a neighbor who is from S. Carolina and owns a boat ...
My most recent outing (last week) was on the Oly Penn fishing my beloved Sol Duc for metalheads and Cutthroat.

Primarily Hairwings, speys, and buggers!

Then when the water is not quite like it is in the above photo ... what I call Big Uglies!

Sauk River, Wa. for beautiful Dollies (primarily) and Steelhead ...

and the release!

Saltwater box for Cutthroat and resident Coho ...

My lake selection, which isn't much, but still figuring those fisheries out ...

Probably my favorite style of spey ... Glasso Speys ...

Post 27 Nov 2011, 18:42 • #12 
Master Guide
Harley,

where did you get your tackle bag?

Post 28 Nov 2011, 13:06 • #13 
Sport
#20 Tricos & BWO, fishing in the Great Smoky Mtns National Park.

Post 28 Nov 2011, 15:02 • #14 
Hare's ear soft hackles and a local stocked pond. Stocked rainbows are fun at times.

Post 30 Nov 2011, 01:09 • #15 
Sport
Ditto on the Hare's ear soft hackles. Hare's ear do really good here on the DH sections. I've noticed some of the larger fish take the chartruse green weenie imitation I had tied on though ... interesting.

I mainly fish the Mitchell River, which is a DH river here in the upper piedmont of NC

Post 30 Nov 2011, 01:10 • #16 
Sport
But apparently there's a shortage of hungarian partridge feathers, so tying soft hackles with "substitute" materials just doesn't work so hot.

Post 30 Nov 2011, 13:05 • #17 
Master Guide
@Boo, I ordered it online from a surplus store, I don't remember the name. I think it was Bulldog that had mentioned the store before so you might want to ask him. I does pretty good, but now that I'm back into the cold rainy season up here (winter) I think I'm going to pick up one of those messenger bags from recycled waders ...

Post 03 Dec 2011, 14:36 • #18 
Guide
[align=]My name is Romain. I was born in September 1958 and I have three children. I worked in an medical institution for elderly people. I help them in their daily lives.
I have been a flyfisherman since 1970. I live in the (French speaking) west of Switzerland (Jura). I live in 3 kilometers to a village wich is called Courfaivre or the first CDC fly was tying ... I fish mainly with artificial flies in CDC

The CDC Story
Like the famous Swiss army-knife or the healthy muesli the fluffy CDC-Fly is a genuine product of Switzerland as well. CDC is the abbreviation of "Cul de canard" which is French for "Duck's arse". Not right at the backside, but on the top of the duck's tail is the preen-gland, which oils and waterproofs the aquatic bird. Around that gland are approximately Maximilien Joset two dozen small feathers - the cdc's. They are fluffy and due to their natural impregnation absorb very little water. The cdc-feathers give a natural "live-effect" which imitates the wings of many mayflies and other insects perfectly. In contrast to the barbs of a cock-hackle the cdc-hackles have very small kinked and twisted barbules that trap air and increase floatability. It is unknown who created the first cdc-patterns.

But in 1920 the Swiss fly-tyers Maximilien Joset in Courfaivre and Charles Bickel in Valorbe tied the first small series of simple cdc-patterns to fool the smart and suspicious trout and graylings of the chalk-streams in the Swiss Jura area. The body of those flies were made of raffia or thread. The flies had no wings and just a cdc-hackle instead of a cock-hackle turned around the hook-shank in the classical way.[/align]

(Maximilien Joset pattern style) "le moustique jurassien"

French style (Devaux patterns)

Post 03 Dec 2011, 14:58 • #19 
Master Guide
Very nice ties Romain, and welcome! It's always nice to see ties froma round this very small world we now live in (thanks to the internet). Your countrymen were really onto something with the CDC--it's a great material and will give that different but natural appearance sometimes needed.

Tying here has now entered the #16 soft hackle (black silk & Starling or Hare's Ear & Partridge) and #20-24 midges.

Post 18 Jan 2012, 21:33 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
For me it's been pink squirrels, scuds, rubber legged fox squirrel nymphs, assorted softackles and Klinkhammers for trout in Wisconsin and larger rubber legged fox squirrel nymphs and Chris Helm's panfish nymphs for panfish.

Post 16 Feb 2012, 13:00 • #21 
Sport
I've been tying up a local pattern known as a Westfield River Bug. It's basically a variation on a bead head PT nymph, and seems to be very effective in caddis and stonefly heavy streams. I like 'em big- size 8-10, dead drifted, swung, dropped below a beefy EHC- whatever works for ya! I fish mainly in Western MA and Northern NH.

Hook- size 8-12 nymph or wet
Gold Bead
Tail- PT fibers
Body- green floss, wrapped over the butt ends of the tail fibers. I will often put some weight under the floss
Rib- gold or silver wire (the fish don't seem to care what color it is)
Abdomen- Peacock
Arms/Legs- PT fibers, spit by wing case
Wing Case- white antron yarn (or something similar)
Thread- I like black 6/0

Post 16 Feb 2012, 17:45 • #22 
Guide
Been into wet flies lately, and furnishing my own materials ... some of the time, anyway. Here's a simple pattern, starling and purple, on a 12 wet fly hook.

Post 16 Feb 2012, 22:49 • #23 
Emeritus
Great flies shown thanks for posting! The starling /purple may be simple but it is lethal pattern for many species.

Brookie Muddler
Post 08 Oct 2012, 09:37 • #24 
Sport
Jazzing up the old muddler for some big trout in the High SierraImage

Post 25 Mar 2013, 14:22 • #25 
Sport
I will tie the Haystack and fish it in the Smoky Mountains this Spring.

Chips

1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply